Just bought a PS3... but complete n00b

Discussion in 'PS3 - Games & Content' started by rainwhore, Dec 27, 2010.

Dec 27, 2010
  1. rainwhore
    OP

Newcomer rainwhore Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I just got a 40gb PS3, with controller leads etc for what I think is a good price. The guy said it's on 3.41 firmware, and that "he used a USB jailbreak device", but now completely formatted the PS3, which is still at 3.41 firmware.

1. I'm not interested in jailbreaking -- if I connect it to the internet and update it, is there any chance that Sony will detect that it "was" jailbroken, and brick it?

2. Now that I have a PS3 (woo!), apart from games and Blu-Ray, anything else I can do with it?

2. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    They can detect,but apparently they don't ban(maybe they will,but probably if you keep updated they won't). They wouldn't brick you,it's their loss if they do.

You can play music,videos and view photos...there's also the internet browser and stuff.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Remotely bricking a device you jailbroke is illegal, Sony's not that stupid.

When jailbroken and you run something, the game ID is stored, in the case of backup games this ID is of the backup manager (and for homebrew it's a homebrew ID). While Sony can see this recorded info, they have not banned anybody for it.

If you're paranoid you might want to jailbreak so you can run a homebrew program to clean that list.

4. rainwhore
    OP

United Kingdom
    Not paranoid at all, I just want to know if I can continue using it as per normal, or whether I should keep it on 3.41 and jailbreak it again. Is the PS3 homebrew scene particularly worth it?

5. Rydian

United States
    The PS3 homebrew scene is in it's infancy. While there are a lot of emulators being ported over, most homebrew games are in the simple stages right now.

6. rainwhore
    OP

United Kingdom
    So apart from the obvious (backups), is there any advantages to jailbreaking atm?

Thanks [​IMG]

7. Rydian

United States
    You can unlock a lot of hidden options and settings. Also run homebrew games and emulators.

8. dills2

Newcomer dills2 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    what games you got i could recommend some if you want

9. rainwhore
    OP

United Kingdom
    I have nothing! Think I'll be renting instead of buying though. Right now I have Uncharted and WET on my to-rent list, amongst others.

10. dills2

United Kingdom
    uncharted 1 or 2 uncharted 2 is a must buy especially cause of the multiplayer

11. rainwhore
    OP

United Kingdom
    1, thought I should start from the beginning! Anything else I should look out for?

12. dills2

United Kingdom
    yeah theres call of duty if your into fps

13. dills2

United Kingdom
    if you thinking of getting scott pilgrim vs the world on ps store as castle crashers is much better its also on ps store

14. dills2

United Kingdom
    demon souls is a great game but its tough as s..t

15. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    yeah the jailbreak is worth it if you have a second console to jailbreak but as you main console nope because you can never go online, anything you purchase online via psn previously will be incassable, including retail games that you rightly paid for if a update is included on the disc.

you see in order to access most of your content you need to sign in and update, no one seems to have found a way to bypass this yet, so your best bet is to buy a second console to jailbreak and use the one you are using now for online, that's what i will be doing when i can afford a console, i currently have 2 ps3s 2nd one is my partners, so will need a 3rd one for offline and homebrew only.

my only annoyance is that you can never do anything with retail game discs, you have to rip the games first before you can do anything with the games at all! (which takes a long time to do especially if you have a small internal hard drive and lots of games like i do) that's why i really don't care about jailbreak atm on top of that the game installs is a problem aswell, why can't they get the backups to run without game install like psp games? that would save a lot of space as isos don't need game installs do they?

if you want to drive yourself insane and smash your head through a wall in red anger then be my guest, i wouldn't even play the game if i was given it for free!

16. shaosam

Newcomer shaosam Advanced Member

United States
    So wait, if I were to download a game rip of say, Bayonetta, and try to play it, would the game run as if it were not "installed" on the hard drive? (There was a patch for Bayonetta that allowed PS3 users to install the game and reduce load times.) So I have to have the game rip on the hard drive and ALSO install the game through the game's install process?

17. rainwhore
    OP

United Kingdom
    That's very helpful everyone, thank you! I'm not going to bother with jailbreak for now. Hopefully Sony won't mind me updating an ex-jailbreak console!! [​IMG]

18. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    good luck for now just update and save up for a second console if you wish to jailbreak in future!