Just a quick question about the new update

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by r3ddevil, Feb 7, 2017.

1. r3ddevil
    OP

r3ddevil Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I just had some questions about the new update for the new Nintendo 3ds xl.
    I tried to go play a game and the game needs to update buy I can't update the game because I need to update to 11.3

So is it mandatory to update to 11.3? Is there anything new that was added?
    Or should I keep 11.2 as it is?

2. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Do you have A9LH? If so, make a backup of 11.2 and update to 11.3, youre safe.

Tony_93 likes this.
  3. r3ddevil
    OP

r3ddevil Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Yea I got a9hl. I used the 3ds guide to install the cfw. I make the back up on the 3ds by using a9hl?

4. Imacaredformy2ds

Imacaredformy2ds Smartass

Banned
    Nov 17, 2016
    Mexico
    You don't NEED to make a backup but if you have a recent luma and a9lh you'll be fine

5. r3ddevil
    OP

r3ddevil Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I installed the cfw 3-4 days ago I believed I have the recent updates not to sure.

6. Imacaredformy2ds

Banned
    Nov 17, 2016
    Mexico
    Install luma updater through fbi and update to a nightly, for a9lh I guess just go to a github then download it and replace it with the "old" one....?
    Just to be safe

Last edited by Imacaredformy2ds, Feb 7, 2017
  7. r3ddevil
    OP

r3ddevil Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Ok thanks. I am still pretty new to this stuff.

proflayton123 likes this.
  8. Imacaredformy2ds

Banned
    Nov 17, 2016
    Mexico
    DUDE, READ THE POST, I EDITED IT

9. Majickhat55

Majickhat55 The Red Woman

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    I wouldn't tell noobs to use nightlies over stable releases considering they are buggy. More often than not it causes more problems than it solves. Noobs need to stop using the Luma updater and do it manually from the release thread until they learn how to troubleshoot an hourly when something goes wrong. You know, instead of creating a bunch of new threads.

Zidapi and Imacaredformy2ds like this.
  10. Imacaredformy2ds

Banned
    Nov 17, 2016
    Mexico
    Fuck I never thought of that
    I'll keep that in mind, thanks

Majickhat55 likes this.
  11. r3ddevil
    OP

r3ddevil Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I didn't know it was against the rules to ask questions and post threads?

12. Majickhat55

Majickhat55 The Red Woman

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    It's not. I wasn't speaking about your thread specifically, I was saying in general it's better for newcomers to use stable releases of programs to avoid new threads of unknown bugs with hourly releases. Of course you can do what you please, but if you don't know how to troubleshoot errors it normally just leads to unnecessary threads (generally speaking) It was in response to you being suggested to use the Luma updater, when in reality you should update manually to avoid more problems in the future.

r3ddevil likes this.
  13. r3ddevil
    OP

r3ddevil Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Ok sorry about that.. last time Inposted a thread everyone was being an ass about it -_-

14. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    You don't HAVE to backup, but it's best practice to create a NAND backup before doing any major changes to firmware or any other thing involving NAND.

Zidapi likes this.
  15. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    People will always be "an ass about", because it's annoying as fuck to have the front page shitted up with the same noob questions all day, everyday.

(despite the language used there is no animosity levelled towards you @r3ddevil, I want to be clear about that)

Questions about a specific homebrew app or CFW should be posted in the their official thread, not with a new post. For example this question would have been better suited to the official luma thread.

Official threads are full of people who are very knowledgable about said homebrew/CFW, those that follow such threads are notified when someone makes a post.

So posting in an official thread will result in your question being answered faster, and by someone more knowledgeable than if you made a new thread.

Making a new thread can also be detrimental, as it can attract dumb fucking know-nothings such as this guy that could give you advice that actually makes things worse.

(A genuine thank you to @Imacaredformy2ds for helping me illustrate this point so perfectly, but seriously stop it)

Last edited by Zidapi, Feb 8, 2017
    Imacaredformy2ds likes this.