Hacking Iso installation corrupted wii ( bricked )

ExtremeX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey!

I have a question, back in the day i tried to install a ( or change ) iso file i think it was somewhere from 251/255 not sure which one i installed or selected anymore, but once i did that it bricked my wii! It was to play monster hunter world if i'm correct, now it does turn on but it doesn't display anything on the screen.. is there anyway i might be able to unbrick my wii? I don't have the recovery of it sadly enough and cause of the years passed by i don't have the old sd card that was in it so i have to put the files back on a sd card and insert it back in. Hopefully someone could help me to unbrick my wii!

Kind regards

Reactions: SaulFabre

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Save this bootmii folder to the root of a fat32 formatted sd card, insert it in the wii with it powered off, then power it on. If you are fortunate enough to have bootmii installed to boot2, it will load on startup when this folder is detected on sd
http://static.hackmii.com/bootmii_sd_files.zip

Also, try holding reset while powering on the Wii. If priiloader is installed, it will load.

If u can access either of these then we're in business, otherwise you can try the save mii frii method but it's not something I'm personally very familiar with.

Oh, on a related note, doing anything to ios250 or 251 will not brick your console, I'm sure it was something else

ExtremeX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Save this bootmii folder to the root of a fat32 formatted sd card, insert it in the wii with it powered off, then power it on. If you are fortunate enough to have bootmii installed to boot2, it will load on startup when this folder is detected on sd

Also, try holding reset while powering on the Wii. If priiloader is installed, it will load.

If u can access either of these then we're in business, otherwise you can try the save mii frii method but it's not something I'm personally very familiar with.

Oh, on a related note, doing anything to ios250 or 251 will not brick your console, I'm sure it was something else

Alright i will try that tomorrow have to get a new sd card.
But it wasn't iso 251/250 it bricked my wii when using iso 255 or something, something around that number since monster hunter world required different iso or something to start. But if it works i will let you know, thanks for the reply!:)

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Alright i will try that tomorrow have to get a new sd card.
But it wasn't iso 251/250 it bricked my wii when using iso 255 or something, something around that number since monster hunter world required different iso or something to start. But if it works i will let you know, thanks for the reply!:)
an aclaration...
it is NOT "iso", it must be "IOS" in the case of the "plug-ins" that the Wii uses for loading games...

EDIT1: "iso" term is only used for Wii games that are in ISO (disc image file) format...

EDIT2: Another questions: have you made a NAND backup of your Wii using BootMii? and do you have a Nintendo GameCube controller? these are for restoring your Wii's NAND from your NAND backup

Last edited by SaulFabre,

ExtremeX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
an aclaration...
it is NOT "iso", it must be "IOS" in the case of the "plug-ins" that the Wii uses for loading games...

EDIT1: "iso" term is only used for Wii games that are in ISO (disc image file) format...

EDIT2: Another questions: have you made a NAND backup of your Wii using BootMii? and do you have a Nintendo GameCube controller? these are for restoring your Wii's NAND from your NAND backup
ye which they were if i'm correct, used wbfs manager always to put games on the HDD. And yes i do own an gamecube controller. I appearantly lost the display cable for my wii so orderd a new one

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
ye which they were if i'm correct, used wbfs manager always to put games on the HDD. And yes i do own an gamecube controller. I appearantly lost the display cable for my wii so orderd a new one
WBFS Manager is not recommended anymore for transferring WBFS to your HDD. You can use Wii Backup Manager for do these procedure of transferring your Wii backups to your HDD.
Link: http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/downloads.html

Well, don't forget to reinstall your brick protections (BootMii boot2+IOS & Priiloader) on your Wii and make a NAND backup for ensure you're protected against bricks.

The GameCube controller i've asked it to you becuase it is used for force the NAND restoration from your NAND backup if BootMii thinks your backup is dangerous but you know it's safe. I've wrote something of this in this thread where anyone wanted help with that: https://gbatemp.net/threads/please-help-me-please.587885/

Greetings

ExtremeX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

So i have tried it and it doesn't work, no screen at all.. neither does anything happen when i hold the reset button, what can i do now?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The tv does say "no signal" has that anything to do with the brick? I guess yes right?

ExtremeX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Research the savemiifrii method and try that next, but yeah, wii is probably toast. Next time use ModMii, and you'll have proper safety measures in place... but still don't go guessing at installing or uninstalling wads
Hmm alright, i don't need to dissamble my gamecube controller right in order to make it work to unbrick my wii? Or does it? And ye idk why it did that i just changed IOS for the game monster hunter world then it bricked my wii or it could've been the game?

ExtremeX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Neither of those should be able to cause brick. The timing could be a coincidence, and perhaps it's some kind of hardware failure

I think the savemiifrii method does require you disassemble a GC controller...

The wii worked fine it did happen when i tried to change or maybe install an ios version.. it didn't had any issues before i just remember it suddenly not working anymore after i did that exact step i said and alright i will try to do the other method you said, maybe i can find the nand backup since i found my old HDD which had backup files of the wii in it, i will check if they are the ones. But if they are, what am i supposed to do? Just put it on an sd card and into the wii?

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There isn't a game called "Monster Hunter World" on the Wii. Are you... are you trying to run a game from a different console on the Wii??

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Changing and installing an IOS are very different things. If in a usbloader you switch from IOS249 to ios250, this carries zero risk of bricking. But if you mess up your system menu IOS (E.g. Ios80 on 4.3, ios70 on 4.2, etc) then yes it can cause brick

All I was saying is changing an ios and running a game wouldn't have bricked you. Now if you did something else, all bets are off

ExtremeX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There isn't a game called "Monster Hunter World" on the Wii. Are you... are you trying to run a game from a different console on the Wii??

It was this game p sure: Monster Hunter Tri

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Changing and installing an IOS are very different things. If in a usbloader you switch from IOS249 to ios250, this carries zero risk of bricking. But if you mess up your system menu IOS (E.g. Ios80 on 4.3, ios70 on 4.2, etc) then yes it can cause brick

All I was saying is changing an ios and running a game wouldn't have bricked you. Now if you did something else, all bets are off
Ah ye gotcha, if i might find the backup back of the wii thats been done through modmii or w/e its called am i able to restore it's functionality again or is it a lost cause if i dont get a signal?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
If you cannot access bootmii but have a nand backup then you would need a hardware flasher to fix the wii, like an infectus. But these are difficult to find, involves disassembling the wii and soldering, and it would probably be cheaper/easier to buy another used Wii.

Reactions: jeannotte

ExtremeX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you cannot access bootmii but have a nand backup then you would need a hardware flasher to fix the wii, like an infectus. But these are difficult to find, involves disassembling the wii and soldering, and it would probably be cheaper/easier to buy another used Wii.

Hello, i am back!:P soooo... i was just checking out some YT and i found a video regarding: Comex nand formatter? Is it something i could use to try to fix my wii? And if so do you have the files by any chance?

It's regarding this video:

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Considering that bootmii is not loading for you (as you reported here), I doubt that any such video will help you.
Looked roughly through the video. Seems a plausible method. Probably pretty similar to flashing a NAND image created with Ohneschwanzenegger (gee… who came up with this name?! Every time I type makes me cringe).

However, the limitation is always the same: Brick protection (BootMii in boot2 and/or Priiloader) has to be present BEFORE things go bad.

One of those cases where only soldering/hardmod could help, which means in most cases → † Yet Another Wii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over