Hacking Is vWii softmodding without game discs currently possible?

Irastris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if a thread already exists for this, I'm still getting used to navigating the site.

I know it's rather cheapskate of me, but is there anyway to softmod vWii currently so that I don't have to buy SSBB or any other games that can be used for modding vWii?

Cafe OS was already updated to 5.3.2 because I was a bit late to the party for buying my Wii U. I figure that probably dwindles my chances of softmodding without game discs (or even with game discs), but I figured I'd ask anyways.

Reactions: Margen67

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
No. I don't think it was ever possible without a game on the vWii. I suggest buying the game that supports SDHC/SDXC because I spent hours looking for a normal SD card for Smash.

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually wrote a Windows program that formats any SD, SDHC, or SDXC card to a 2GB FAT16 SD card that works with all Wii and vWii exploits. I've had to post this about five times because the guy who made the "Basic Do's and Do NOT's of vWii modding" hasn't been online for ages. Maybe Cyan could add it to the OP of that thread for me.
Anyway, here are the instructions:

1: Open "makefat16.zip".
2: Run "makefat16.exe".
2: Type the letter of the drive to format. (Be careful not to type your OS drive. :P)
3: Check the properties of the drive in My Computer. It should show up as a 2GB FAT16 drive!

Attachments

• makefat16.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 342

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, Wii U version shouldn't matter, all are equally hackable. You just need to get a copy of a game that allows you to do it. Not sure if the newest Smash discs without the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection sticker would work(haven't actually been following vWii stuff), you could try a Lego game, borrow Smash from a friend like I did, or be lucky and find an old copy that still has the Nintendo Wi-Fi sticker on it.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
No. I don't think it was ever possible without a game on the vWii. I suggest buying the game that supports SDHC/SDXC because I spent hours looking for a normal SD card for Smash.
Except none exist. They all use older IOS's that don't have drivers for SDHC. Get a 2GB SD card online.

And for the record, no SDXC card will work on a Wii or Wii U, no matter where you run it from.

Edit: Try the thing Mr. Mysterio posted if you have an SDHC/SDXC card, but don't bank on it working for sure.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/WiiMode is correct when it says "These exploits all require a particular original Wii game to be inserted. All other publicly-released Wii exploits (such as Twilight Hack, Bannerbomb, LetterBomb) do not work in the Wii U's Wii Mode. The games used in these exploits do not support SDHC cards - use a 2GB SD card".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...