joycon with no working buttons

Avinitlarge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Got a strange joycon today. Non of the buttons work. Connects ok, side leds work, joystick works. No signs of spillage. Anyone have any idea before it goes in my scrap box?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Got a strange joycon today. Non of the buttons work. Connects ok, side leds work, joystick works. No signs of spillage. Anyone have any idea before it goes in my scrap box?
Isn't this this a known symptom of JoyCons that have been permanently modded to act as a RCM jig? When the JoyCon firmware is updated, the JoyCon semibricks itself and disables input, until the mod is removed (and the firmware update can then be reapplied, after which the mod can be installed again and will work, with the caveat that a future JoyCon firmware update will cause the same thing to happen all over again if the update is not performed wirelessly)
Although, that would only be applicable if it's a right JoyCon.
Sounds like you've already opened it up though, it should be fairly obvious if the mod has been done since there would be a jumper wire soldered. Although they could have removed the mod and neglected to perform the firmware update afterwards.

Does it not work wireless or wired? Issues only in wired would indicate corroded or damaged rail pins but issues in wireless could indicate a more fundamental issue that would be difficult to repair.
I would not throw it away, it can be useful for parts, to you or to someone else.

Avinitlarge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Isn't this this a known symptom of JoyCons that have been permanently modded to act as a RCM jig? When the JoyCon firmware is updated, the JoyCon semibricks itself and disables input, until the mod is removed (and the firmware update can then be reapplied, after which the mod can be installed again and will work, with the caveat that a future JoyCon firmware update will cause the same thing to happen all over again if the update is not performed wirelessly)
Although, that would only be applicable if it's a right JoyCon.
Sounds like you've already opened it up though, it should be fairly obvious if the mod has been done since there would be a jumper wire soldered. Although they could have removed the mod and neglected to perform the firmware update afterwards.

Does it not work wireless or wired? Issues only in wired would indicate corroded or damaged rail pins but issues in wireless could indicate a more fundamental issue that would be difficult to repair.
I would not throw it away, it can be useful for parts, to you or to someone else.
No RCM mod, Connects wired and wireless. It connects to joycon tool kit.

My scrap box isn't the bin, Its a box where joycons go for salvage

Last edited by Avinitlarge,
Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No RCM mod, Connects wired and wireless. It connects to joycon tool kit.

My scrap box isn't the bin, Its a box where joycons go for salvage
so same in rail and bt but try to change rail anyway just for test :X maybe some ribbons are dmg and joy is going bananas

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Judge Wario :O:ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes: