Just got one! Personal experience alongside a quick question...

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by tiduscrying, Jun 22, 2017.

?

Thumper or FAST RMX

Poll closed Jun 24, 2017.
  1. Thumper

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. FAST RMX

100.0%
  1. tiduscrying
    OP

tiduscrying that butt...

Jun 12, 2012
    United States
    HELL
    Success! Glory to mankind! Hell yeah!

I nabbed the Neon model with BOTD, a 3-year warranty and a screen protector for ~$415 today at my local gamestop. I was refreshing istocknow's local map religiously, trying to see what shipping patterns my local shops had. I am near a Walmart that supposedly had 27 of them in stock (I also cross referenced it with brickseek and their app) but when I called them, they didn't have any; 27 was the total amount of consoles they had received in total since the Switch came out, apparently. So I guess their system was just a little behind on updating or something. Either way, I checked some other places and saw my local GS just got a shipment a mere four hours before I checked, proceeded to call and confirm then grabbed my friends and darted over there to get it!

First impressions? I couldn't be happier. I've been told by a lot of people that it doesn't take much to impress me, but I mean holy shit. This thing is awesome! Just the thought of a home console that is also totally a handheld was mind blowing when the switch was first announced... But now that I actually have one in my hands and have gone from handheld to TV mode back and forth, it's just incredible. Not to mention that the build quality of the console feels surprisingly high. It doesn't feel cheap or hollow like the Wii U did. The system has definite "heft" to it, but while still looking sleek as hell and not weighing a ton. It also, to my surprise, doesn't get that hot or noisy at all! When I saw that the Switch had an internal fan back when the hardware was unveiled, I was pretty worried we'd be carrying around little helicopter sounding systems everywhere, but that isn't the case at all. I can't even hear or feel the fan while playing BOTW, even after around an hour or so of gameplay.

My left joycon wobbles just a weeeee bit, but it isn't to the point where it is bothersome. Plus it isn't like I am going to do something stupid like trying to bend the joycons off or something. I also kinda messed up my screen protector installation a bit and there are some bubbles here and there (which kind of bugs me tbh) but it isn't that big of a deal. It's a Zagg screen protector that supposedly "self heals" bubbles and scratches, so I guess I'll look at my system tomorrow to see if any of the bubbles are gone before making a final verdict on the protector.

I will admit that even though I have been planning to get a switch for some time now, this was a bit of an impulse purchase... I was trying to hold off until my birthday in July, but I honestly couldn't wait anymore. My bank account is going to look really bad until my next paycheck, but damn does it feel worth it.

Aside from all of the stuff I just said that totally, in hindsight, should have been a blog post instead of a thread, I have a game recommendation question. I was debating getting a game off the eShop to tide me over until I get MK8 for my birthday and I am currently between Thumper and FAST RMX. I've played them both in one variation or another, Thumper on PC and FAST on my Wii U and know both are great games. I just can't decide which one I want to get first, like immediately right now. Anyone who has either of the games (or hell, even both of them), which one should I prioritize? Can anyone tell me if either of them have that new fangled HD rumble, too? I've been dying to feel that since I first heard about the ice cubes.

dpad_5678 likes this.
  2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I think 1-2-switch is the best demonstration for HD rumble, it basically the tech demo of the switch and joycons. Personally I find it fine, is sure is unique rumble compared to any others i used. Especially in Mighty Gunvolt Burst. HD rumble is used in the game to find hidden destructible walls, is like a heartbeat sensor. I t may be a good example. Is not the best cause is nothing to do with the ice cubes metaphor. But so far I like it In blaster master zero and mighty gunvolt burst. Is okay in shovel knight and I don't remember how it works in zelda since the last time I played. I think is something about the sheikah slate and finding items by pictures or something.

You should try blaster master Zero demo, I made a review of the game, is a very cheap $10 game worth playing by inti creates. :)

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.