Just ordered hwfly and oled

Bradle6

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just ordered my hwfly lite and a oled switch to mod in the early January when the chip arrives.

I've been reading all the posts on it so far and just everything I can find. For those of you who have done it. Any tips you have that will help that maybe the videos I've watched etc haven't said?.

Can't wait to upgrade from my v1 switch.

doom95

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Watch sthetix' video ;)
If you're not into microsoldering, take a lot of patience. Do things 1st time right. Work in a tidy space. Ask questions if uncertain, don't wing it.

Over the years, electronic component footprints have shrunk. Things are really small nowadays, and if you knock of a resistor you're not likely to retrieve it so you'll have to replace it. You'll need good soldering gear too. A generic 936 clone probably won't cut it anymore.

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just ordered my hwfly lite and a oled switch to mod in the early January when the chip arrives.

I've been reading all the posts on it so far and just everything I can find. For those of you who have done it. Any tips you have that will help that maybe the videos I've watched etc haven't said?.

Lucky fella !! Look forward to hearing how you get on with this :)

Reactions: bazamuffin

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country

Where did you find your hwfly if you don't mind me asking? You don't have to give me the full web address, just a generalisation if possible. Was it expensive?

Bradle6

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Where did you find your hwfly if you don't mind me asking? You don't have to give me the full web address, just a generalisation if possible. Was it expensive?
I also bought the adaptor I think you are selling doom aswell just incase.

I searched aliexpress and found one with good reviews and ordered it. I then contacted the seller who gave me his whatsapp number and linked me to sthetix video for installation guide. I also mentioned the oled touch screen problem I read about and he assured me this chip has that update fixed as I read here somewhere that we can't flash the update to these chips.

My soldering stuff is not the most expensive I've used it to mod ps4 controllers in the past and a few other bits and bobs. If its not up to the cut I will look into a new one. I got a table all cleared up under a really bright led light giving my self the best chance. Will just attempt it on a day with a clear head so I don't make to many mistakes.

Reactions: peteruk

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
I also bought the adaptor I think you are selling doom aswell just incase.

I searched aliexpress and found one with good reviews and ordered it. I then contacted the seller who gave me his whatsapp number and linked me to sthetix video for installation guide. I also mentioned the oled touch screen problem I read about and he assured me this chip has that update fixed as I read here somewhere that we can't flash the update to these chips.

My soldering stuff is not the most expensive I've used it to mod ps4 controllers in the past and a few other bits and bobs. If its not up to the cut I will look into a new one. I got a table all cleared up under a really bright led light giving my self the best chance. Will just attempt it on a day with a clear head so I don't make to many mistakes.

I wish you luck with it! - I would recommend picking up one of the cheap digital microscopes for micro-soldering. It makes things so much easier, I use mine to repair joy-cons. It makes a world of difference being able to see what you're doing.

Bradle6

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wish you luck with it! - I would recommend picking up one of the cheap digital microscopes for micro-soldering. It makes things so much easier, I use mine to repair joy-cons. It makes a world of difference being able to see what you're doing.

I just ordered a cheap one will return if its not good and pay abit more but hopefully it'll be OK for just doing my switch I don't need to be looking through it 2 3 hours a day like most people so doesn't need to be a expert level one

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking for a shopping list of tools and materials from that video, myself. I didn't catch what that tape was called. The solder mask is easy to find with a UV light for under $5. But... what was the tool used to scratch off the PCB to expose that hidden solder point? Heck, I didn't even catch the exact type/size of the wire used. I'm always afraid to order wire that looks copper, because I'm not sure if it has a coating or not to prevent shorts...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself