Joycon shell replacement failed :(

Soler37

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
OK so this made me really sad as I was excited to get it done in my night shift, I bought the Extremerate NES shell, while attempting to change the right joycon shell, the R button connector fell off (soldered on), I don't know what to do, soldering is not something I've done and I don't want to get a soldering kit just for this, what is the cheapest way of dealing with this?
I saw that the right main board is about 15USD on Aliexpress, which is about the same price as the shell replacement, I feel stupid for letting this happen and could use some guidance, I'm assuming only thing to do is get the main board cheap as I can and continue replacing the shell after I get it?

Thanks guys.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK so this made me really sad as I was excited to get it done in my night shift, I bought the Extremerate NES shell, while attempting to change the right joycon shell, the R button connector fell off (soldered on), I don't know what to do, soldering is not something I've done and I don't want to get a soldering kit just for this, what is the cheapest way of dealing with this?
I saw that the right main board is about 15USD on Aliexpress, which is about the same price as the shell replacement, I feel stupid for letting this happen and could use some guidance, I'm assuming only thing to do is get the main board cheap as I can and continue replacing the shell after I get it?

Thanks guys.
I had the exact same issue. Those tiny buttons are super delicate. I broke down and bought a complete used controller off of ebay. It was expensive but I figured I’d now have parts in case anything else breaks in the future rather than paying half the price for just the part I needed. Expensive lesson on my part.

cheapest no-solder route would be to buy a replacement mobo on aliexpress.

Last edited by binkinator,
Reactions: Soler37 and peteruk

Soler37

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I had the exact same issue. Those tiny buttons are super delicate. I broke down and bought a complete used controller off of ebay. It was expensive but I figured I’d now have parts in case anything else breaks in the future rather than paying half the price for just the part I needed. Expensive lesson on my part.

cheapest no-solder route would be to buy a replacement mobo on aliexpress.
Thanks, Ill probably do that.

Reactions: binkinator

Soler37

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Ok update, I mentioned this to my nephew who works in electrical engineering, he has a solder and told me that he can get it back on using a routing method I saw mentioned on a reddit post

Reactions: cearp

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok update, I mentioned this to my nephew who works in electrical engineering, he has a solder and told me that he can get it back on using a routing method I saw mentioned on a reddit post

Whew…OK man. I hope it works for you!

Last edited by binkinator,

Soler37

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Whew…OK man. I hope it works for you!
Thanks!
forgot to add that when opening the switch for the lcd/digi/thermal replacement, I got stuck at 1 firkin screw that got stripped on the backplate, have to wait till tomorrow to try and get it out with the reverse bit. Ill update later :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-