TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The Wii is no bigger than a school textbook (it might even be a hell of a lot smaller in most cases.) You can put it anywhere and it would take up little to no room at all. Your argument is that you don't want to give up the extra space for it, but what extra space are you losing? The small crack between your TV and the wall?
Oh yes, I agree. But space is space to me, especially if this "cut off compatibility after 2 generations" trend continues with future consoles.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Well your NES, SNES and N64 can all be covered nicely by emulating them on the Wii, so that's *that* problem solved.
Wii also plays GameCube games - so keeping your Wii give you access to everything you need up to and including Wii.

WiiU, if you decide to get it, will give you support to Wii-U and Wii. So you have 2 choices there.

*IF* the Wii-U eventually gets hacked, you'll most likely be able to use that for Gamecube then, so you can probably get rid of your Wii.
If not, then if you get the Wii-U's successor you will most likely get backwards compatibility to the Wii-U. So there you can get rid of the Wii U and just run the Wii and whatever the next generation is.

So for this generation, and the next 2, all your (Nintendo) games can be played by just having 2 systems. That's probably a good 10+ years into the future where you'll be OK with just 2 consoles. I don't know how old you are, but I'm guessing reasonably young. If that's the case then I can assure you you'll have much more important things to be worrying about in 10 years than how many games consoles you need to play all your favourite games on!

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Well your NES, SNES and N64 can all be covered nicely by emulating them on the Wii, so that's *that* problem solved.
Wii also plays GameCube games - so keeping your Wii give you access to everything you need up to and including Wii.
That's precisely what I do. That said, I still like to use the original hardware for nostalgia purposes. A bit stubborn? Maybe. But even so, compatibility on the emulators is imperfect, even among NES. and not that many N64 games work very well on the Wii64 emulator, unfortunately.
WiiU, if you decide to get it, will give you support to Wii-U and Wii. So you have 2 choices there.

*IF* the Wii-U eventually gets hacked, you'll most likely be able to use that for Gamecube then, so you can probably get rid of your Wii.
If not, then if you get the Wii-U's successor you will most likely get backwards compatibility to the Wii-U. So there you can get rid of the Wii U and just run the Wii and whatever the next generation is.
*Head spins from overthinking* :wacko:
So for this generation, and the next 2, all your (Nintendo) games can be played by just having 2 systems. That's probably a good 10+ years into the future where you'll be OK with just 2 consoles. I don't know how old you are, but I'm guessing reasonably young. If that's the case then I can assure you you'll have much more important things to be worrying about in 10 years than how many games consoles you need to play all your favourite games on!
Depends how you define "reasonably young." I'm a 22-year-old college student. Unfortunately, you're probably right. *Sigh*... Oh the tragedy of getting old and mature!

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
That's precisely what I do. That said, I still like to use the original hardware for nostalgia purposes. A bit stubborn? Maybe. But even so, compatibility on the emulators is imperfect, even among NES. and not that many N64 games work very well on the Wii64 emulator, unfortunately.

Right, you've just totally contradicted yourself. You want future generations to have backwards compatibility so you dont take too much space with other consoles, which you want to keep anyway for nostalgia!

Depends how you define "reasonably young." I'm a 22-year-old college student. Unfortunately, you're probably right. *Sigh*... Oh the tragedy of getting old and mature!

Yea, that's still reasonably young! There's nowt wrong with getting "old and mature anyway". Doesn't necessarily mean fun stops, depending on paths you take, of course. Just means you're more likely to have more space anyway, and space you can pretty much do what you like with. Anyway, I'm not even that much older than you. But I lived for a long time in a VERY small room so I understand the importance of space-saving!

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Right, you've just totally contradicted yourself. You want future generations to have backwards compatibility so you dont take too much space with other consoles, which you want to keep anyway for nostalgia!
As long as it plays without emulation, I honestly don't care. I just want the game experience to be the same. Example, I gave away my Gamecube to my sister since my Wii can play gamecube games. It does so with the original controls, perfect compatibility, and no emulation. Therefore, I have no need to keep the GameCube. Heck, I wouldn't even mind emulation through virtual console if the compatibility was perfect (and the majority of titles were available), but they're not. I suppose "nostalgia" was a poor word to use, and I can't really think of another word for it (Sorry, it's 1:30am here, and I'm tired). Basically, as long as I can play the games with the exact same experience (perfect compatibility, preferably same controls, etc) I'll be perfectly content. Unfortunately, That's not available without using the original hardware on any system, except playing GameCube on Wii. :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)