Just a question...

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by TR_mahmutpek, Aug 26, 2015.

1. TR_mahmutpek
    OP

TR_mahmutpek GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 28, 2015
    What is MSET and ROP??
    Sorry for ignorance.

2. joex11

joex11 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    Brazil
    mset would be the system settings downgrade (to 4.5 where you can use the ds profile exploit) and rop is the actual exploit that will launch using this method.

3. TR_mahmutpek
    OP

TR_mahmutpek GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 28, 2015
    thanks for your reply...

4. MrMandraque

MrMandraque GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    France
    read the stikys posts and 3dsbrew.
    :)
    (i don't speak english very well... sorry.)

5. RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    ROP stands for Return-Oriented Programming. Don't quote me on that, but from what I understand it's basically used in situations where the hacker gained very limited access to the hardware in question. You need to use ROP when you can only execute the code that is already present in RAM, since you have no way to inject your own code. It's "Return-Oriented" because the programmer needs to trigger the code present in RAM so they return the values he wishes for his objective.

MSET is one of the exploits used for gaining access to the 3DS hardware, it only works between firmware 4.1 to 4.5 as far as I know. It's triggered by changing the Nintendo DS Profile values to impossible values, which you do by using a malicious .nds file. Then, when you enter the Nintendo DS Profile it crashes, reads a certain file in your SD card and trigger other exploits to gain Kernel Access.

EDIT: Check Wikipedia for more accurate information about ROP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return-oriented_programming

TR_mahmutpek and MrMandraque like this.
  6. MrMandraque

MrMandraque GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    France
    Heuu... as we say in France... (phonetics) shai poa (ʃɛpa) (je ne sais, ou, ne savais, pas)... (mean: I don't understand this: I did'nt 'now!!!)
    You make my ... heeee... My night!