justification of region-locking

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by eriol33, Feb 17, 2014.

1. eriol33
    OP

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    what do you think? is there any justification of some console manufacturer or industry in general to region-lock their software/movies? since we are living in a free-trade world, region-locking seems just so... backward. why the heck nintendo is actually reimplementing region-lock? because the protest from local retailer?

since I lived in southeast asia, the games sold here is actually asia/us version which is still affordable (although it's still expensive). when I arrived in NZ, I was so shocked when visiting EB games, all the games are ridiculously overpriced. I cannot believe anyone actually bought from them. why don't they just sell all games without PAL/NTSC coding so everyone will be happy?

2. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    Nintendo regions locks because they want equal splitting of the profits (supposedly)

But that's horrible reasoning since most people would still buy within their region anyway

GamerzHell9137 likes this.
  3. 2ndApex

2ndApex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    PAL/NTSC aren't regions, they're TV output systems. NA television's happen to use NTSC, while Europe uses PAL.

That being said, it's not a justification for region locking anymore because consoles can easily play and display games from other regions properly. There's no benefit for the consumer, it's just to keep people in EU paying shit prices and preventing people in NA from importing so they can buy the localized versions a bajillion years later even when they don't have to.

TyBlood13 likes this.
  4. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    If region locking weren't in place, there wouldn't be as much notable profit for Australia and the other countries with bad prices, so they would have severely dropped support.
    I know that if I could buy Wii U games from the US, I would do that.

5. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Well, somebody has to be the bad guy.

6. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Region locking is advocated on entertainment side for numerous reasons,

* Better revenue division
    * Clearly defined IP rights (editing + licensing + publishing)
    * Different region uses different rating system

Many questioned whether it is an effective system though. Most people wouldn't import due to language and/or currency barriers. For those who will import, they account for tiny fraction of total buyers. They at best serve as a deterrent against small amount of importers.

Take many MMORPG as example, which uses IP address to filter its players. If you are a technical person you can use VPN to defeat it.

7. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    The other funny part is that all Nintendo handhelds, GB, GBC, GBA, NDS, were all region free, but when the 3DS was released, region locking is added. The previous consoles were phenomenal successes despite being region free, and yet the 3DS is. That makes no sense whatsoever seeing as there was so much success in the previous generations.

8. eriol33
    OP

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    ^nintendo usually goes by saying to combat piracy blah blah blah, but is that the case?

9. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    There is no justification of region locking for console or mobile games, I understand PC visual novels with the most extreme content but true adult games haven't been on consoles since the Saturn and PC-FX, thus they can no longer use the blocking of content as a reason for region locking on them.

10. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Look at it this way: at least your region will be secure against people breaking in. But I must say I've had a PAL game for several years now which I've been unable to play because of these restrictions. It is rather annoying. Sometimes I wonder if America is just displaying its rebellion against the rest of the world: we get NTSC formats and the rest of the world gets PAL. (Japan and Korea are in their own world.) WHY!?!!??!?!? :cry:

11. eriol33
    OP

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    uh yeah I can feel you. my 3DS is asia version, so it can only play US cartridges (yay!). but it cannot play games sold in new zealand since it's pal region. not like I will buy anything from the local retailer anyway... the games are too overpriced (although I love shopping for used games). even importing from play-asia or amazon is much cheaper. I even more pissed off when realized that steam actually impose me higher price for several new AAA titles such as assassin's creed IV. I swear the price was cheaper when I was in my home country.

12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Actually, Japan has both 50 and 60 Hz depending on the region, which is weird. If we could get PAL resolution without the 20% speed reduction, I'd be fine with that.

13. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Actually if a game really has questionable contents then it would be more effective to mark it as illegal to possess rather than imposing region locking.

14. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Not in this case. If you've got sources on that, I'd really like to hear them because what I'm about to say would be completely wrong.

Initially, region locking was invented because regionalizing games took time and effort (translating, different TV outputs, different rating system by the governments to allow the game to be sold...that sort of stuff) and they wouldn't want unofficial salesmen starting to import (or even spoil?) those games before the companies had a chance to. This system sort of lead to other effects. Australia and New Zealand had huge import taxes, and with no way for inhabitants to import it, they pretty much had to pay the full price.

In today's day and age, manuals aren't so important anymore, HDMI is the same around the world and the rating systems are more up to par...and with the internet and online sales (eg. the eshop), region locking is no longer necessary. So nintendo's decision to region lock the 3DS...I hate to say it, but they just follow yesterday's trends on that. trumpet-205's arguments are true, but all of those could have been overcome (I mean...if sony and microsoft can do it, there's no reason why ninty can't).

And in Australia and NZ...video game prices were always high in that area. For some reason, the government likes to tax it pretty heavily (probably because it doesn't make people buy less games).

15. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Ah yes, an important side effect on region locking is that it prevents reverse importation, which is crucial is market such as Brazil, Australia, etc

16. eriol33
    OP

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    and which is very weird. the current NZ custom system (from what I read), there will be no GST for imported stuff less than 60-400, and new zealand is importing most of their games from australia anyway.

If there is no such region lock, the NZ gamers will probably enjoy cheaper price since most new games are around 40-60 anyway. but here, the newest games are like 94 something in retailers. even the old games rarely have price drops and the price is still insane. if there is no steam I'm quite sure I will stop buying game.

17. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Part of the situation is skewed by how, in other countries, companies include tax as part of suggested retail price. It gives them an excuse to charge what they want rather than actual tax.

18. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Erm. What? That has nothing to do with taxing. A flat percentage VAT is always a certain percentage of the total price, not something a company can decide. Here we have a relatively high vat of 24%. If I had a product worth 100 before tax, it would be 124 including the tax. It won't vary between companies. Everyone would pay the same percentage. But I digress..

As for region locking, it's really kinda moot. The consumer has nothing to gain from it, but the company has higher control over the distribution and sales. I've never understood handheld console region locking, but home consoles made sense with different tv formats. Now it's also moot since all modern HDTVs use around the same technology and the input is digital with HDMI.

19. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Apparently it has something to do with parental controls.

20. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    The reason people seem to accept it is that most of them think it's still a technical issue and not a conscious decision.