1. Fibbef

    OP Fibbef Newbie
    Newcomer

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2007
    Messages:
    3
    Country:
    United States
    Hello everyone. Recently I have been converting DVD movies to moflex for viewing on 3DS and I've had some successes and some failures. For the failures, the audio gets desynced from the video. I've tried pausing and unpausing the video to see if that corrects it, but it doesn't help. What happens is that the audio plays slightly faster than the video, so the desync is barely noticeable at the start of the movie but reaches 4 or 5 seconds by the end.

    Does anyone who has a lot of experience creating moflex files have any tried-and-true methods for converting DVDs to moflex? I will try to provide as much information about my setup as possible below.

    -------------
    PC specs:
    Dell Latitude E6410
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Intel Core i5 2.4GHz
    4GB RAM

    DVD-to-moflex process:
    -Rip DVD to file using DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0
    -Convert DVD files to mp4 using Handbrake 1.3.3 (using the "Fast 1080p30" preset)
    -(optional, but have found this step to have no effect) Boost mp4 audio using ffmpeg command: ffmpeg -i "input.mp4" -vcodec copy -af "volume=3" "output.mp4"
    -Convert mp4 to moflex using the following graph in Mobiclip Multicore Encoder:
    -Video Files (leaving 3D-Interleaved unchecked)
    -Crop and Resize (Resize -> Automatic -> 400x240 -> Add letterbox)
    -Convert Audio (defaults used)
    -Mobiclip Encoder (defaults used)​

    The DVD I am currently working with is 1989 Batman, although I have successfully converted a few other films (Secret Life of Pets, Disney Cars, Sonic the Hedgehog) without the audio desync issue. I have tried tweaking different settings in various stages of the conversion process, but I haven't been very methodical, so I would be willing to try suggestions.
     
  2. Fibbef

    OP Fibbef Newbie
    Newcomer

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2007
    Messages:
    3
    Country:
    United States
    Good news everyone! (Sorry, my ability to post a Professor Farnsworth meme has been limited by my low forum post count.)

    After much trial and error, I believe I have come up with a process that works for me. I'm posting here to close out this issue and hopefully help anyone else who may be scouring the internet for moflex assistance.

    Here is my new moflex creation process, which I have successfully tested on 3 different DVDs that were previously giving me problems:
    1. Rip the DVD to file using DVD Decrypter.

    2. Convert the ripped files to .avi using Auto Gordian Knot (AutoGK)
    -This process may take additional trial and error to get just right. The input file may not be intuitively obvious, but I've found that VTS_01_1.VOB is the start of the movie on most DVDs. Selecting the correct audio track is necessary as well; I've already accidentally converted one movie in Japanese and another in French.
    -Also, AutoGK tried converting one of my movies to 3:2 aspect ratio instead of the native 16:9. I fixed this by clicking Advanced Settings and changing Output Resolution to Maximum width.​

    3. Boost the audio of the .avi using ffmpeg. This is a must, since the volume of the moflex file will otherwise be way too low. Here is the ffmpeg command I use:
    ffmpeg -i "input.avi" -vcodec copy -af "volume=3" "output.avi"
    4. Convert the audio-boosted .avi to .moflex using the following graph in Mobiclip Multicore Encoder:
    -In my experience, ffmpeg converts the audio to stereo even if the original video has 5.1 channels, so there is no need to add Convert Audio to the graph.
    I hope my experience and research has the chance to help someone else.
     
  3. Fibbef

    OP Fibbef Newbie
    Newcomer

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2007
    Messages:
    3
    Country:
    United States
    I've been running into a few more snags in the conversion process, mostly with newer movies on DVD, so I thought I would post an update here (again, for those experiencing the same trials that I've gone through).

    The primary symptom continues to be a noticeable audio desync on converted films. Sometimes I notice it on the DVD rip prior to converting to moflex. Other times the rip sounds fine but the moflex is desynced. In one case I noticed that an entire scene was missing from the rip.

    The problem appears to be that the ripping software isn't able to handle copy protection on newer DVDs. While searching for alternatives, I tried out DVDFab 12 (latest version as of this post). The trial version let me rip up to 3 DVDs in a variety of formats (I chose .avi), but the free version still lets me rip to .mp4. Both formats convert perfectly to moflex.

    I still use ffmpeg to boost the audio after ripping (step 3 in the previous post) but I find DVDFab to be a much faster process since ripping and converting have been combined into a single step.
     
Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - creating, moflex, movies