Hardware Just bought a 3DS need some feedback

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I recently bought a regular 3DS because I wanted to give it a second chance (despite my eyes being unable to see 3D effects), along with Ocarina of Time and Tales of the Abyss. I didn't get the 3DS XL because it would cost extra money I didn't want to spend.

- What other games do you recommend?
- What can be done to prevent the infamous screen-scratching-when-you-close-the-3DS issue?
- Should I get battery life-extenders from a third party (such as Nyko), or keep the brightness down and 3D effects off?
- What eShop games (if any) do you recommend?

Just need some feedback so I can get a good idea on how to get the most out of my 3DS. That, and the eventual exploit that will enable homebrew emulators.;)

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
I would suggest Resident Evil: Revelations as a great game. You get a lot of mileage out of it as there is still the online co-op once you have beaten the story. I was never very good at RE games but loved it.
Kid Icarus: uprising is well worth a try, though the controls are a killer to some people. As a left handed type, I needed the circle pad pro.
The obvious mario kart and 3d land of course.

Which colour did you get? Some don't scratch, my wifes white one never has but my aqua blue had within a week. As you close it does it slam itself shut?

Eshop... mutant mudds, ultimate switch force, links awakening

PS I have had a 3DS at launch and have never used a battery expansion, if you can't see the 3d you are already buying yourself 2 extra battery life hours

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only own the 3DS XL(which is freakin awesome! *ahem*) so I can't actually comment much HOWEVER I did read up on the 3DS for a very long time so I'll try to help.

1- Paper Mario, Mario 3D Land, Resident Evil Revelations(in my honest opinion it has really amazing graphics and 3D) oh and of course Kid Icarus.

2- For the screen scratch issue you should use a screen protector namely officially licensed HORI protectors. They're about $6 but worth it(http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-..._3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1357027747&sr=1-3). Your only other choice is to find a 3DS skin case or something similar. You can also go really cheap and buy some padding to put in between the case but in my honest opinion thats really stupid.

3- You could if you really wanted to play it on the go. I've heard good things about the power extender and if its really an issue for you then go for it.

4- Check out the eshop and see what you like and browse the top sellers. Chances are you'll spot a couple games you'll like. I would highly recommend Mutant Mudds as it utilizes the 3D very well and has that old timey feeling much like Cave Story(which is another game on the eshop)

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only own the 3DS XL(which is freakin awesome! *ahem*) so I can't actually comment much HOWEVER I did read up on the 3DS for a very long time so I'll try to help.

1- Paper Mario, Mario 3D Land, Resident Evil Revelations(in my honest opinion it has really amazing graphics and 3D) oh and of course Kid Icarus.

2- For the screen scratch issue you should use a screen protector namely officially licensed HORI protectors. They're about $6 but worth it(http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-..._3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1357027747&sr=1-3). Your only other choice is to find a 3DS skin case or something similar. You can also go really cheap and buy some padding to put in between the case but in my honest opinion thats really stupid.

3- You could if you really wanted to play it on the go. I've heard good things about the power extender and if its really an issue for you then go for it.

4- Check out the eshop and see what you like and browse the top sellers. Chances are you'll spot a couple games you'll like. I would highly recommend Mutant Mudds as it utilizes the 3D very well and has that old timey feeling much like Cave Story(which is another game on the eshop)

Thanks for the feedback! For the screen, I can use a glasses cloth in the mean time (which is microfiber and doesn't scratch), but eventually I'll need a screen protector. At least, I assume a soft microfiber cloth would work just fine. I can't see 3D effects, maybe I didn't mention that earlier....huh. Oh, well, but the 3D shouldn't be the only reason for getting a 3DS, I just wanted to give it a second try is all, so it can grow on me (the first time I had one, the launch games didn't appeal to me). :P The hacking potential is what I'm really looking forward to.

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah you did mention you couldn't see 3D. I mentioned it though because regardless if you can see the 3d effects or not Mutant Mudds and Resident Evil are both really great games that actually use the 3D effects very well. I was just stunned at how pretty RE is. It's like a RE5 game on the 3DS.

I didn't even think of a cloth >.> but yes you should be just fine with a microfiber cloth. If you're waiting for any hacks to be released soon though then keep waiting but until the mean time enjoy the DS games and homebrew. I'm not sure how the 3DS looks but I can say I really enjoy playing DS games on an XL.

