Is this laptop good?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Feels Good Man, Aug 9, 2009.

Aug 9, 2009

Is this laptop good? by Feels Good Man at 12:44 AM (1,127 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Feels Good Man
    OP

Member Feels Good Man GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...5252&catid=

I cant buy stuff online because my mom doesnt want to so I have to get it at a retail store so yeah >__<

I'll be using it for games as well. Would it run Crysis? Im just using it as a benchmark for other games and I MIGHT get it even though for the mediocre gameplay.

2. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    That seems really expensive for that computer. I'm not really up to date with laptops at all, but I've seen laptops like that for less than $600 on Newegg.com. Tell your mom that she should at least consider online shopping if she values her money.

3. Lodis

Member Lodis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It will play Crysis on low settings but that price is the biggest ripp off I have seen for a long time. For that price you can get a laptop with almost twice the performance and that WILL play Crysis.

4. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    I'd have to agree with the post above. That price is ridiciously high when considering what you get for it.

5. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    what about telephone ordering? Dell are good, and you can haggle over the phone.

6. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    the price looks fine if converted in my currency. almost similar laptops here are on that price. I've seen a Php 50,000+ laptop that can do well. since this is a Php 60,000+ laptop, Im not so sure

7. Feels Good Man
    OP

Canada
    Yeah, I know. The thing is my mom wont buy online so I have to make due on the best, but "cheapest" laptop I get get my hands on. She wont even listen to reason >__<

Are there any others on that site that would be worth buying? I think that was the best I found >__<

Would it at least run Battlefield 1943, Fallout 3 or Oblivion well? (another benchmark)

8. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    C'mon your joking...battlefield 1943? that game is ooooooooold [​IMG] even eeePCs can run that well (OK on low graphics, but they are so much more lame than this laptop)

9. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    Battlefield 1943 is not old. It's the new "remake" of 1942 and it's not even out for PC yet.

Edit: I noticed it has the Graphics Chipset: Nvidia GeForce GT 130M w/ 1GB memory. A member here with an Acer that cost about 750 USD with the same GPU said he could play Crysis on high settings. If the Acer can play that, I'm sure this HP could play the three games you mentioned. Though it does have faster DDR3 ram and a 0.10 faster processor so that laptop is totally a rip off.

10. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Yeah, battlefield 1943 is SOOO OLD!! it's a whole month old!!

On topic: I think it would be okay for running oblivion... I have no idea about battlefield or crysis though :/

11. NintendoLover64

Newcomer NintendoLover64 Advanced Member

Iceland
    the little laptop im using to write this comment has 2gb ram and it can't play n64 games except for oot and sm64

that price is bullshit btw

12. IchigoK2031

Member IchigoK2031 Wannabe Shirow Miwa...

United States
    Alienware laptop or XPS studio for Dell, just check under their gaming laptops. But in general for gaming most of my friends(me included) just use a desktop, you get more power for less money.

13. abaddon41_80

Member abaddon41_80 GBAtemp Regular

United States
  14. Feels Good Man
    OP

Canada
  15. Feels Good Man
    OP

Canada
  16. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    that processor is quite good and it's a P series one with 25W TDP (not like the T series with it's 35W TDP) so your laptop will last you longer on battery and stays cooler (10W TDP difference is quite a lot...you even feel it on eeePCs...take a 701 with Celeron M ULV CPU 5W TDP vs a Atom N270/N280 2,5W/2W...you will feel the heat difference after a while)
    4GB RAM is more or less standard nowadays on full sized laptops, the resolution is standard and in my eyes for productive work not that well, but you want to game, so better aim for a lower native resolution, 320GB HDD should last you a bit until it's full
    and it's a Asus, I Like the machines Asus builds, good price + good quality (not superb like Thinkpads, but still good, especially for that price)

but I have no idea about the graphics...maybe other ppl here know about this graphics card