Issues Getting USB Loader Working

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by CanadianBakn2, Jun 9, 2014.

1. CanadianBakn2
    OP

CanadianBakn2 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2014
    Canada
    I'm new to all of this stuff and might have screwed something up. My goal is to be able to run the 20xx mod for Smash Bros Melee. You can read more about it here:

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...alt-stages-costumes-p2-action-toggles.351221/

It's a version of Smash Bros Melee that has been modified, so I need to be able to run a custom ISO on my system. This is what I have been trying to do.

Unfortunately, I probably should have taken a step back and been more careful. I was a little aggressive about step 1) find a guide 2) follow guide 3) didn't work, find another guide.

Here's a syscheck:

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Before finding this guide below, I had followed a couple of guides trying to figure things out on my own. Unfortunately I don't have URLs for you. Again, too eager. Hopefully the syscheck clears things up.

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/26pw3q/tutorial_usb_loading_20xx_melee_hack_pack_on_wii/

The behaviour I am seeing right now is when I open dios mios and attempt to load anything, even loading a gamecube disc from DVD and not ISO (disc is in the gamecube), the splash screen does not appear at all and it fails to load. I read online that if the splash doesn't appear it can be a USB issue, but I've tried two different drives and the splash is also not appearing when I try to play off of the disc.

Something has obviously gone wrong, and I don't have a foggy clue how to proceed. Can anyone give me a hand?

2. CanadianBakn2
    OP

CanadianBakn2 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2014
    Canada
    I've learned quite a bit since my last dabble into all of this. Been spending a lot of time on it.

I found an excellent YouTube video here:

Here is what I've done so far:

I went back and replaced dios mios in 236 with the WAD in that video (RVL-cMIOS-v65535(v10)_WiiGator_WiiPower_v0.2.wad). Great, now I can play my gamecube games that I own via the traditional Wii menu.

So, I'm back where I started. But that's not where I want to be, I still want to get a USB loader working so I can play this Melee mod (no interest in piracy). The issue that I am having is when I install dios mios onto iso236, no matter what I do, I get a black screen upon launching a game. I even used cleanrip to grab a clean ISO of melee from my disc and it verified the checksums. There is no splash screen, straight to black screen. I tried two different USB drives, both are FAT32 32kb clusters, game appears fine in dios mios but won't play once selected.

What's my best course of action now, trying dios mios lite and an SD card to eliminate the possibility that it's my USB? I checked list of compatible devices, it's a Kingston data traveler 4gb and it's supposed to work. Are some Wii's just not compatible with all of this stuff and there's nothing I can do?