ISO to cISO converter

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by telekenetix, May 5, 2009.

May 5, 2009

ISO to cISO converter by telekenetix at 5:06 PM (32,233 Views / 0 Likes) 41 replies

1. telekenetix
    OP

Newcomer telekenetix Member

United States
    Now that cISOs can be handled by a few wbfs managers and command line versions of wbfs, I am wondering if there is any program that converts from ISO to cISO (like CISO Plus for PSP ISOs).

Anyone know of a good utility?

2. SpAM_CAN

Member SpAM_CAN GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Sigh... so many things wrong there.

First, an IOS is nothing like an ISO.
    An ISO is a disk image, but an IOS is a Wii System File. http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS

If you are talking about IOS then say IOS, but if you mean the ISO disk image format, then also specify what you mean by Custom ISO.

Thanks.

3. fiddlefaddle22

Member fiddlefaddle22 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    wbfs_inteligent_gui_v6 converts from wbfs drive to ciso if thats what you're looking for.I've managed to create over 60 ciso's using this method.

4. mikeyt1998

Member mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

United Kingdom
    He clearly knows what he's saying, he even mentioned PSP ISOs lol

also, what the hell is a cISO? custom ISO? like a rockband/ guitar hero custom?

thought the USB loader would be able to cope with that no problem... or is it because of trucha signing?

5. Bapao

Newcomer Bapao Newbie

United States
    cISO stands for compressed ISO, it's probably just the raw data as the WBFS file system scrubs it.

6. SpAM_CAN

United Kingdom
    Ahh... No. The WBFS system scrubs it, as you said. WBFS gets rid of all the junk code.

7. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    he didnt say ios, he didnt say custom iso, he said ciso, meaning COMPRESSED iso. it takes the disc image and makes it smaller. i dont know whether its possible with wii yet or not though, or if it's just psp for now....

8. telekenetix
    OP

United States
    Fail.

So, to explain...
    A cISO is a compressed (NOT CUSTOM) ISO. It is the ISO, but scrubbed. Essentially, the same as a scrubbed ISO, but you don't have to put it through WinRAR or some other compression program because it is already compressed. Which means, you can use wbfs_inteligent_gui_v6 or PrixM's simple GUI to add them directly to your wbfs drive, while having smaller (essentially) ISOs on your disk.

Now, what I am wondering is:
    Is there a program that will convert from ISO to cISO, because right now, I just put the ISO on my wbfs drive, then extract it as a cISO using PrixM's program, which is a bit of a hassle...

9. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    just so you know, this will not make games smaller on your wbfs partition, just on windows partitions for storage (if u dont want to rar them)

10. mikeyt1998

United Kingdom
    oh i see, its the ISO with the crap cut off. like it is on a HDD.

why do you want to convert an ISO to cISO then? just to save computer memory?

seconded, he thought he was clever too. i hate when british people are idiots.

11. SpAM_CAN

United Kingdom
    Whatever, often people mess up IOS and ISO.

12. Bapao

Newcomer Bapao Newbie

United States
    That's what I call "scrubbing".

13. telekenetix
    OP

United States
    Yes, but I do want to save space on my hard drive. Who wouldn't?

14. Alexrose

Member Alexrose Untitled

United Kingdom
    Wiiscrubber ftw?

Took down my MH3 demo iso from 4.3gb to

15. telekenetix
    OP

United States

16. mikeyt1998

United Kingdom

17. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    rar, as u probably downloaded them anyway, keep the rar files...

18. mestapho

Member mestapho GBAtemp Regular

United States
    A .rar of an uncompressed/scrubbed iso is not much if any smaller than the unrared iso/img.
    On an uncompressed/scrubbed iso a rar archive is used to make it easier to download off of
    storage sites ie: rapidshare/megaupload which have download limits for non premium accounts.

A scrubbed iso is able to be compressed much smaller because the junk data used to make the
    iso the correct size is changed into very compressable data.

cISO's are nice because they take up very little space and don't need to be extracted to add to
    a WBFS hdd.

It seems that the average size of a Wii game is about 2gb as a cISO as I have 100 games on my
    WBFS drive and they take up about 200gb of space.

I have been looking for an app that will convert my iso collection on my pc hard drive and convert them to Ciso for storage. I don't think the intelligent gui wbfs manager can do that can it?

19. mestapho

Member mestapho GBAtemp Regular

United States
    A .rar of an uncompressed/scrubbed iso is not much if any smaller than the unrared iso/img.
    On an uncompressed/scrubbed iso a rar archive is used to make it easier to download off of
    storage sites ie: rapidshare/megaupload which have download limits for non premium accounts.

A scrubbed iso is able to be compressed much smaller because the junk data used to make the
    iso the correct size is changed into very compressable data.

cISO's are nice because they take up very little space and don't need to be extracted to add to
    a WBFS hdd.

It seems that the average size of a Wii game is about 2gb as a cISO as I have 100 games on my
    WBFS drive and they take up about 200gb of space.

I have been looking for an app that will convert my iso collection on my pc hard drive and convert them to Ciso for storage. I don't think the intelligent gui wbfs manager can do that can it?

20. phpgeek

Member phpgeek GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I really fail to see the point in storing games as a cIOS?

Windows XP / Vista:

1. Create a folder called "wiigames".
    2. Right-click "wiigames" and click Properties.
    3. On the General tab, click Advanced.
    4. Check Compress contents to save disk space and click OK.
    5. Click OK in the Properties dialog to close it.

Right, now download a scrubbed ISO and extract it to "wiigames".

Congratulations!!

You now have a folder that will store scrubbed ISO's at full size but will only take up as much space as the original downloaded archive or a cISO (sometimes less). You can then use a WBFS Manager to copy them to USB / SD Storage device as normal or you can burn them to disc, again as normal!

It's true that there are some Scrubbed ISO's out there that are larger than ISO sizes installed to WBFS. However, most of these were compressed with older versions of Wii Scrubber and some contain the update partitions. If you remove an update partition from a Wii ISO (if present) and scrub it with the latest version of Wii Scrubber then you will be left with an ISO that will compress to more or less the same size of its WBFS (cISO) counterpart.

The benefits to storing a scrubbed game in a compressed folder is that it will take up no more space on your HD as a compressed archive or cISO, but you have the added benefits of the ISO retaining its legal size of 4,589,824 KB. This means that it maintains generic compatibility for burning a disc image (no padding required) and can be transferred directly to USB / SD storage using a WBFS Manager.

This leaves you to ask yourself the following question:

Do you want an ISO stored in a compressed folder that can be burnt to disc and used with the USB Loader, or do you want a cISO stored in a normal folder that can only be used with the USB Loader (unless it's padded out to 4,589,824 KB prior to burning)?

The question is NOT about space because neither method has any space saving benefits over the other. Zilch, zero, nada!!