Hacking Just bought a DSTT!

zant

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey. I decided to get myself a DSTT + A kingston 2gb card for about 30 bucks from DealExtreme.com. I am currently waiting for it to arrive, so is there anything I should get ready for (system files/ programs) or is all in the box? I wanted to save space from my carts ( i have A LOT of carts) and if I decide to get into rom hacks for pokemon D/P.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zant said:
Hey. I decided to get myself a DSTT + A kingston 2gb card for about 30 bucks from DealExtreme.com. I am currently waiting for it to arrive, so is there anything I should get ready for (system files/ programs) or is all in the box? I wanted to save space from my carts ( i have A LOT of carts) and if I decide to get into rom hacks for pokemon D/P.

no they come with no loaders just visit the TTDS website and download the latest kernel loader update 1.13 here
smile.gif

if you want to save space use a rom trimmer such as NDSTOKYO trimmer search this forum to find the thread with the latest version
smile.gif

Damademan3

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.davidcblake.com
XP
Country
United States
get your 1.13 kernel, and i would use rominator to manage any roms. But main thing is the kernel for all things to work... Also when you put roms on your mi.sd place them in a "games" folder and not on your root.

bulletmark

Trophies
XP
Country
Damademan3 said:
Also when you put roms on your mi.sd place them in a "games" folder and not on your root.
Can I ask about this statement? I just bought and setup 2 DSTTs for a couple of friends and just plonked all the games in the root folder. The card seems to boot and play just fine. What is the advantage of putting them in a specific folder? Also, will the card boot and display all the games immediately from that folder as it does now?

psxiso

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zant said:

Buying bundle is not really a good choice...as you might need more space later. 2gb is plenty, I fit 32 games on it and most games are 50-100MB, but 4gb would be good and 8gb is where you can keep all your favorite games for a very long time.

bulletmark said:
QUOTE(Damademan3 @ Jul 5 2008, 05:21 AM) Also when you put roms on your mi.sd place them in a "games" folder and not on your root.
Can I ask about this statement? I just bought and setup 2 DSTTs for a couple of friends and just plonked all the games in the root folder. The card seems to boot and play just fine. What is the advantage of putting them in a specific folder? Also, will the card boot and display all the games immediately from that folder as it does now?

Its look more neater if you put all your games in one folder. having everything in the root is just a mess.

bulletmark

Trophies
XP
Country
psxiso said:
Its look more neater if you put all your games in one folder. having everything in the root is just a mess.
So, say I have 45 games plus nothing more than TTMenu/ and TTMenu.dat in my root folder. That's a
"mess" compared to having the 45 games in another folder? I'm a neat freak but don't see much difference.

Koekje

Trophies
Website
supertosti.furion.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
bulletmark said:
psxiso said:
So, say I have 45 games plus nothing more than TTMenu/ and TTMenu.dat in my root folder. That's a
"mess" compared to having the 45 games in another folder? I'm a neat freak but don't see much difference.
Other option:
In the root, you create a folder called "games", in there, you create folders with as name A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z, 0 (zero).
Now, you get your roms and put them in the corresponding folders.
So if we have Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass, we put it in the Z.
And if we have Pokémon Diamond/Pearl, we put it in the P.
Also if we have Bomberman Land Touch!, we put it in the B.
Etc.
yaynds.gif

(PS: 100 posts, yay!
grog.gif
)

TooMuchActions

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
same here, I'd just order three pieces of DSTT from DX and probably do some ordering of 8gb of micro sd(sdhc) from amazon in a day or two. thanks for all the help/answered and suggestions bro/sis. do any of you have the latest kernel for download, cause that TTDS seem having problem with it server. I can't seem to download from it or either when try to download the latest kernel with internet explore, it take too darn long to download and having server time out. hopefully among one of us have the latest kernel and upload it to a download site like rapidshare, megashare, or megaupload for downloading. thanks in advane...TMA

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bulletmark said:
Damademan3 said:
Also when you put roms on your mi.sd place them in a "games" folder and not on your root.

Just to be clear...

