Issue with fixing hinge

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by rklamer, Dec 8, 2008.

Dec 8, 2008

Issue with fixing hinge by rklamer at 11:22 PM (670 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. rklamer
    OP

Newcomer rklamer Advanced Member

United States
    Hey guys,

So I have a DS Lite... it's not that old, but it's got a cracked hinge. Instead of paying for a new shell, I figured I could just take a tri-wing, open it up, and superglue the hinge back where it's supposed to go. So I tried this... opened it up successfully (the only issue I had was that I accidentally "disassembled" the right shoulder button in the process... always fun to see a spring/metal rod fly through the air; thank God I found them in the carpet), and superglued it like I was going to do. This is the right hinge, by the way. So, I reassemble it to the point where I have to screw the two long screws into the LED casing thing... then I try to move the hinge up and down. The instant I do that, SNAP... the plastic around the hinge goes flying off, breaking the superglue. I've tried this twice now, and both times I left it for at least an hour for the superglue to harden... this is really frustrating. Is this the hinge itself? Am I putting it on backwards? How do I know if I'm putting the hinge in backwards?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Also, are there any places on the Internet that sell JUST the top shell (the inner part of it, the part that houses the hinge)? I'd rather not pay a big amount of cash for something I won't end up using.

2. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    The thicker part of the hinge spring goes into the top lid. Then there should be a small bit left to put into the LED side.
    Not to sound negative..but..I don't think you will be able to fix it using superglue. The plastic there is so thin that it broke under normal circumstances for you. The section you repair will never be as strong as it originally was (which wasn't strong enough to begin with.)

EDIT: A whole new case is only around $18us.

3. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    You might as well get a whole replacement case.
    If you're having problems now, who is to say you won't ever use the rest of the parts?

4. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Use duct tape. Lots of it. And do it tight.