Jumper in my R4?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by kennypu, Sep 1, 2008.

1. kennypu
    OP

kennypu GBAtemp Fan

May 23, 2008
    United States
    I took apart my R4 out of curiosity(lol), and I noticed a jumper(? extra wire), out of the chip's pin to one of the other components(forgot what its called). My R4 works perfectly, I just wanted to know for sure what it is, and if it would be better to break it or not. heres a picture:
    [​IMG]
    thanks in advance, any comment will be cool,
    Ken

2. jagerstaffel

jagerstaffel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2008
    United States
    Now that's interesting, according to those pictures "released" by the R4 team that showed their legit carts, I don't recall that being there. Considering R4 production ending at chip numb 0817 your cart seems legit, but that wire may be a leftover from a solder job at the production plant. It works fine as you said, so I advise against cutting it.

3. kennypu
    OP

kennypu GBAtemp Fan

May 23, 2008
    United States
    Thanks for the reply Jager, I'll leave it...*temped to "accidently" cut it* xD.

4. roguetrip

roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2007
    United States
    Looks like the Chinese to english jumper or the R4 to M3 Simply jumper.

The oldest vision had a jumper for each, if I recall it was the 6 pin up that was for Chinese to English. I'd have to search or re-open my R4 to find out for sure. I bought a Chinese R4 originally then jumpered it out, good way to save $10 at the time [​IMG]

EDIT: yep, its the language jumper, they removed the R4-M3DSS in later revisions.
    A pic can be seen off the 6th pin up that goes to 2 land areas that can be shorted together then leads to the capacitor here: http://www.maxconsole.net/content_img/r4m3dsss.jpg

If you cut it then you have to use Chinese Firmware or used Patched chinese to english firmware.

5. lenselijer

lenselijer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 27, 2006
    Netherlands
    it looks like your supplier bought the cheaper chinese r4ds carts and then converted them to english [​IMG]

6. kennypu
    OP

kennypu GBAtemp Fan

May 23, 2008
    United States
    aaa so thats what that is. I do remember reading somewhere connecting certain pins give you certain language settings :3.