I've been dumb (Need Help)1

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by ViolentRockstar, Apr 24, 2016.

1. ViolentRockstar
    OP

ViolentRockstar GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Netherlands
    Hardenberg, Overijssel
    Hey guys,

A few months ago I posted a thread asking help for fixing my O3ds.

Today I've managed to fix the device, but have been stupid enough to break something else.

See, the "thingy" attached to the circle pad via the orangy cord broke and I need help to fix it.
    I could of course send it to Nintendo for repair but that's truly my last-resort.

I've attached a photo.

Any help would be much oblidged!
    David.

Attached Files:

2. ViolentRockstar
    This message by ViolentRockstar has been removed from public view by raulpica, Apr 25, 2016, Reason: Bumping is not allowed -rp.
    Apr 25, 2016
  3. Potato hoarder

Potato hoarder Hoarder of Potatoes

Feb 2, 2016
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Thinking logically, if it's broken, you need to replace it. If you can't replace that part, you'd probably have to get another motherboard.

4. Sniffynose

Sniffynose Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2016
    Canada
    If the ribbon is a compression type, you might be able to slide a thin piece of plastic in on the opposite side of the ribbon (non conductive side) to apply enough pressure for a connection, the other option is if there is soldier points on the stick end you can carefully solder very small 32 gauge wires to the four points on the stick to the four pins/locate alternate points with a voltmeter.

Last edited by Sniffynose, Apr 26, 2016
  5. mitroux

mitroux GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2007
    Macau
    you can always try to solder it directly if you can't find a way to stick the ribon in...

6. ViolentRockstar
    OP

Sep 15, 2015
    Netherlands
    Hardenberg, Overijssel
    This is a GREAT suggestion. Thanks! I don't have a lot of soldering experience and don't wanna risk frying the device. Thanks dude, I'm gonna try it later and give you the results!

7. ViolentRockstar
    OP

Sep 15, 2015
    Netherlands
    Hardenberg, Overijssel
    Now to find something that's 3x3 mm.

8. LameNobody

LameNobody Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2015
    Canada
    I broke one of these, I just used hot glue.

Place the cable in the right spot, put small glob of hot glue on ribbon, use finger to flatten hot glue (also helps it to cool faster)

The hot glue can be removed with rubbing alcohol if necessary

9. ViolentRockstar
    OP

Sep 15, 2015
    Netherlands
    Hardenberg, Overijssel
    Thanks. This is even more convenient (Especially since you're speaking out of experience)!
    I'm gonna try this real soon!

Edit: Would regular office-glue work? Or 2-component glue?

Last edited by ViolentRockstar, Apr 27, 2016
  10. ViolentRockstar
    OP

Sep 15, 2015
    Netherlands
    Hardenberg, Overijssel
    I could go ahead and buy a glue gun, but shops are closed in the Netherlands today (National King's day).

11. LameNobody

LameNobody Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2015
    Canada
    I wouldn't use any other glue, Hot glue was/is used because it doesn't damage pcb or components (unless you use force to remove it). and it can be removed easily with a dab of alcohol.
    shitty hot glue guns are cheap in dollar stores (places like poundland or whatever you have there)

people other than myself have used and recommended this method in this thread:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-would-you-keep-this-ribbon-cable-in-place-n3ds.410514/#post-5979707

12. ViolentRockstar
    OP

Sep 15, 2015
    Netherlands
    Hardenberg, Overijssel
    Ah, I see that people are talking about a plastic piece. I can't seem to find this piece anywhere. I guess it' s required for the device to work?
    I've tried hotglue-ing the ribbon to the motherboard, but the circle pad would just go left and stop working after about 10 seconds.