John Carmack Joins Oculus as CTO

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Oculus Rift, in case you've been avoiding gaming news/Kickstarter/fun, was a crowd funded project designed to finally realize the potential of virtual reality gaming. But hey, you don't have to take my word for it. You can take... well, my word for it.

John Carmack is the designer behind little known gems like Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein 3D, and not-Daikatana. Plus he helped pioneer 3D graphics, which is sort of neat, I suppose. So yeah, he's something of a big deal.

He's supported the Oculus Rift since the very beginning, and now it seems that he's taking that support to the next level.

We have incredible news to share with the community: legendary game programmer John Carmack will be officially joining the Oculus team as our new Chief Technology Officer (CTO).
:arrow:Oculus VR

Carmack offered a statement to go along with the announcement.

“I have fond memories of the development work that led to a lot of great things in modern gaming – the intensity of the first person experience, LAN and internet play, game mods, and so on. Duct taping a strap and hot gluing sensors onto Palmer’s early prototype Rift and writing the code to drive it ranks right up there. Now is a special time. I believe that VR will have a huge impact in the coming years, but everyone working today is a pioneer. The paradigms that everyone will take for granted in the future are being figured out today; probably by people reading this message. It’s certainly not there yet. There is a lot more work to do, and there are problems we don’t even know about that will need to be solved, but I am eager to work on them. It’s going to be awesome!”

Considering his years of experience and expertise, Carmack is sure to be an invaluable asset to the team as the OR nears its official launch. The hype train is moving at feel speed right now, and it makes no stops.

For those still looking forward to the next Doom title (and for the masochists demanding more Rage), don't worry; Carmack isn't leaving that behind. He's a responsible, nice guy, so you can be sure that he will keep id, and his ego, in check.

Reactions: Traversal

Ryufushichou

I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!
Trophies
XP
Country
Source link isn't Working for me.
Anyway this is great, the Oculus is certainly interesting, I've been keeping my eyes on the stuff that's coming form the dev kits, some of it is rather interesting, especially that FPS that was matched up with the Hydra, Seems like a great idea, even if a little jerky. but it does make me wonder whats going to come now that Carmack is there, Bright days ahead for the Oculus Rift i feel.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning