Gaming Izuna Legend of the Unemployed Ninja

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what's the deal with this being all that hard and Shiren being worse? What makes Shiren stand out as totally 'unfair' or whatever if in this one losing all your picked up crap and cash wasn't bad enough?

I'm so not into that Etrain type play, but was liked Orc's and Elves. Tolerated but gave up due to the pokemon aspect with Mysterious Dungeon, but love that series so I may get that wii Chocobo one for $40. I'm tempted by these games as they last, have a decent yet not too slow of a pace, and they're not just for pushovers.

DespizingU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jeronz said:
You can buy all talismans from a guy that you cure after the second dungeon (I think its second) He is in the north east part of the main area up some stairs if I recall correctly. Kikan are 10000 each very cheap, you can also farm them in the first dungeon. Kikan only costs 5 SP, use it if you're in danger of dying and losing your equipment. If you stick it on something then that piece of equipment will be sent to storage. By the way, stick talismans along with a kikan onto an arm (8 slots) then you'll keep all those talismans when you die! Peel them off by going to that NPC next to the repair guy.

Other tips?

Do you know about upgrading equipment? If you stick like a rikai on like a sword, then use a burn-in flame the talisman is lost but the swords stats rise a bit. You can also upgrade the SP capacity with zoufuku + burn in flame. The reason you want to burn stuff in is that you'll come across creatures and traps that destroy your talismans in your inventory and on your equipment. Don't bother with this till a bit later in the game IMO.

Did you know you can throw talismans at enemies and theyll use them?

Can't think of anything else!

Thank you for the tips. Those are great and I'll definitely keep them in mind. I did come across the Kikans last night, and that is a very nice Talisman. I wish they had something like that that you could stick on your money, so you wouldn't lose it every time you die.

It took me a while to get past the third dungeon boss last night. But a lot to do with it is the items you have. I forget the name of a lot of the items, but there's one that guarantees you a critical hit. Then Rekka, that is a fire attack that drains a lot of hp. Then throwing a Fire Pill at someone does a lot of damage too. Then combining stuff like that with a lot of Life of Pochi's and Life of Blessings, and beating the dungeon bosses get a lot easier, then just constantly attacking them with your sword or claw. I just wish using these items wouldn't drain so much SP. You've gotta to have a couple Life of Pochi's on you, or your SP will drain when you use these items, then your attacks and defense go way down.

One question I do have though. When I'm holding a sword, and I come across a claw that has a high Defense stat, I can sometimes equip that claw along with the sword. So I can have a high Attack from the sword, and a high Defense from the claw. But...other claws if I go to equip with a sword already equipped, the sword will unequip. So how can I tell when I'm able to equip both a sword and claw at the sametime? Right now I'm just blindlingly equipping claws while I have a sword equipped, and hoping the claw doesn't unequip the sword.

Thanks for the tip on the Burning Talismans. I was looking at that last night, but I have no idea what Talisman I should burn onto a sword or claw.

Thanks.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's probably disliked as a genre since the commercial DS rogulikes are trivially simple when compared to the likes of the homebrew Powder, and the ports of Nethack and Crawl.

Mei-o

Generic Asian Kid™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DespizingU said:
What? That I'm playing this solely to look at Izuna? I really had no idea who Izuna even was when I started this game. And all I've basically seen of her in the game, so far, is a little cartoon looking girl on the bottom screen. I certainly haven't seen no images in the game so far that even comes close to the ones you posted. Not everyone(or even "90%" as you put it) that plays this game is some hot and bothered teenager that is in it just too look at a female character. And frankly that's a little pathetic you would even assume that.

I was actually commenting on the hilarity of your post, and not the actual images. I'm hooked on this game right now because I have just discovered the rogue-like genre, and the somewhat funny writing and characters(or did you not even bother to read my previous posts?). And not because some little girl in pink is the main character. I think you need to grow up a little.[/b]

Private|Parts said:
Unmei, I don't think anyone who actually played the game properly would think Izuna is hot, you really can't see ANYTHING of her. I enjoyed this, but like most people have been saying, Shiren is a much better experience in the roguelike genre. BTW, Unmei, now I've seen those posters I'm definately going to be picking up Izuna 2.

Suspicion said:
QUOTE(_Unmei_ @ Jul 5 2008, 01:09 PM)
Everyone knows 90% of the people played it for the lolis, just look at this Izuna 2 promotional poster, Atlus knows you a bit too well.
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh213/s..._tegami/1_2.jpg
Firstly, dear God Izuma's head looks fucked up in those pictures, secondly, that's loli? I'm fairly certain you're crazy.

That was a joke, cool down.*smiles*

jeronz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
DespizingU said:
jeronz said:
You can buy all talismans from a guy that you cure after the second dungeon (I think its second) He is in the north east part of the main area up some stairs if I recall correctly. Kikan are 10000 each very cheap, you can also farm them in the first dungeon. Kikan only costs 5 SP, use it if you're in danger of dying and losing your equipment. If you stick it on something then that piece of equipment will be sent to storage. By the way, stick talismans along with a kikan onto an arm (8 slots) then you'll keep all those talismans when you die! Peel them off by going to that NPC next to the repair guy.

Other tips?

Do you know about upgrading equipment? If you stick like a rikai on like a sword, then use a burn-in flame the talisman is lost but the swords stats rise a bit. You can also upgrade the SP capacity with zoufuku + burn in flame. The reason you want to burn stuff in is that you'll come across creatures and traps that destroy your talismans in your inventory and on your equipment. Don't bother with this till a bit later in the game IMO.

Did you know you can throw talismans at enemies and theyll use them?

Can't think of anything else!

Thank you for the tips. Those are great and I'll definitely keep them in mind. I did come across the Kikans last night, and that is a very nice Talisman. I wish they had something like that that you could stick on your money, so you wouldn't lose it every time you die.

It took me a while to get past the third dungeon boss last night. But a lot to do with it is the items you have. I forget the name of a lot of the items, but there's one that guarantees you a critical hit. Then Rekka, that is a fire attack that drains a lot of hp. Then throwing a Fire Pill at someone does a lot of damage too. Then combining stuff like that with a lot of Life of Pochi's and Life of Blessings, and beating the dungeon bosses get a lot easier, then just constantly attacking them with your sword or claw. I just wish using these items wouldn't drain so much SP. You've gotta to have a couple Life of Pochi's on you, or your SP will drain when you use these items, then your attacks and defense go way down.

One question I do have though. When I'm holding a sword, and I come across a claw that has a high Defense stat, I can sometimes equip that claw along with the sword. So I can have a high Attack from the sword, and a high Defense from the claw. But...other claws if I go to equip with a sword already equipped, the sword will unequip. So how can I tell when I'm able to equip both a sword and claw at the sametime? Right now I'm just blindlingly equipping claws while I have a sword equipped, and hoping the claw doesn't unequip the sword.

Thanks for the tip on the Burning Talismans. I was looking at that last night, but I have no idea what Talisman I should burn onto a sword or claw.

Thanks.

Maybe you're confusing claws and arms? They do look kind of similar. With arms you can equip a sword - the arm is the defense and the sword is the attack. Claws are both attack and defense, and you can't equip anything else with them.

I didn't 'use' many talismans until much later in the game due to that SP thing. I gather you figured it out that the more sp you have out of your total the more damage you do - ie you do less damage the more drained your sp is. I think its best to 'use' talismans (rather than stick or throw) only later in the game when you have more SP to spare. What gets really annoying are ghost enemies that drain your SP!!!

Yeah fire pill are great, they get quickly worse later though. Also look out for the rare pill - heavy pill. It gives you 3 extra hp if you swallow one.

What should you burn? Rekka for sword or claw, Mikigami for claw or arm, and Zoufuku for anything are your bread and butter. Later on you can try make spirits of equipment so you can get attributes of certain weapons onto other weapons (eg high accuracy)

By the way another tip I just remembered. Use a houshin sword (does more damage to bosses) and awakening pill (increases evading chance) for every boss.

Private|Par

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
We know, Unmei.
biggrin.gif

DespizingU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jeronz said:
Maybe you're confusing claws and arms? They do look kind of similar. With arms you can equip a sword - the arm is the defense and the sword is the attack. Claws are both attack and defense, and you can't equip anything else with them.

I didn't 'use' many talismans until much later in the game due to that SP thing. I gather you figured it out that the more sp you have out of your total the more damage you do - ie you do less damage the more drained your sp is. I think its best to 'use' talismans (rather than stick or throw) only later in the game when you have more SP to spare. What gets really annoying are ghost enemies that drain your SP!!!

Yeah fire pill are great, they get quickly worse later though. Also look out for the rare pill - heavy pill. It gives you 3 extra hp if you swallow one.

What should you burn? Rekka for sword or claw, Mikigami for claw or arm, and Zoufuku for anything are your bread and butter. Later on you can try make spirits of equipment so you can get attributes of certain weapons onto other weapons (eg high accuracy)

By the way another tip I just remembered. Use a houshin sword (does more damage to bosses) and awakening pill (increases evading chance) for every boss.