*EDIT* I also agree with the above poster. If you don't already own it then get Zelda DX. The Virtual Console games are really cool and you can even switch to the original resolutions with a nice skin as the border(a gameboy or game gear depending on game) gameboy can even use the original green color. I've heard a lot of people love how game gear is but I haven't tried that yet. I actually enjoy VC over the DS emulators which is saying something.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah you did mention you couldn't see 3D. I mentioned it though because regardless if you can see the 3d effects or not Mutant Mudds and Resident Evil are both really great games that actually use the 3D effects very well. I was just stunned at how pretty RE is. It's like a RE5 game on the 3DS.

You should be fine with a microfiber cloth. If you're waiting for any hacks to be released soon though then keep waiting but until the mean time enjoy the DS games and homebrew. I'm not sure how the 3DS looks but I can say I really enjoy playing DS games on an XL.

Oh yeah, I have DS games as well (not with me at the moment), I have a DS lite, but the battery is long dead (as in, little to no capacity left) and I don't want to pay for a new one, so the 3DS will come in handy for those games, too! You're right about Resident Evil, that game has a crazy amount of detail and shows what the GPU is capable of. How's Super Mario Land 3D? I've heard that it's too short, or too underwhelming...is that true?

Senbei Norimaki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I used a glasses cloth on my 3ds before I got my screen protector. i had no problems with it. I still use the cloth even though I have the screen protectors just because it is handy to have around.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used a glasses cloth on my 3ds before I got my screen protector. i had no problems with it. I still use the cloth even though I have the screen protectors just because it is handy to have around.
Cool, glad to hear it! I really want to give this system a second chance, and well, so far so good!

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, I have DS games as well (not with me at the moment), I have a DS lite, but the battery is long dead (as in, little to no capacity left) and I don't want to pay for a new one, so the 3DS will come in handy for those games, too! You're right about Resident Evil, that game has a crazy amount of detail and shows what the GPU is capable of. How's Super Mario Land 3D? I've heard that it's too short, or too underwhelming...is that true?

Well.. I chose Mario Land over NSMB2. Both are great games but to me Mario Land actually feels "newer". However in many ways you'd probably like NSMB2 more because of the whole 3D thing. I'd say check out the videos and decide for yourself. If you're a Mario fan though chances are you'll like both.

As for how long it is let's check out this site and compare the two games:
Mario 3D Land: http://howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=3475 with the average completion(doing everything) being 20h 33m
New Super Mario Bros. 2: http://howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=8975 average 21h 38m

So really it's about as long as any mario game depending on if you want to do everything or not.

*EDIT* BTW
New Super Mario Bros averaged 15h 30m while New Super Mario Bros. Wii averaged 22h 38m

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
To be brutally honest the game gear emulator is better than the games it houses. We still don't know what colour 3DS you have, as I said earlier some colours are better made and don't scratch. Oddly my limited Mario one has a similar action to the Aqua Blue so it isn't a case that new ones are improved.

PS NSMB2 feels like all the other NSMB games with nothing to keep your attention. I love Mario but it is- in my opinion- his worst outing since Marios time machine

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well.. I chose Mario Land over NSMB2. Both are great games but to me Mario Land actually feels "newer". However in many ways you'd probably like NSMB2 more because of the whole 3D thing. I'd say check out the videos and decide for yourself. If you're a Mario fan though chances are you'll like both.

As for how long it is let's check out this site and compare the two games:
Mario 3D Land: http://howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=3475 with the average completion(doing everything) being 20h 33m
New Super Mario Bros. 2: http://howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=8975 average 21h 38m

So really it's about as long as any mario game depending on if you want to do everything or not.

*EDIT* BTW
New Super Mario Bros averaged 15h 30m while New Super Mario Bros. Wii averaged 22h 38m

Okay, so that's not terribly short, that's good, I might get it used though since I don't want to pay full price, but that's just me. New Super Mario Bros is cool though, I got the Wii U version for Christmas, and it's pretty challenging!

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to go on your battery statement, I would say it depends on how long your gonna leave your 3DS on, and how good you want your graphics to look.
I was skeptical about a battery too, but I have not regretted mine since I bought it. I don't have to leave power save mode on, which makes everything look much clearer and crisp (and thats without 3D)
Not to mention you can turn your brightness up and don't have to try and fight out sun glare issues.
I would suggest getting an external battery that doesn't have to be screwed into the system. Get a removable one. You can pick up a good one on amazon for about 10-25$ tops.
As for screen scratching, I like to take my lil cleaning cloth and rest it on the screen before closing it. And of course, you have the screen protector option, which would be your safest bet. Just watch out for icky bubbles.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to go on your battery statement, I would say it depends on how long your gonna leave your 3DS on, and how good you want your graphics to look.
I was skeptical about a battery too, but I have not regretted mine since I bought it. I don't have to leave power save mode on, which makes everything look much clearer and crisp (and thats without 3D)
Not to mention you can turn your brightness up and don't have to try and fight out sun glare issues.
I would suggest getting an external battery that doesn't have to be screwed into the system. Get a removable one. You can pick up a good one on amazon for about 10-25$ tops.
As for screen scratching, I like to take my lil cleaning cloth and rest it on the screen before closing it. And of course, you have the screen protector option, which would be your safest bet. Just watch out for icky bubbles.

Yeah, bubbles would be annoying, but not a deal-breaker, but in the mean time I'll use a soft cloth or other non-abrasive material. Right now I keep the brightness at medium setting and the 3D effect completely off (which I have reasons for doing as mentioned in an earlier post), can 3rd party batteries be trusted as far as not damaging something?

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, bubbles would be annoying, but not a deal-breaker, but in the mean time I'll use a soft cloth or other non-abrasive material. Right now I keep the brightness at medium setting and the 3D effect completely off (which I have reasons for doing as mentioned in an earlier post), can 3rd party batteries be trusted as far as not damaging something?
The screw in ones I wouldn't trust, Ive heard people have plenty of issues with them.
NYKO ones would be your absolute BEST solutions. I have a CTA power case, which does a good job of protecting my Zelda 3DS from harm, and gives i double its battery life. I had researched it before hand, and it hasn't been known to cause any problems.
However, my only complaint is not being able to access my SD port at all.
My best suggestions for you would be the Nyko Circle pad pro (which has the additional circle pad, and battery extender for double the playtime. Also functions as a case.) But is more expensive
Or the Nyko power grip. Its cheap, and just attaches on and off the 3DS (no case though, just a grip) and it supposedly gives 3 times the battery life.
Heres the power grip on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Power-Gr..._4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1357061373&sr=1-4
And the power grip pro which is currently unavailable: http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Power-Gr..._7?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1357061552&sr=1-7

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
So, I recently bought a regular 3DS because I wanted to give it a second chance (despite my eyes being unable to see 3D effects), along with Ocarina of Time and Tales of the Abyss. I didn't get the 3DS XL because it would cost extra money I didn't want to spend.

- What other games do you recommend? Miracle Mask (Layton)
- What can be done to prevent the infamous screen-scratching-when-you-close-the-3DS issue? I use the little foam protector that was protecting the screens when i received it.
- Should I get battery life-extenders from a third party (such as Nyko), or keep the brightness down and 3D effects off? I've never worried about the battery life.
- What eShop games (if any) do you recommend? Picross e (i love the series)

Just need some feedback so I can get a good idea on how to get the most out of my 3DS. That, and the eventual exploit that will enable homebrew emulators.;)

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The screw in ones I wouldn't trust, Ive heard people have plenty of issues with them.
NYKO ones would be your absolute BEST solutions. I have a CTA power case, which does a good job of protecting my Zelda 3DS from harm, and gives i double its battery life. I had researched it before hand, and it hasn't been known to cause any problems.
However, my only complaint is not being able to access my SD port at all.
My best suggestions for you would be the Nyko Circle pad pro (which has the additional circle pad, and battery extender for double the playtime. Also functions as a case.) But is more expensive
Or the Nyko power grip. Its cheap, and just attaches on and off the 3DS (no case though, just a grip) and it supposedly gives 3 times the battery life.
Heres the power grip on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Power-Gr..._4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1357061373&sr=1-4
And the power grip pro which is currently unavailable: http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Power-Gr..._7?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1357061552&sr=1-7

Thanks, I'll do some research and read the reviews!

@eyes, Dude, your text body got messed up.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It shows your quoted text and response in a quoted message. Oh well.

W9GPw.png

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Since you have ocarina and tales, you have 2 games with VERY long story modes and both have tons of sidequests which will keep you busy for ages. I think you'll want something quickplay and fun to tie in with those games, thus i suggest mario kart 7 which is great for short bursts and tons of fun online.

I dont "highly" recommend any 3DS specific Eshop games but Lets golf 3D is kinda fun (if you like golf)

Battery life extenders is a must if you arnt playing near a power socket often, especially for games like tales and zelda (which are supposed to be played in long segments)
However, i dont own one so i cant tell you what is the best but what i can tell you is the 3DS battery is awful and i own tales too and it will keep you invested for hours and the battery will be dead very fast.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things