Homebrew is there any sort of app on the wii u that lets the vwii run burnt discs

Kopimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. The drive is completely different in the Wii U from the original Wii. It would require a drivechip (none were ever developed for the U).

Honestly, USB loading is the way to go. Its much faster than the disc drive anyways. Check this thread here for everything you need to know for setting up homebrew, USB backup loaders etc https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
is there any app like that so i could burn a rom to a disc?
It is not a question of homebrew or CFW access on the console. The Wii U drive itself doesn't read standard DVDs.

Over the years overall drive security got better → no modchips anymore. In addition to that the interest in optical discs dropped next to zero. The perspectives for someone wanting physical backups aren't very good (while convenient USB loading is available on all Wii and Wii U). In the case of Wii games you might want to find an old, white RVL-001. The older, the better. Software and hardware modifications exist to read DVD-ROM, DVD-R and DVD+R (booktype set to DVD-ROM¹) on them. Note that "white RVL-001" is a necessary condition, but not sufficient for reading standard DVDs.

Nope. The drive is completely different in the Wii U from the original Wii. It would require a drivechip (none were ever developed for the U).

Honestly, USB loading is the way to go. Its much faster than the disc drive anyways. Check this thread here for everything you need to know for setting up homebrew, USB backup loaders etc https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/
Even the last Wii drives didn't get modchips. There was some announcement for a "WiiKey U" but as far as I know it turned out to be vaporware and supposed to be an optical drive emulator. No idea if it would have been able to patch the drive for reading standard DVDs and BDs.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think even the Wii couldn't run burned disc anymore on latest revisions, something with drives not being compatible anymore with the DVD norm. (but I might be wrong here, it's been too long)
Neogamma can even throw some "drive too new" error if I remember that correctly.

Reactions: Cyan and jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol