Hardware JoyCon d-pad mod

Marizzz95

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I recently picked up a replacement shell for my JoyCon which have a dpad. However I don't like this particular shell I used because the paint on the dpad comes off so easy. I would much rather use an official OEM dpad from another Nintendo system.

Therefore I would like to ask if anyone has experience with this mod and knows if any dpad from previous consoles, (GBA, NDS, 3DS, etc.) would fit into the shell. I wouldn't mind doing minor adjustments to them if necessary.

The shell I used is of the Myriann brand.
Aliexpress link: /item/32852181330

Thanks in advance

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently picked up a replacement shell for my JoyCon which have a dpad. However I don't like this particular shell I used because the paint on the dpad comes off so easy. I would much rather use an official OEM dpad from another Nintendo system.

Therefore I would like to ask if anyone has experience with this mod and knows if any dpad from previous consoles, (GBA, NDS, 3DS, etc.) would fit into the shell. I wouldn't mind doing minor adjustments to them if necessary.

The shell I used is of the Myriann brand.
Aliexpress link: /item/32852181330

Thanks in advance
Sadly no,

The dpad on a normal system work differently than on the switch. The switch has tactile buttons and the traditional dpad uses contact pads and the dpad is on a ball rocker.

It's why the aftermarket dpad has a shallow center because each direction is a button.

You might be able to shave the ball on the dpad so it's a flat surface underneath. You'd also need to cut the extra retention part on an oem dpad. The only official Nintendo dpad that is built similar is the 3ds dpad, but it's much too small for a drop in replacement.

So to answer your question, maybe, with modifications, you can make one work. I'll look at some of my controllers and compare the snes and nes dpads, I think those would be the two that are close enough in size.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: oot? the decomp just finished, have some patience lol