ISP blocking specific website? Please help me out here.

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by gifi4, Dec 12, 2013.

1. gifi4
    OP

gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Apr 21, 2010
    Melbourne
    I recently upgraded my Optus 120GB monthly plan to an unlimited connection and took full advantage of it. I've been doing loads of downloading and now the private tracker torrent site that I'm on won't load up.

I can load the website using my phone's mobile data, however, if my phone is connected to my WiFi the website will fail to load.

Can anyone help me out here?

Different browsers lead to the same problem, clearing cookies etc (None of it should work anyway considering it fails on the same connection via multiple devices)

So, what exactly can I do?
    If I have to contact the ISP, what do I say?

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Use a proxy.

3. gifi4
    OP

gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Apr 21, 2010
    Melbourne
    The tracker fails to register when downloading a torrent. I've already tried the proxy. I can download the torrent file via proxy but the tracker itself fails to load (Tried on mobile device with wifi, same issue. Using mobile data, no problem.)

Besides, that would be a workaround, I'm looking for a solution =/

4. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    The only solution I can think of is renting out a seed box :/.

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    It's possible whatever proxy you used was blocked by your private tracking site. Look around on there or ask the staff about proxies and which would work for you. Other than that, there's nothing you can really do on your end besides a proxy.

As mentioned above, you could get a seedbox. Some don't support pirating, so you'll need to browse around a bit.

Otherwise, you're stuck.

6. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    If the ISP blocked a site, IP address, or tracker, there is nothing you can do to change their mind. The only solution is to work around it. Proxies, seedboxes, alternative sources/sites. That's all you can do.

Depending on your phone plan, you can also download it off your mobile hotspot. My brother did that with my Optus plan when I visited Australia and ate up 10GB in a week.

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    For the record guys we (as in those of us in Europe or the US) have probably been dealing with big boy filters for the last few years. More than a few Aus filters are DNS only still as far as I have seen, not all but enough that I am writing this now.

That said yeah your options are work around it or find a new site. Assuming it is not a DNS thing then chances are it will cost you as I do not think there are any free VPNs doing the rounds these days that I would care to use.

That said trackerless torrents and magnet links are a thing these days.

8. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    I need to find out someday what magnet links are...

9. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    you dont need to find what they are... all you need to know that you click on it (magnet link) and your latest web bowser and torrent client should handle it no problem. but basically instead of downloading a file call torrent you open a url which starts with magnet protocol.

10. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    I think he means how they actually work.

Flame likes this.
  11. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    what the science behind magnet links... thats Witchcraft !

12. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    From what I've read, some of the torrent info (hash, tracker list) is just embedded into the Magnet URI.
    The rest (file list, etc.) is gained from connected peers.

If no trackers can be contacted, there is a centralized backup server that acts as a global tracker; If I remember right, one is something with utorrent.com.
    There are several of these servers, but which one is contacted depends on the torrent client you're using. Some may not even use the mechanism.

As for the original issue, you do know that you can route your BitTorrent traffic through a proxy, right?

Originality likes this.
  13. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    basically when you download a torrent file, its a tiny file containing info about the files you download, a magnet link is just a torrent in a link, since a torrent file usually is small it can be shrinked into a special link, its basically the same thing without the hassle to save the torrent file....

Originality likes this.
  14. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Makes sense. uTorrent has supported it for ages, but I never saw the benefit over a torrent file aside from less clutter in the download folder. Now I know.