Issue installing Argon2

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by nycazncarguy, Jun 23, 2009.

Jun 23, 2009

Issue installing Argon2 by nycazncarguy at 7:16 PM (778 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. nycazncarguy
    OP

Newcomer nycazncarguy Member

United States
    Hey everyone, I need some help. I recently got an Argon2, and followed the tutorial listed here on installing a modchip (non-soldered) and the Argon manual itself. I'm pretty sure I did it correctly. I could be wrong. So here is my wii, still opened, after installing the modchip. I turn it on to check if everything is okay before I put everything back together. The disc drive does not move. My copy of wii sports is still in there. I thought, oh crap, maybe i broke something. I unplugged the argon, plugged it back the way it was, and it works again!

Now the thing is, I dunno if I'm installing this chip wrong or if something is wrong with the chip. Any clue? Thanks in advance.

P.S.
    I'd like to get some responses asap, as I dont like the idea of leaving my wii open like this for a while. May lose some screws and whatnot. The rubber and plastic stickers are also currently sticking to my laptop xD. I would like to not leave it there haha.

2. nycazncarguy
    OP

United States
    .....anyone?

3. nycazncarguy
    OP

United States
    Okay, so i did some testing on my own.

I dunno who knows or doesnt know this, but the ribbon that sends the disc data from the drive to the wii needs to go through the chip. I dunno why, but thats how the Argon2 is designed. So i decided to have the ribbon directly connected as usual, and just leave the chip clipped onto the chip on the drive (the one that the wii-clip is supposed to be on). I noticed that the drive still didnt work. I took the chip off, and the disc starts spinning again.

This basically limits the possibilities down to two:

A. The modchip is defective.
    B. Firmware 4.0 is the problem.

I'm kinda new to this stuff, so I dunno if the wii firmware could be a problem.

Anybody know? thanks.

4. rustybanana

Member rustybanana GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    It wont be the firmware on the wii stopping the drive from responding. Make sure there are no shorts on the chip ie not touching anything metal or any other component of the wii. If its not that then it seems like the chip is at fault.

Taken from wiinewz, link here for full review [​IMG]

5. nycazncarguy
    OP

United States
    Yeah, that definitely helped. Gonna send the chip back in. Thanks alot!