Hacking jamais vu - a 1.0.0 TrustZone code execution exploit for the Nintendo Switch

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My code will be entirely open source, and I will need to install signature patches in order to have homebrew launch from the home menu.

You're right that I'll definitely not be releasing ROM loaders, because I'm opposed to piracy, but I'm not going to waste my time pouring hours into trying to create my own walled garden or anything.
I appreciate you bro

Reactions: DarkCrudus

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
His CFW is for customization of the Horizon OS. That's the main goal. This probably means supporting homebrew, and maybe some other tweaks to the original FW.
But the ReSwitched devs are 200% against piracy so they will not add support for loading ROMs.
Since it's open source someone will fork it and do other things with it

Reactions: YugamiSekai

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody said this has anything to do with a hardmod solution.

What was being said is that this is not useful yet for the average consumer.

Maybe you should read first before bashing people all day long.
No..What was being said was, that this method will hurt those seeking to make money off hardmod installs. Then he was told it wouldn't due to user unfriendliness, which isn't true. No matter how user friendly or unfriendly it is, more people will opt a software method over hardware exploits. Him stating sciresm's method isn't a hardmod, was him reinforcing his statement about softmods, making hardmods useless, to those who have a softmod option.
Maybe you should read before bashing people all day...

FliP0x

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
No..What was being said was, that this method will hurt those seeking to make money off hardmod installs. Then he was told it wouldn't due to user unfriendliness, which isn't true. No matter how user friendly or unfriendly it is, more people will opt a software method over hardware exploits. Him stating sciresm's method isn't a hardmod, was him reinforcing his statement about softmods, making hardmods useless, to those who have a softmod option.
Maybe you should read before bashing people all day...

Maybe I should, but unlike yardie, I don't insult people in every reply I write.

god88

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.techscene.it
XP
Country
Italy
Not a developer here, but I have a question.
Wouldn't be possibile, in the future, to create a CFW like the ones Dark Alex made that took part of their features from FW 1.0 and 1.5 on the PSP in order to reenable vulnerabilities in later firmwares? Asking this because I've read that CFW may become a reality on newer firmwares and I find similarities with the PSP scene's early days (but maybe there aren't any). So to summarize my question: do you guys think it is possibile, one day, to create some sort of hybrid firmware like the first PSP CFWs were?
No one?

Meriadoc

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's really not how this works. If it causes problems for Nintendo for some reason, they will bring that to the table for the Switch 2 and the next Tegra iteration (or any refab of the TX1 if that happens). Maybe it will manifest in a friendlier deal, maybe nVidia will hire some actual software engineers. Who knows.

AMD (in fact, no one really except like... Apple) has nothing to offer in this area, and custom fabs are a thing of the past in this day and age, expensive, and wholly impractical. nVidia was the right choice for the device that Nintendo wanted to make and, as far as the device itself is concerned, they knocked it out of the park. And these sorts of bugs are not isolated to nVidia, we're just seeing concerted effort to break them now and not others.

It's impossible a switch 2. The switch is practically new,it isn't a cellular phone that has a new model every year. A console should last at least 5 years (with the exception of the failure of Wii u)

god88

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.techscene.it
XP
Country
Italy
It isn't so simple anymore, boot up is a lot more complex in checks nowadays and most "cfw" runs patches on boot instead of a full actual cfw being written to the system.
Thanks. In a way, that was kind or a golden era for CFW, with online updating straight from the console and such. It makes me feel nostalgic.

Meriadoc

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The ultimate goal will be to run backups. If not backup support, what else would a CFW offer? A built in homebrew launcher doesn't sound like much.

The simple possibility to play games that you have buyed from cartridge. I'm on 2.3 so i can't actually play any of the newer games.
With the homebrew of course.
You have in mind only piracy,haven't you?

Last edited by Meriadoc,

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The ultimate goal will be to run backups. If not backup support, what else would a CFW offer? A built in homebrew launcher doesn't sound like much.
A homebrew launcher would be plenty for me. All I want to do is save edit on Breath of the Wild. All I desire is to beat the game with an unbreakable mop. Yes, my ambitions are pure. They are just and noble. And one day, they shall be attainable anywhere, freed from the shackles of the Wii U. I welcome this era unto us!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended