Hardware Just noticed something odd...

thekarter104

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. So today I decided to play the 3DS again, but somehow it didn't feel right when I held the 3DS.
I attach a picture so maybe you can see what's wrong.

I don't think I have the required screws to open it to see what's wrong and repair it. As you can see in the picture there's something on the left side.

Hope anyone can help. It's an old 3DS that I bought back in 2011.

Attachments

• IMG_20210930_144117.jpg
    IMG_20210930_144117.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 78

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. So today I decided to play the 3DS again, but somehow it didn't feel right when I held the 3DS.

I don't think I have the required screws to open it to see what's wrong and repair it. As you can see in the picture there's something on the left side.

Battery is pillowed

Reactions: KimKong

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of

thekarter104

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do not turn the system on or plug it in to charge, if the battery is damaged severely it could be a fire hazard & might explode. Just be patient & wait for the replacement, and change it as soon as it arrives.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Taking the back off just requires a normal Philips screwdriver. If you don't have one small enough buy one of those cheap jeweller's screwdriver kits, they come in handy.
But yeah, swollen battery. Take it out right now, you can use the 3DS on the charger without a battery inserted IIRC.
The chances of it exploding or catching fire are probably small, but still, lipo fires are not something you want to have to deal with, they burn aggressively and you can't put it out with a normal fire extinguisher or water, so it's not worth the risk.

Edit: In the future, to avoid this happening, always charge your devices up to at least 50% before putting them away if you are not planning to use them again for a while, and every 6 months check on the battery to make sure it still has plenty of charge and charge it up to 50% again if it's not. 50% is when the battery is in equilibrium so the least amount of wear is put on it. The worst thing you can do with lipo batteries is discharge them and then leave them for a long time to self discharge even further. A battery that's left to self discharge below the minimum safe voltage rating (typically 2.5V) is considered faulty and should be discarded, but usually you can still rescue them, sometimes they swell like this though. It doesn't usually happen with a battery that's been kept in good condition by making sure it never gets fully discharged.
Most important thing is to remove the old battery fast, before it leaks all over the inside and destroy the 3DS!
Lipo batteries don't really leak. There's hardly any liquid inside, and if the battery bursts, you have bigger issues than leaking tbh because it will probably catch on fire and lipo batteries burn aggressively.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: KimKong

yaum

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Lipo batteries don't really leak. There's hardly any liquid inside, and if the battery bursts, you have bigger issues than leaking tbh because it will probably catch on fire and lipo batteries burn aggressively.

For those interested in what's inside a LiPo, have a look here (7:47):

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol