Hacking JPN Wii users guide...?

1ns4nity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys...

Im not sure how many of you have a JPN Wii like me but I hope we can all get together and try to make it work as best as it can.

I bought the JPN Wii cause it was the most readily available in my country (as there has been no official launch yet). I was told by the shop owner that the WiiKey would make it region free but so far, as of late, A LOT of the US NTSC games DO NOT WORK
frown.gif

Even worse...I just tried Big Brain and partially bricked my Wii (Wii Settings are screwed).

So if there are other JPN Wii users like me out there, please help to contribute any knowledge you have about making the JPN Wii work better (For those of us not in JPN)

Cheers!

mustnap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as of now, there is no modchip or method that can be used to make other region games fully working. so you still have to wait for the game to be released for your Wii region.

and please do not just play other regions game without making some research whether that game has the possibility to brick your Wii or not.

1ns4nity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that I dont understand Japanese and therefore JPN region games kinda would be no use to me...

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Japanese Wii but have not modded it. A Wiinja Deluxe is in the mail though.
biggrin.gif

If you look at the compatibility list

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php/Wii_Regi...patibility_List

it looks the the only real no-no right now is Wii Big Brain Academy, if you stick to running U games on the J console. Only a few other games don't work but there's no bricking risk except for Super Paper Mario but even that one's safe if youre updated to 2.2J. With the exception of Big Brain, the games that don't work at all so far don't concern me a bit.

We got the J Wii as a gift from my in-laws. One advantage I've got is I can handle a Japanese game as long as its not a very text heavy RPG or something. My wife and oldest kid (14yo) are full Japanese so they prefer Japanese games.

I can't help with the semi-bricking problem you've got. I can only say thanks for the warning.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda curious now about the circumstances here, since according to the reg. patch chart, Big Brain can partially brick a Jp Wii even if it is fully updated to 2.2j. Isn't this the first instance of this happening? Up till now AFAIK if your Wii was fully updated no game would brick you.

Is it an update built into the game that's doing it? Will brickblocker fix it? I'm not really interested in being the guinea pig.

1ns4nity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will brick the Wii Settings page. (Even if you are already on 2.2J)

So far no fix for the settings bricking
frown.gif
Please post if someone does find a fix...

mustnap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda curious now about the circumstances here, since according to the reg. patch chart, Big Brain can partially brick a Jp Wii even if it is fully updated to 2.2j. Isn't this the first instance of this happening? Up till now AFAIK if your Wii was fully updated no game would brick you.

Is it an update built into the game that's doing it? Will brickblocker fix it? I'm not really interested in being the guinea pig.

This is just my theory. I think what matters is the date that the update is released by Nintendo. Each updates might come with a timestamp when the update is released. In the Mario Striker case, 2.2E was released EARLIER than 2.2J and 2.2U. So when people update their console, it will change the date of the firmware on it. Then the update that comes with Mario Striker will check when was the last time the console has been updated. If the date on the console is newer than the update on the disc itself, the update will not affect anything.

But for Big Brain, it comes with 2.2U update and i think 2.2J and 2.2E were released BEFORE 2.2U. therefore, when the game is inserted, it will install 2.2U because 2.2U has a newer date than 2.2J.

2.2U > 2.2J > 2.2E

In the Paper Mario case, i think 2.xE and 2.xJ were released AFTER 2.xU. therefore those who updated their console will not be affected.

I think we can assume that even if you have your Wii updated, there is a chance that you might brick it if you play other region games that is just released.

If anyone have a PAL wii and wants to test my theory, feel free to do so (insert Big Brain NTSC/U into your Wii) and report the result =)

n0fx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Anyone know if the recent Japanese releases will fix the bricked menu from the NTSC-U version of Big Brain Academy? I updated mine with the NTSC-U version and now my menu is bricked. I haven't had a chance to try any of them and was thinking that maybe if they were released after Big Brain, it might update the wii again and fix the bricked menu.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know if the recent Japanese releases will fix the bricked menu from the NTSC-U version of Big Brain Academy? I updated mine with the NTSC-U version and now my menu is bricked. I haven't had a chance to try any of them and was thinking that maybe if they were released after Big Brain, it might update the wii again and fix the bricked menu.

well, if that's where youre at, how could it hurt to try?

Cocytean

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, Christ!

I live in China, and have no access to WiFi to update the firmware on my Japanese Wii. I've trawled the internet looking for games which may possibly contain a 2.2j update on them, and so far have discovered Biohazard, Pokemon and Harvest Moon all contain the v.2.2j update. Downloaded Biohazard and Pokemon, NEITHER of which upgraded my Wii to v.2.2j. I'm currently in the midst of downloading Harvest Moon, but as I'm sure you can understand, I'm feeling a little sceptical. Can someone confirm this contains the 2.2j update on it? If not, can someone come up with a good idea how to get hold of it, other than online? I would like to play SPM, but I don't trust this Brickblocker program!

Cheers
biggrin.gif

1ns4nity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm. So you are still on 2.0J firmware? Sorry dont know how to help you...i too heard that those games have the JPN firmware update on it.

Cocytean

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
woe is me....

Harvest Moon just finished downloading...no 2.2j...sigh. To be fair, all 3 games (biohazard, pokemon and harvest moon) did SOMETHING to my Wii before it allowed me to play them. However, when I check the version in the settings menu, it still reads 2.0j. I'm starting to wonder if I have a magic console or something. I played the american maro party 8 on my wii, and that didn't screw it up like so many other people on these threads mention. Oh well. If anyone hears of a Japanese game with a definite update on it let me know. Until then I'm going to take the plunge and try out brickblocker...

Thanks for the help!
grog.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night