Hacking Just getting into DS hacking... advice?

Nullkill

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!
I'm just starting to get into DS hacking (Got a ds lite for christmas, and ordered my micro sd already); Just waiting to decide which Slot 1 device I want... (I entered the contest for the DSTT giveaway; so that is obviously what I'm hoping for
smile.gif
But if i dont win, I'm interested to know what the local favorites are.)

Right now the front runners in my book based on reviews I've been reading here are
CycloDS, DSTT and the M3

Is there one I'm missing?

What do you think is the best for price... (Based on the review, it looked like CycloDS was the best; but I wasn't super impressed by the GUI shown in the video... opinions?)

Thanks!

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Playing roms is hardly hacking...

As for which flashcard is best, thats going to be down to taste. Most the slot1 cards are identical (The hardware/base software is probably also identical..), firmware updates are fairly consistent across the board,... go for the one that comes in the same colour as your ds or something.

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@moshii, I wouldn't call the DSX and the Cyclo identical in software
rofl2.gif

The slot-1's are actually pretty different in price and features. It depends on what you want your cart to do (as I've said in countless other threads). What are you going to use your cart for? (as in games, homebrew, music, video, etc.)

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@moshii, I wouldn't call the DSX and the Cyclo identical in software
rofl2.gif

I bet the patches done by the firmware to the roms are either 99% -> 100% identical, and after all that's what really matters.

> The slot-1's are actually pretty different in price

Well, you're going to go for the cheapest one that isn't shit of course.

> and features.

mmm, a flashcart in slot1 can't really add or take many features to/from the DS really... unless you mean a motion sensor or something. Stuff like media players are software.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All depends on your Price Range.
Goes from the cheapest (DSTT), to the most expensive. (DS-X)

In case you're wondering, the DS-X is a POS.

~Nero

Nullkill

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Main things I'm looking for:

Play my DS backups (want them to load fast)
In game Reset

DS Homebrew
(Specifically looking foward to trying Colors)
(Must also run SNES and NES emulator)

Not too important to play GBA games, but would like the option

I'd also like the ability to use a web browser... (I'm not sure if they can all do this or not (with the correct GBA cart in from what i understand))

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Main things I'm looking for:

Play my DS backups (want them to load fast)
In game Reset

DS Homebrew
 (Specifically looking foward to trying Colors)
(Must also run SNES and NES emulator)

Not too important to play GBA games, but would like the option

I'd also like the ability to use a web browser... (I'm not sure if they can all do this or not (with the correct GBA cart in from what i understand))

R4DS + EZFlash 3 in 1 will give you all of those features listed. Including the web browser.
It only takes 4-6 seconds to load a DS game, and you can soft reset from the game into the R4's menu.

~Nero

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Why the hell do you need a 16 GB microSD card
tongue.gif
?
With one or two GB you have enough for just playing DS roms, SNES roms and homebrew hardly takes up space.

I suggest you buy an R4DS, great support on the forums, it starts up very quickly and it has a giant userbase.

Nullkill

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do both the R4 and M3 support SDHC? (I'm only getting a 2GB card; but when prices drop will be looking to upgrade)

dragon574444

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
R4/M3 simply don't support SDHC, and they most likely never will, it's a hardware thing. Trust me, a 2GB card can hold tons of games, music, homebrew, etc. It's all you really need, unless you're planning to play a bunch of full length movies from your DS.

I recomend the R4, it's what I use and with a EZ Flash 3-in-1 slot 2 expansion, you can do just about anything with it. Also, the R4 is one of the cheapest Slot 1 flashcarts out there.

tau

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Erm, why not just get the M3 Real Perfect bundle? It comes with a GBA RAM expansion that works with Opera for internet browsing and homebrew like the SNES emulator that needs more ram for the bigger games, as well as the ability to play GBA games.

Plus it supports SDHC, so you're all set!

gh0ul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4/M3 simply don't support SDHC, and they most likely never will, it's a hardware thing. Trust me, a 2GB card can hold tons of games, music, homebrew, etc. It's all you really need, unless you're planning to play a bunch of full length movies from your DS.

I recomend the R4, it's what I use and with a EZ Flash 3-in-1 slot 2 expansion, you can do just about anything with it. Also, the R4 is one of the cheapest Slot 1 flashcarts out there.

i completely agree with dragon. This is the setup i have (R4 + ez flash3in1) and it works awesome. Honestly, you shouldnt really have more than 2GBs worth of files anyways, unless you're a serious collector or something. You'll probably wouldnt even play half of the games on the card anyways. if you want to spend a little more money, go for cyclods. I'd pick that other than dstt just cuz they have some good tech support and fast updates. Have fun!
yaynds.gif

Nullkill

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, Thanks everyone for the suggestions
smile.gif

I really wanted a card that supported SDHC (SDHC can take cards up to 4,096 GB
smile.gif
So i'm planning ahead )

So here is what i ended up getting:

DSTT (After looking at videos of the OS; and reading about this card's comparisons to the R4 online; decided it was the best way to go)

and

a 4 GB MicroSDHC card (for 36.99 SHIPPED off newegg! Great deal)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211196

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey