Gaming Is this PC g00d 4 gaming????

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
There's a surprising level of misinformation here. Firstly, it's wrong to assume laptops are bad for gaming by default. I've seen a number of laptops that outperform many computers in games, but mainly it's important to consider the parts that make up the laptop/computer.

Firstly, the CPU. AMD Athlon Dual Core, 2Ghz. This is like the staple of cheap but efficient processors. It will have no trouble handling any non-intensive applications like office, music, and standard definition video (though that also depends on the graphics). When it comes to more intensive usage (like compressing/extracting, encoding/decoding, etc) or even moderate gaming, you'll find that AMD (except the more expensive ones) tend to under perform by up to 40% compared to equivalent Intel chips.

Secondly, the graphics. ATI HD 4200. Let's break down that number - HD4 series (designed for DX10), 200 model (i.e the lowest of the HD4 range). This is a very low power discreet graphics card. It will perform better than many Intel UMD and GMA integrated graphics, but it will certainly not be able to handle CRYSIS or any game that uses a significant level of 3D. Case in point, it'll struggle playing Team Fortress 2 in medium graphics, and even in lowest settings it will still feel choppy and sluggish at times. Don't expect to hit 50+ framerates in 3D games with it.

Thirdly (and not as importantly), RAM. DDR2 RAM, whilst good enough for that laptop, will not help it handle games that well. 4GB is a good amount, meaning that windows won't slow it down, but when it comes to high end games, you need the edge that DDR3 gives because data needs to travel quickly in more modern systems.

I won't bother going into detail about the rest of the laptop. In general, laptops aren't as great gaming machines as desktops because they tend to use cheaper parts (and mobile, low voltage versions of the same parts) in the name of shaving costs and making sure it doesn't burn up like calories in a gym. However, performance in either is directly linked to the money put into them.

If you want a decent gaming laptop, try to get one with a Core i series CPU, such as Core i3 or Core i5. They're 35-59% faster than Core 2 equivolents, according to stats I saw in PC World the other day, but generally they make for fast machines. The graphics is also important, so if you're getting ATI, look for HD 4600 or higher, or HD 5400 or higher. Never accept a HD x200. As for Nvidia, it's a lil more difficult. Geforce 8600s are infamous for dying (although I've got one on my media laptop that runs happily), but 9600 or 9800 used to be loved by gamers a couple years ago. These days it's either GTX 210, 310 or 330. The only difference between 310 and 330 is double the RAM, but that really does make a difference in the feel of games where lots of textures are used.

If that's too difficult to remember, go to a shop and try pressing window+pause (look in the top right corner of the keyboard) to bring up the system properties. It'll usually let you click the windows performance ratings so you can see how well the laptop fares in each of the key areas - CPU, RAM, HDD, Aero (windows) and Gaming. For example, the Acer Aspire 5740 my dad just got scores 6.7 in CPU (Core i5), 5.5 in RAM (3GB of DDR3), 3.9 in Aero and 5.0 in Gaming (integrated graphics - good for battery life, bad for games). In comparison, my media laptop scores 5.7 in Gaming (GeForce 8600M) and it can happily play Left 4 Dead in medium graphics at 40 fps.

EDIT: Just to throw in an example of a good gaming laptop, look for the Acer Aspire 5942 (15") or 8942 (18") series laptops. They both have either i3, i5 or i7 (with rising prices for each) but they both have very good graphics cards (HD5650 or HD5850). I love them to bits (because of the media bar on the side) but the problem with them is the price, going from £750 to £1400 for the best configuration possible with them. Then again, considering that for £1400, you get 18.4" screen, Core i7, HD 5850 (the only better gfx cards are 5870 and 5970, which is a dual core 5870) and BluRay, it's not surprising that it's a lil dire. Still better than Dell XPSs that I've seen...

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Originality said:
There's a surprising level of misinformation here. Firstly, it's wrong to assume laptops are bad for gaming by default. I've seen a number of laptops that outperform many computers in games, but mainly it's important to consider the parts that make up the laptop/computer.

Firstly, the CPU. AMD Athlon Dual Core, 2Ghz. This is like the staple of cheap but efficient processors. It will have no trouble handling any non-intensive applications like office, music, and standard definition video (though that also depends on the graphics). When it comes to more intensive usage (like compressing/extracting, encoding/decoding, etc) or even moderate gaming, you'll find that AMD (except the more expensive ones) tend to under perform by up to 40% compared to equivalent Intel chips.

The CPU is not that important for most games, since they use the GPU way more

QUOTE said:
Secondly, the graphics. ATI HD 4200. Let's break down that number - HD4 series (designed for DX10), 200 model (i.e the lowest of the HD4 range). This is a very low power discreet graphics card. It will perform better than many Intel UMD and GMA integrated graphics, but it will certainly not be able to handle CRYSIS or any game that uses a significant level of 3D. Case in point, it'll struggle playing Team Fortress 2 in medium graphics, and even in lowest settings it will still feel choppy and sluggish at times. Don't expect to hit 50+ framerates in 3D games with it.

The HD 4200 is like the HD3200 a integrated graphic solution

QUOTE said:
Thirdly (and not as importantly), RAM. DDR2 RAM, whilst good enough for that laptop, will not help it handle games that well. 4GB is a good amount, meaning that windows won't slow it down, but when it comes to high end games, you need the edge that DDR3 gives because data needs to travel quickly in more modern systems.

the difference in performance between DDR2 800 MHz and DDR3 1066 MHz is not very high. The greatest difference between DDR2 and DDR3 is the voltage. DDR3 uses lower voltage -> lower power usage

I won't bother going into detail about the rest of the laptop. In general, laptops aren't as great gaming machines as desktops because they tend to use cheaper parts (and mobile, low voltage versions of the same parts) in the name of shaving costs and making sure it doesn't burn up like calories in a gym. However, performance in either is directly linked to the money put into them.

If you want a decent gaming laptop, try to get one with a Core i series CPU, such as Core i3 or Core i5. They're 35-59% faster than Core 2 equivolents, according to stats I saw in PC World the other day, but generally they make for fast machines. The graphics is also important, so if you're getting ATI, look for HD 4600 or higher, or HD 5400 or higher. Never accept a HD x200. As for Nvidia, it's a lil more difficult. Geforce 8600s are infamous for dying (although I've got one on my media laptop that runs happily), but 9600 or 9800 used to be loved by gamers a couple years ago. These days it's either GTX 210, 310 or 330. The only difference between 310 and 330 is double the RAM, but that really does make a difference in the feel of games where lots of textures are used.

If that's too difficult to remember, go to a shop and try pressing window+pause (look in the top right corner of the keyboard) to bring up the system properties. It'll usually let you click the windows performance ratings so you can see how well the laptop fares in each of the key areas - CPU, RAM, HDD, Aero (windows) and Gaming. For example, the Acer Aspire 5740 my dad just got scores 6.7 in CPU (Core i5), 5.5 in RAM (3GB of DDR3), 3.9 in Aero and 5.0 in Gaming (integrated graphics - good for battery life, bad for games). In comparison, my media laptop scores 5.7 in Gaming (GeForce 8600M) and it can happily play Left 4 Dead in medium graphics at 40 fps.

EDIT: Just to throw in an example of a good gaming laptop, look for the Acer Aspire 5942 (15") or 8942 (18") series laptops. They both have either i3, i5 or i7 (with rising prices for each) but they both have very good graphics cards (HD5650 or HD5850). I love them to bits (because of the media bar on the side) but the problem with them is the price, going from £750 to £1400 for the best configuration possible with them. Then again, considering that for £1400, you get 18.4" screen, Core i7, HD 5850 (the only better gfx cards are 5870 and 5970, which is a dual core 5870) and BluRay, it's not surprising that it's a lil dire. Still better than Dell XPSs that I've seen...

he should really get a desktop, it's cheaper and more future proof. The graphics card is too slow for games in 1 1/2 years? Ok take it out and put another one in.
Laptop GPUs are crippled most of the times and are soon not powerful enough for high end gaming. And if you want to take your high end laptop with you, you'll suffer the high weight and low battery life.

So take a desktop for gaming and high end processing and if you need something portable for work on the go, get some good laptop with integrated graphics or a low end dedicated GPU

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Kroatien99 said:
Desktops are the best for this purpose.

Fixed
smile.gif

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Kroatien99 said:
Buy desktop.
Laptops aren't good for gaming.
This. Laptops have smaller screens, less power and you either have to use a crappy touchpad, or a usb mouse, but then you'll have to figure out where to rest the mouse while playing.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I still use my media laptop from 3 years ago for general gaming (it's got an extra 22" monitor, keyboard and mouse attached anyway). When it comes to better games (CRYSIS, Dawn of War 2, Modern Warefare 2, etc), I use my comp.

