Hacking Homebrew Just got my PSP Slim...

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I prefer hassle free over anything, and $10 more for Hassle free works just fine to me. Is there anything I need to know ahead of time if I go the Tool Battery route? Main one being do I still need to make the Magic Memory Stick I keep hearing about? And if yes, can you format it to make it a normal one again afterwords?
Yeah, just follow the ediblebird's guide that I gave you for making a magic memory stick. It's so very easy. The hardest part might be finding the files. If you want, I can just upload it on rapidshare for you. Other than that, you're good to go.

EDIT: Oh and you'll need a computer with WinXP, of course.
laugh.gif

@bobrules: Maybe in Canada but here down in NY, it's pretty expensive for those kind of things. =/

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Good to hear you have it all set up and ready.

On a side note, Battlefront was a disappointment for me. I find MGS:PO more fun, but even then it's irritating.

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IF you're talking about Renegade Squadron, I actually liked the game a lot. Campaign was short but fun and multuplayer looks very fun[even though I didn't play it]

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Honestly, who installs CFW for homebrew? And who gets DS carts for 'brew?

if emulators count as homebrew, then everybody!

my psp would be quite dusty if i couldn't emulate everything on it! It's like a miniature modded xbox. man i love that thing!

Beat me to a response!

Homebrew on the PSP is awesome, I use a tonne of emulators, and my favorite is the ebook reader that can read PDF files as well
grog.gif

Skv0ra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My hardcore brew days ended as soon as DAX integrated DevHook into the FW. Emus were fun, but IMO its more fun playing the robust psp games than the older junk.

TheNeck

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Congrats on getting a psp slim, i just got a psp slim core system yesterday, my daughter also has a psp phat, so I just created a magic stick and pandora battery from this link, and man it was easy, so if you can get a hand on a psp phat go that route.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, finally got my friend over and his fat PSP here. I told him about the "Converting his battery to a Pandora" battery thing, and he doesn't sound too pleased. How exactly do you change it back to a normal one after every thing's all said and done...?

Also on the link TheNeck provided above, there's a "Pandora's Box Easier-Installer" GUI. Do these really actually work?

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, finally got my friend over and his fat PSP here. I told him about the "Converting his battery to a Pandora" battery thing, and he doesn't sound too pleased. How exactly do you change it back to a normal one after every thing's all said and done...?

Also on the link TheNeck provided above, there's a "Pandora's Box Easier-Installer" GUI. Do these really actually work?

It's really easy:

After converting it to a Pandora, you won't be able to play with it as normal (you'll get the black screen if you boot up with the battery in that state) , you'll have to turn the PSP on connected with the DC adapter, after entering the Pandora Maker App, physically connect the battery tot he unit, and press L+R. (Remember to backup the PSRAM of the battery with Triangle when converting it to Pandora.)
Good luck dude.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DC Adapter is the PSP's basic charger, right?
Also, I'm going to use that Graphical GUI thing, but I want to know if anythings different doing it like that. I don't know for sure if the GUI makes a back up like it says to or not...

*Okay I found out that GUI does not do the backup so it looks like I'm doing this manually. Crap...I hope I don't screw up. My friend will be forever pissed at me if that happens.
frown.gif

cityson

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
since i flashed my slim psp today. i feel like posting what i did.

i bought a slim psp from eb today just to find out that it has 3.72 official FW. i was expecting a 3.6 or 3.71. anyway, i didn't know if the pandora installer will work on 3.72 but i continued anyway. the hardest part was not flashing but trying to make a pandora battery. the leg which i have to cut from the circuit board is so tiny, and i almost messed up. luckily it worked out in the end with a razor knife. now my psp has 3.71 m33-2 and i don't know how to update it.

suppachipmunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@cityson

in order to update, all you must do is:

1) download the newest firmware 3.71 M33-4 from his (alex) official website.

http://www.dark-alex.org/index.php?Dark_Alex=m33

2) Then place this in your PSP folder as "UPDATE".

3) Then start your PSP. Go to games, then select Update and it should set you up perfectly.

This should be the way, it worked for me. Hope this helps

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Convient as hell that you just put that here, because I came in here to shout that I did it.
biggrin.gif
3.71 M33-2 installed on my Slim just fine. And now to update to 4.

Although...I put a Game ISO on my Memory Stick and it won't show up. Is there something else I need to do first?
*Forgot to make the ISO folder in the root. Got it now. Thanks everyone!

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ISO have to go in the ISO folder on the root of the card. Either make it , or let the psp format the stick and it will make it for you.

If you already have the games in there , then I dunno
frown.gif

suppachipmunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@cityson
No problem. Always try to help.

@Gaisuto
With custom firmware installed, the PSP will format the memstick with all the appropriate folders in all the appropriate places (if you format the memstick while it is in the PSP).

You can stick PSP ISO in a folder called "ISO" on the root of the memstick.
You can stick PSX Eboots and N64/SNES/NES/ETC in the "Game" folder found under the "PSP" folder.
Videos go under "Videos" (MPEG4) and so on and so forth with the pics and music.

Hope some of this helps. It took me a little bit of research to figure it all out.

Suppachipmunk.

xilo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried making a battery today. It didn't go so well... Saw sparks fly so I just tossed the battery. How the hell do people get this thing apart without screwing it up???

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried making a battery today. It didn't go so well... Saw sparks fly so I just tossed the battery. How the hell do people get this thing apart without screwing it up???

The best route is to actually do it with the help of a another Phat PSP, you can check the tutorial Gaisuto and I followed here.
If you don't have another Phat PSP, I would seriously suggest to just get a Datel JigKick battery.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol