Is update and/or softmod possible

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by 77Urmel77, May 28, 2014.

1. 77Urmel77
    OP

77Urmel77 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2013
    Germany
    Hello community.

On the web I found a used and chiped wii with lots of additonal things like a zapper, nunchucks, remotes, games, a loadingstation, rechargeable batteries and, and, and for only a few bucks.
    I talked to the owner but he couldn't tell me wich firmware or wich chip is in it.

So my question is, is the chip relevant if i want to update the firmware or if i want to softmod the wii?
    Can the Wii brick if i do it?

My plan is to update to 4.3e, then do letterbomb and then SoftWii. Can this work?

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    The software version of the Wii is largely irrelevant; as you figured, you can just update it to 4.3E and use Letterbomb regardless of what it's on now.

3. 77Urmel77
    OP

77Urmel77 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2013
    Germany
    i'm unsure because of this unknown chip that is in it. i'm afraid it can brick the console if i modify the systemfiles with a softmod. and i'm also afraid the update could block or break the console if it detects the chip. :(

4. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States

It's probably a WiiKey or a clone that would work with the firmware. (Just it was the most common chip by far. I even bought them in bulk at one time.)

If it has a chip and GameCube ports it probably can read burnt disks. If you have a spare blank DVD laying around to burn download the WiiKey firmware update and tools burn that and if it isn't a WiiKey or clone it will say no chip detected or something.

But you can also just softmod the system to what ever firmware you wan't. I think most of the issues have been solved via loaders.