Iwata: Our games, our console.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I got say this, not only your post, but others, they come up as blue for me, and i got no notification.

And I mean Skyward Sword not Twilight Princess. TP tried, but it failed. SS was closer but IMO (others have praised it), it felt broken. They're close to giving a good story, more scenes involving Zelda, Impa and Zelda. Actually someone on Kotaku had a good idea that I thought would work. Zelda and others, give them voices, but a made up languages. Link remains silent. But for me, I would be happy if Zelda remained silent because I always felt like Link and a connection to the girl (Zelda).

Skyward Sword just felt like "Oh no people don't like a Zelda that's darker so let's make it BRIGHT and COLORFUL like EVERY OTHER ZELDA." Take away that weird pseudo-cell shaded art style and it's just as generic a universe as the other 25 years worth of Zelda games.

Also they replaced Midna, the closest thing Zelda ever got to a good character, with a fucking calculator. Think about that for a second.

Also the game is just "Link gets friendzoned by Zelda but still tries to save her."

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Skyward Sword just felt like "Oh no people don't like a Zelda that's darker so let's make it BRIGHT and COLORFUL like EVERY OTHER ZELDA." Take away that weird pseudo-cell shaded art style and it's just as generic a universe as the other 25 years worth of Zelda games.

Also they replaced Midna, the closest thing Zelda ever got to a good character, with a fucking calculator. Think about that for a second.

Also the game is just "Link gets friendzoned by Zelda but still tries to save her."

Well really, I'm the wrong person to talk to, as I didn't like Twilight Princess or Midna, but IMO, it felt like Skyward Sword could be built upon a little bit to make it seem epic. I mean, you gotta keep in mind, this is Nintendo we're talking about. The Disney of video games. It's all about the princess. I think if they added a better script, Zelda and Link would be better. But, the part about Zelda games is, we never truly know if Link ends up with Zelda.

Nathan Drake: But that's like I said, Nintendo is more about making gameplay that ANY generation can jump into. Can the work on their story telling? Sure. But as I said, this is the Disney of video games we're talking about. After Miyamoto is gone, which I will be deeply saddened by (because his games actually saved my life), someone will come in and help the story out. This isn't JUST nintendo, this is more Miyamoto. The way I see it, and this is how I relate to his games, YOU are Link/Mario, and your love is Peach/Zelda. But that's just me.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My issue isn't that the first game was better or anything, I think SMG2 was better designed, it was just that the game was still completely forgettable.

Though I am a huge fan of procedural generation as long as you are not using it should you have a forgettable game/levels and said game is in the loose term 2D/3d action adventure/platformer then that is a huge failing or at least a serious problem and reason your game may not ascend to "classic" status. Amusingly though polish (which is often the net result of focus testing) is often likely to cause this and for my money this is probably why portal ranks higher than portal 2 which had far more enjoyable mechanics for me.

That said I could be wrong for thinking back on things bomberman 64 keeps cropping up in my head.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: butthurt aren't ya? can't stand the truth