Issues with HD settings.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by grind_monkee23, Jan 16, 2010.

Jan 16, 2010
  1. grind_monkee23
    OP

Newcomer grind_monkee23 Member

United Kingdom
    I got a shiny new Elite for Christmas, one of the new ones without the HDMI or Component cables included, so naturally I went out and bought an HDMI cable to make the most of my TV.
    The problem is, when I connect the HDMI cable to the Xbox and the TV, I'm left with a black screen and only audio. My TV is set to the correct input and such and I've even returned the HDMI cable just in case it was faulty, but the same thing happens with the replacement.
    I've even tried a VGA cable and get the name results.
    Could it possibly have something to do with the fact my AV cable doesn't have a selector switch on to swap between standard TV and HD?

Thanks in advance for any help [​IMG]

2. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Just to clarify, you do not have the other Component cable hooked up to the back do you? If so, the video may be routed to that cable instead of the intended HDMI cable.

3. Da Mafia

Member Da Mafia GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    As the console starts, press and hold the Y button as you pull the right trigger, that should reset your video settings.

4. grind_monkee23
    OP

Newcomer grind_monkee23 Member

United Kingdom
    Nope, infact the way the new AV cables are made are that it covers the HDMI socket so you can't have both in. I'm completely baffled :S
    Tried that too. Still just a black screen with sound.

5. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Not sure if you saw this, after you posted, but this works for most people.

6. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Possibly your TV doesn't like recieving 480i/p over HDMI and as a result give you a black screen. Map out the button presses you need to access the required controls to get to your Video settings and select 720p (most likely to work), input them and hope for the best. If 720p works, bump it to 1080p (if the option is highlighted) if a black screen occurs again leave the controller alone and the video settings will reset.