Is YouTube violating the US 1st amendment

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Dominator211, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Dominator211
    OP

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I was thinking about how the Youtube platform is dying. and something that Keemstar said dawned on me... A while ago he said that youtube is dividing up people's channels into 3 groups, kid teen and adult I believe and depending on a channels rating certain people can see the content. Let's use my brother, for example, he is a kid and usually watches kid-related content. but in this example, let's say he watches Mcjugegrnuggets and his channel is categorized as a teen, and my brother is classified as a kid by his age. In this situation, if my brother searched for a channel that was not kid friendly, it just wouldn't come up because of his age. Some of your are probably asking how does this Violate the 1st amendment.... well for those that live in other countries the US first amendment states...

That there should be nothing that goes against...
    Freedom of speech
    Freedom of religion
    Freedom of press
    Freedom of assembly
    Freedom of petition

But still, how does this violate the first amendment... well for something totally unrelated someone told me that the reason the USA doesn't censor the internet is that it theoretically violates the first amendment. So knowing this and the problem stated above don't you guys think that youtube censoring the content from views can be considered censored the internet and therefore violates the first amendment.

I get that Youtube is a worldwide platform and these laws don't apply to many, if not all other countries and that I know nothing of the laws of the USA but I just think that this a valid case and id like to start a discussion about it.

2. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    It's a private company and you're agreeing to their terms of service, since everything is hosted on their servers, they can do whatever the heck they want with it.
    Not really breaking anything here.

gamefan5, Veho, nxwing and 11 others like this.
  3. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    like i said not an expert at law

4. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Plus the fact Youtube doesn't hide videos (except those that are really too adult for kids) by default, like if you're not connected to your Google account or if you chose the correct settings. So saying that Youtube following the settings specified in your account you can logout from is violating an amendment is ridiculous.

5. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    No.

Youtube is a private company, they are free to do what they like.

1st amendment, means the goverment can't censor, oppress or punish you for what you say.

HaloEliteLegend likes this.
  6. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Idid i not just say IM NOT AN EXPERT AT LAW

7. DKB

DKB FUCK OFF

May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    This would only apply if YouTube was a .gov website.

8. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    Not true. Even so government is not required to provide you with a platform on their websites

9. DKB

DKB FUCK OFF

May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    Yeah. I was just pretty much agreeing with in the sense of that YouTube is a private company and they can do whatever the hell they want with their information.

10. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Why get upset at people "discussing" your question by giving a simple and straightforward answer? Nobody is criticising you or anything, nor calling into question what you may or may not know about law.

Question asked, answer given.

11. biosyn

biosyn Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2007
    United States
    Surely an internet forum about video games is the ideal way to get information on the laws of my own country. Why would anyone want to do their own basic research?

12. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Doesn't the right to free speech also mean you can't force someone to say something they don't want to say? So you can't force Youtube to host videos they don't want to host?

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  13. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Just out of curiosity: does that someone know that the US doesn't own the internet in the first place? :unsure:

While it's certainly true that some major services are owned by US-based companies (among which youtube), that doesn't make the content automatically fall under US legislation. MS and google, for instance (I thought apple as well, but don't quote me on that), fight tooth and nail over the content of the mails that they store for foreign individuals and companies*. These are already physically stored in data warehouses on the continent, and as such should be treated as being under legislation of said country.

*at least that's their official stance. The Snowden files, however, revealed that the NSA has (or had) backdoors into their mails no matter what.

Seliph likes this.
  14. GomiHiko

GomiHiko Newbie

Newcomer
    May 9, 2017
    United States
    The first amendment gives you freedom from censorship from the government. YouTube, Google, and Alphabet are not the government.

WeedZ likes this.
  15. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    Christ, I swear some Americans sole purpose in life is to question whether something is violating the first amendment.

Lacius, frogboy, gamefan5 and 4 others like this.
  16. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    To be honest with you, who cares ? You know there are many disgusting and gross videos in youtube and youtube doesn't care about anything. I just use youtube for cute animals, video games, tips and hints on the video games. Thats good enough for me.

Ace_Axel and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  17. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    The first amendment does not guarantee you the right to youtube.

Pacheko17 and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  18. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Not the first amendment, but they can be potentially sued for a variety of reasons. If they do things unfairly when they legally have to do something fairly (especially as it deals with money), then they could be sued. They could even only push a particular viewpoint and be okay. Only really when you get into messing with people's money would they get in trouble, and even then only being sued (maybe fined in some countries). I wonder if they'll get sued over their disastrous "hero" program...

Comments and censorship by themselves aren't anything on youtube. I mean, it makes them huge quivering aholes, but it's not illegal. People tend to confuse "being a huge ahole" with "totally illegal", which they aren't the same thing. Just aholes probably break the law more.

Nah, we just made the internet happen. That's why the US has ".com" and the rest of the world has their country at the end. The US in the internet default position :P But I agree with the gist of what you're saying. Whatever country has the server that the data goes through can seem to claim jurisdiction. At least, that's how the US does things. Any bit of data travel through any US server? They will use that to go after whoever the F*** they want. I'm sure other countries do the same.

Last edited by osaka35, Jun 18, 2017
  19. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    you made me laugh

20. SANIC

SANIC GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence

Jan 13, 2017
    United States