Gaming laptops are sometimes named "replacement desktops". They have crap all battery, but it's enough if the house suddenly lost power and you needed to save whatever you were doing. What's more important is that you can take them upstairs or downstairs or to friend's LAN parties easily. If I tried that with my comp.... I'd need a car for sure.

However the point for upgrading in comps is valid. I've been able to upgrade the CPU in my media laptop to a T7500 (700Mhz faster than my previous CPU), but replacing the GeForce 8600M is much more difficult (it's hard to find replacement GPU chips). In comparison, comps are very straightforward.

My opinion is simply that having 1 uber-comp for the latest games is best, for for everything else, laptops are better. I can use my media laptop for moderate gaming, multi-media and internet research/chatting, whilst my comp does all the hard stuff (big games, big projects, big applications, etc), and I can have my tablet on the side with extra resources I might need (like websites). And now that my Dad has a new laptop, I can borrow that if I need to travel since it has a good battery life (5 hours).

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Raki said:
Whoa, whoa, totally untrue. You would get a hell of a bottleneck if you used a 1.5GHz Pentium 4 with four GTX 480's.
wink.gif

Never forget about the CPU!

Lodis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Laptops aren't usually any good for gaming unless you are willing to spend quite a lot, especially in comparison to how much a similar spec desktop would cost.

However, with the right laptop, gaming is fine. For example, my 15'' gaming laptop can play GTA IV at 1600 x 900 resolution, all High settings and sliders at 40, shadows at 5 and I get 55 fps in the benchmark and from 40-55 fps in actual game. I also play Saints Row 2 which is a known poorly optimised Console port, maxed out, 4X AA and I get 45 fps. I also play BFBC2 all High settings, DX10, HBAO enabled and I get from 35-45 fps, in DX9 forced mode, I get a constant 55 - 65 fps.

In fact, I can max out every single game I own including Prototype, Batman AA (Physx normal), Red Faction 3, Crysis and many more. All of my temps are fine with the GPU at 78C under load, 40-45C idle, and CPU at 72C under load. HDD idles at 40C and under load goes to 41C.

If you want to be able to play your entire gaming collection where ever you travel to or stay then laptops are very capable. Most of the people who complain were just poorly informed buyers.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Lodis said:
Laptops aren't usually any good for gaming unless you are willing to spend quite a lot, especially in comparison to how much a similar spec desktop would cost.

However, with the right laptop, gaming is fine. For example, my 15'' gaming laptop can play GTA IV at 1600 x 900 resolution, all High settings and sliders at 40, shadows at 5 and I get 55 fps in the benchmark and from 40-55 fps in actual game. I also play Saints Row 2 which is a known poorly optimised Console port, maxed out, 4X AA and I get 45 fps. I also play BFBC2 all High settings, DX10, HBAO enabled and I get from 35-45 fps, in DX9 forced mode, I get a constant 55 - 65 fps.

In fact, I can max out every single game I own including Prototype, Batman AA (Physx normal), Red Faction 3, Crysis and many more. All of my temps are fine with the GPU at 78C under load, 40-45C idle, and CPU at 72C under load. HDD idles at 40C and under load goes to 41C.

If you want to be able to play your entire gaming collection where ever you travel to or stay then laptops are very capable. Most of the people who complain were just poorly informed buyers.
Still, a $1,000 PC would out play a $1,000 laptop by a lot.

Care to let us know what video card you have?

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Arctic said:
Raki said:
Whoa, whoa, totally untrue. You would get a hell of a bottleneck if you used a 1.5GHz Pentium 4 with four GTX 480's.
wink.gif

Never forget about the CPU!

That's a CPU from about the year 2000/2001 and a 2010 GPU...very unrealistic...don't you think?

What I mean is that you don't need a uberquadcore i7 to play the latest games...a moderate C2D would be more than enough, so for games GPU comes first and then the CPU, since most graphics calculation are using the GPU

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, yes, portrait mode, surely the best way to film a row of people. If only there were some way to fit a wider shot, at the expense of height... if only...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    4k portrait mode?
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/Rx-KuevU4h4?si=1MoSvL-y5fFFHf58 Damn kinda sad for Iran