Neatness is not the best reason to put your games in a "games" folder. The DSTT will eventually crash if your games are on the root. The problem isn't with the DSTT -- it's the FAT file system which has a limit to the number of files that can be on the root. As you put more games on the cart and they try to create even more save files and cheat files, etc. your cart will eventually freeze up on you.

Bottom line: put your games in a "games" folder (you can name the folder anything you like).

ETA: Putting them in a "games" folder also lets you use the "sorting trick" to sort your ROMs alphabetically:[*]Create a new folder at the root of your microSD card named "games2".[*]Go into your "games" folder (or wherever you keep your .nds files).[*]Do a "select all" then "cut" (CTRL-A, CTRL-X).[*]Go to your new "games2" folder.[*]Do a "paste" then "select all" then "cut" (CTRL-V, CTRL-A, CTRL-X).[*]Go back to your (now empty) "games" folder.[*]Do a "paste" (CTRL-V).[*]Delete your "games2" folder.QUOTE(TooMuchActions @ Jul 5 2008, 12:41 PM)
same here, I'd just order three pieces of DSTT from DX and probably do some ordering of 8gb of micro sd(sdhc) from amazon in a day or two. thanks for all the help/answered and suggestions bro/sis. do any of you have the latest kernel for download, cause that TTDS seem having problem with it server. I can't seem to download from it or either when try to download the latest kernel with internet explore, it take too darn long to download and having server time out. hopefully among one of us have the latest kernel and upload it to a download site like rapidshare, megashare, or megaupload for downloading. thanks in advane...TMA

The latest kernel is available on this site in the download area: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=2767

-Bri

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Koekje said:
In the root, you create a folder called "games", in there, you create folders with as name A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z, 0 (zero).
Now, you get your roms and put them in the corresponding folders.
So if we have Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass, we put it in the Z.
And if we have Pokémon Diamond/Pearl, we put it in the P.
Also if we have Bomberman Land Touch!, we put it in the B.
Etc.
Folders? I'm assuming this method is used with YSMenu. TTMenu doesn't show the folders in which the files are located. It just enlists all the files inside the microSD.

This option is best used by super neat freaks and DSTT owners who have high capacity cards. Because most flash cart owners use a 1GB microSD and you can fit in 15 untrimmed ROMs/20+ trimmed ROMs in there. YSMenu shows 10-15 files at once.

bulletmark

Trophies
XP
Country
Bri said:
ETA: Putting them in a "games" folder also lets you use the "sorting trick" to sort your ROMs alphabetically ..
This is irrelevant to the root/folder discussion. You can (and I do) move all the game files from the root folder to a temp folder and back again to ensure your games sort correctly.

I have heaps of games in the root folder and it works fine. I can't see how a fat file system will someday suddenly corrupt itself? As far as file systems go, we are talking trivial numbers of files. I sense that much of the advice touted here is unsubstantiated but ingrained dogma.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's FAT16 that has the limit on the number of files at the root (512 files to be exact, compared to 65,535 in a non-root folder). I'm not sure if having all your games at the root of a FAT32 file system will have any adverse affect.

Bulletmark, if you don't believe me then leave all your files on the root and report back here when your games start freezing. If you're using FAT16, it will happen sooner or later unless you never add games, use cheats with games, or use any other functions that might add files to the root.

About 50% of people I've helped who had problems with games freezing on the DSTT solved the problem by simply moving their files to a "games" folder.

-Bri

ToriChan

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I'm also having the same problem where the game hangs as it loads and now I'm testing the games when it is placed into a folder instead of the root.
I'm not sure I could ask this here or not so sorry if I can't.
I just wanna ask whether I have to place the .sav files in a folder or not?
I've just bought my nds about 2 weeks ago so I basically know nothing much about using the microSDs and all yet.
thanks in advance~
rolleyes.gif

AlexElder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
is there any problems with using fat 32? mine is on fat 32 and so far nothing has gone wrong but I dont want to risk any future problems if I dont have to.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ToriChan: Save files (.sav) go in the same folder as the .nds file (i.e. in the "games" folder). Cheat files (.arp) should also go in the "games" folder.

AlexElder: There should be no problem using FAT32, but I would still put your games into a "games" folder rather than on the root of the microSDHC card.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: My ping times even lol