You are giving some kick ass advice, and I appreciate it very much. And yes, I must have been confusing arms and claws. I knew there had to be a difference if I could equip only some with a sword. I just didn't catch it.

Yeah, I started dungeon number five, and things are getting considerably harder now. The enemies will really drain my hp with a hit or two. I'm at level 48 now, so once I get a few more levels on me I'm sure I"ll be able to plow through them with no problem. And I encountered the SP draining ghosts in dungeon four I believe. And those are a bitch. If you don't have a Panacae(sp?), then you're screwed. All your SP will drain with each step you take. Any other way to cure yourself of that curse if you don't have a Panacae?

I will definitely try using the Talismans you recommended on my swords and claws. I stuck one on my sword that would confuse the enemies when I would hit them, and that would really help out when there are multiple enemies, since the confused enemy would turn and start attacking them. But...it always seems once I use a Talisman on a sword or claw, the damn thing cracks. And I don't have a Fukugen(sp?) to repair it. So it's just a waste.

I'll also try the houshin sword and awakening pills on bosses. I haven't came across the rare or heavy pill yet.

I really do appreciate all the tips you've given me(especially using Talismans on my weapons), they've been a huge help.

I seriously can't believe this game isn't more popular than it is. I'm having a blast playing it. Yes, I get a little frustrated when I get to nineth or tenth floor of a dungeon and then I get killed by stepping on a Demon Trap or something, but it's still a lot of fun.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I think by curse, you mean fear, since curse (skull symbol) makes you gain less experience, while fear (3 vertical lines) drain your SP. Looking at a Likeness of Pochi or Mother will cure you of fear. If you don't have a Panacea or an Image, you could try to move to the next floor as fast as you can as descending will heal all your abnormal statuses.

You have to look at the SP limit of a weapon before sticking talismans on. If you exceed that limit, the weapon will break in a few turns. There is a talisman that let you increase the SP limit of your weapon too.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Time to start liking roguelike games. I started Izuna a while ago wasn't completely hooked so I stopped, I'm gonna start again though, hopefully it's not UBER long. :|

Btw I used to like roguelikes from Dragon Quest games on PSX, but since then I didn't know what they were called exactly and stayed away from 'roguelikes' not knowing that was what it is.

I've been trying POWDER as well, although I probably own't get further into it until done with Izuna.

DespizingU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Chrono_Tata. I do think that's why my weapons were breaking so easily. I must have been exceeding my SP limit with the Talismans. And yes, the three lines is what I see when that damn ghost starts draining my SP. Looking at Likeness of Pochi or Mother only increases my SP, not cures the Fear. Right? At least that's what it's been doing to me.

I'm not sure how long the game is Pyrofyr. I'm on the sixth dungeon/God. And that's been at least a few hours of gameplay so far. I think this is the last God, but it can't be the end of the game after this. If it is then it's a very short game.

Hopefully someone that has played through the whole game can let us know how long it is.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Hmm. I'm think a Likeness of Mother will cure Fear, since the Fear-causing ghost sometimes drop Likenesses of Mother when you kill it and when I'm pretty sure when I look at it it cures Fear. Maybe Likeness of Pochi doesn't work the same. I'll recheck and get back to you on this.

When you beat all the gods, I hear you unlock a secret dungeon which is 100 floor long and when you start you get no equipment, so it's like starting one massive run from scratch. Should be pretty challenging.

EDIT: Both Likeness of Pochi and Mother do heal fear.

DespizingU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chrono_Tata said:

Really? I wonder what I'm doing wrong than. Because when I look at them they only fill my sp, but it still drains with every step I take because of Fear. Are you looking at the Likeness, or Sticking it to something?

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
DespizingU said:
Chrono_Tata said:

Really? I wonder what I'm doing wrong than. Because when I look at them they only fill my sp, but it still drains with every step I take because of Fear. Are you looking at the Likeness, or Sticking it to something?
Looking, of course. It definitely cures my fear. Don't know why it doesn't work for you. It might be some equipment I have. I'll try again but when I'm not equipping anything next time.

DespizingU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, please let me know what you have equipped when you you Look at them. I think I had the Exorcism Claw equipped when I was using the Likeness'. Maybe that prevents healing? I don't know.

I'm almost done with the game now though. But I'm still curious, as this could help me with the sequel that will be here pretty soon. And I'm pretty hyped for the sequel.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @OctoAori20, my pc doesnt even have bluetooth