Hacking Just got a black wii

chillyloop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I just got a black wii today and I would like to softmod it but I worry that I might brick it. I have read a few of the guides on here but I am confused on which one I should use. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would rarther ask n00b questions than be sorry and brick my wii. Is it the 4.2 guide I need to follow? My system menu is at 4.2 at present. Sorry I feel a bit of a numty for asking n00b questions it just I don't want to mess it up. Do I need my wii connected to the wifi to be able to softmod it? Thanks

JJBro1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well according to what i was told there's nothing different about the black wii except it won't be able to play burnt games. So ya just follow the 4.2 guide and you should be fine.

SherlockHolmeboy

Trophies
Website
homebrefreeware.co.cc
XP
Country
You should follow the Modify any Wii guide stickied in this section. It is probab;y the best written and easiest to execute guide here. Just follow it letter for letter, and you'll be fine.

Also, as far as I know, the guide is completely offline (no WiFi needed).
wink.gif

TRushInfo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
of course if you looked at the 500threads already made about this you wouldve seen that even if your wii is fucking purple its not special.. the sticky guide says modify ANY wii. so why would yours be any different??? Is NOT special! Theres 4 topics just like this on the front page. why wouldnt you just read instead of posting? the guide works whether you are scared of it or not!

chillyloop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am putting the files on the SD card but the wii is not recognizing them. What do I need to format the SD card as, NTFS, FAT or FAT32?

chillyloop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, I have followed the 4.2 guide and got priiloader installed. I have also installed USB Loader GX but when I go into it via the HB channels it says no USB device found. Any ideas?

ovenface

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
chillyloop said:
Thanks, I have followed the 4.2 guide and got priiloader installed. I have also installed USB Loader GX but when I go into it via the HB channels it says no USB device found. Any ideas?
well... you probably don't have a usb device connected then

SherlockHolmeboy

Trophies
Website
homebrefreeware.co.cc
XP
Country

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ovenface said:
chillyloop said:
well... you probably don't have a usb device connected then
lol
im glad your first post was this
biggrin.gif

chillyloop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, I will have another go later. If I have made a mistake with the guide, would this cause the USB device not to work?

Pakatus

Trophies
XP
Country
chillyloop said:
Thanks, I will have another go later. If I have made a mistake with the guide, would this cause the USB device not to work?

Check if it's on Port 0...leftmost port when wii's standing up
smile.gif

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are you trying to use a USB device to play your games off of or to run homebrew applications?

I'm going to assume it's for playing games since you have a black wii and wouldn't pirate any other way so things you should be aware of are that the hard drive needs to be formatted to WBFS which is a special file system that will hold only Wii games and nothing else. (You could also technically now have it formatted to FAT and put games on the FAT partition as .wbfs files, but I'm not sure how noob friendly that is at the moment. Could be just as easy, but I haven't really bothered to keep up with it to know.) So if you plan to use your hard drive for other things as well as your Wii, look into the method of using a FAT partition, otherwise just make it a dedicated WBFS drive or you could just split it into two partitions and format one to WBFS and keep the other as w/e you want.

Another thing is that the hard drive should be plugged in the USB port that is closer to the edge of the Wii, not the one in the middle (unless again something I haven't kept up with changed that). So if you're looking at the Wii from behind when it's standing up on the stand, it's the port on the right.

I suppose it is also possible that if you didn't properly get your cIOS installed that it wouldn't be able to read your hard drive, but it's a pretty damned easy guide to follow so I would lean more towards it being something like using the wrong usb port or an incompatible hard drive or something.

Edit: double checked on my Wii after reading above post, it IS the right side port when looking from the back. Also even if your hard drive isn't properly formatted, if it detects it, it should ask to format it itself or something at least (unless that got changed with FAT partition stuff too).

chillyloop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the help. I have made sure that the drive is plugged into the correct port on the wii. I will try the drive at WBFS only because at the moment it's split in 2 partions. The one is WBFS and the other is FAT32. I am starting to think that I have followed the guide wrong and missed something out. The thing is I don't know what I would of missed, all I know is that priloader works when I hold reset. If I went through the 4.2 guide again, would it brick my wii? I don't really know what to do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: you could say it fell out.