Hardware Ivy bridge delid, need die frame

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, given my like to try and repurpose hardware before recycling or similar, I finally found a suitable case to get my Sandy bridge build where it'll fit in for the living room arrangement. Not only that, but that would mean I can use it to handle encoding duties, since earlier experimenting saw it handling an ndi encoding feed much better than either of my amd fx builds.

So, with the recent situation regarding the Rx 6500xt, and the fact I have it on a z77 board, it seemed prudent to do an insitu upgrade and get an ivy bridge CPU; to that end, settling for a 3770 at $57 makes a lot more sense than $130 for a K chip.

That said, it has me thinking... If I recall right, Ivy bridge was the start of when delidding an Intel CPU was dead easy, and being able to direct die cool saw dramatic thermal improvements. Given I did so with my main PC and its i9, I'd like to do it again, locked chip or no.

My lingering question mark, is simply... I can't find a direct die frame for the 3rd gen chip anywhere. Even the shop where I bought the delid kit for my i9 only goes as far back as 4th gen, unfortunately.

Was the schematic ever made as a 3d print, maybe? I don't have one myself, but in a pinch I could maybe check in to a local maker space to have it made. I just feel like if I'm going to go through the trouble to delid a chip, direct die cooling just seems like the way to go from there.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's just the tool to delid the chip.

What I'm looking for, is the frame that would replace the stock one on the motherboard. So that the cooler can make contact with the exposed die.

I'm not talking about just reapplying the stock IHS or replacing it with a different one. I'm talking about removing it from the equation. So I can improve the thermal efficiency like I did with my newer i9.

Derbauer seemed to make them more famous with his own branded frames for 8th gen and the big Intel HEDT dies on x299 chips.

Unfortunately it's not necessarily a case of where I can reuse the frame meant for a 9th gen CPU die, like this one: https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/products/9th-gen-direct-to-die-frame?_pos=1&_sid=2aa636ea8&_ss=r

Even if I can't *buy it*, I can't help but feel someone, somewhere, has the measurements or schematic to 3d print one to fit. Armed with that, it would then be possible for me to possibly go to a local maker space and in a pinch, pay to have one made.

Reactions: Joe88

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.