Is this Phishing?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by relminator, May 31, 2011.

1. relminator
    OP

relminator #AnyaBasic

May 28, 2010
    I got an email from
    The thing is, though I have a paypal account, they sent me the notification into my other email address.

So is this email legit or they are trying to phis me?

Thanks!

2. david432111

david432111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 17, 2008
    Denmark
    It's still phishing...
    When you click on the link to "update your account details", you will most likely be taken to a phishing site where you will be asked to enter your paypal account details. BTW, it is easy to fake the from address, so don't let that fool you.

3. relminator
    OP

relminator #AnyaBasic

May 28, 2010
    Thanks!!!

Not that they'll get lot's from me though. LOL

4. BumFace

BumFace GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2007
    UK, London
    If you're suspicious of other stuff, try to view full headers and check where does your email actual gets sent to.

5. BlueStar

BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 10, 2006
    UK
    Paypal ALWAYS call you by your full name in emails. And they can spell customer. Unless you set up your account solely to buy cosplay and fancy dress stuff?

Clicking the link will take you to a fake paypal site, log the username and password you enter and pass them onto someone who will empty your account. If you get an email telling you to do something on your account, don't follow a link in the email, open a web browser and type www.paypal.com and log on that way. Then you know you're actually on the site you think you are.

6. Smartpal

Smartpal The Guitar Guy

Feb 10, 2009
    India
    New Delhi, India
    LOL

7. Nollog

Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2008
    If in doubt, type www.paypal.com in your address bar and login. Look for anything saying you're suspended.

8. doyama

doyama GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 30, 2006
    United States
    If you have to ask it IS PHISHING [​IMG]

Though to be honest I'm kinda surprised, almost all phishing emails get dumped into the junk bin for me by default. hotmail has become much more usable now that 99% of the crap I get actually gets routed to my junk box correctly.

9. InuYasha

InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

Dec 8, 2007
    United States
    I get all kinds of that crap here and there,change your facebook password (don't have one),your order just shipped from amazon(didn't order anything) etc etc its basically all the same shit...

10. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    just look at where the links go
    usually they go to a random ip