Homebrew Question Is there a working Windows 10 on Switch?

Joseph111

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by x65943, , Reason: Reply to trashed post excised
Reactions: Centergaming
D

Deleted User

i'm seeing all these shitposts but there actually is a version of windows 10 for arm devices... there's also a version of windows 8 for arm devices as well

there's also windows 10 iot which doesn't really do anything useful from what i remember

Reactions: Joseph111

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So there isn't really anything new. I saw the Git Desuls linked and its from the video I watched. Has anyone here got it fully working is what I'm wondering

If someone here had got it working then there would be several threads about it already.

Joseph111

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If someone here had got it working then there would be several threads about it already.

I've seen threads on other forums, but I don't know. I asked as It was nearly 9 months ago when that video was released so was under the impression that someone has got it working to an extent but information seems limited

TheSynthax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one has written the drivers necessary to even load the kernel, only the Windows efi loader. I doubt anyone ever will get Windows booting fully, let alone with any actual device support eg. USB, audio, JoyCons, and especially graphics acceleration. If you want to do it for the hell of it, it is publicly possible to install and launch the Windows bootloader AND the WinPE installation/recovery environment onto an SD card, as I have done.

dudemo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You basically have two options for running Windows 10 ARM currently. You can buy a Raspberry Pi 3 and run it on that. I don't recommend this. It runs like absolute crap. And I do mean like absolute crap. Or you can buy a cell phone from 2015. A Lumia 950 XL or the 950. I suggest the 950 XL as all SoC cores work and aren't locked to the minimum frequency like they are on the 950. Also, if you stay on a WoA build low enough (build 18363), cellular calling will work in Windows 10.

I have and use the 950 XL daily. It dual boots Windows 10 ARM and Windows 10 Mobile.

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use moonlight on my PC to stream it to my switch running Android. It actually runs rather well and gives me the ability to play my PC "portably" around the house. I was even able to stream from my PS4 to my PC then to my switch just for the lolz but surprised it handled well. I think that's as good as it gets. As far as a windows native boot, I don't think it will be possible.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To actually respond to OP as this thread continues to devolve into nonsense:

Windows 10 for ARM exists and is a thing. However, w.r.t. ARM devices, they really aren't as generic/modular as traditional x86 platforms. In most cases, the kernel of the OS (its basic, most bare-bones component that actually interfaces with the hardware) needs to be customized before it will even boot properly. This is why you can't really download a generic "Android install disk" for your phone. A custom kernel/OS needs to be created for pretty much every platform/device.

Unlike Linux/Android, the Windows 10 kernel (NT) is closed source, meaning only Microsoft can make the required modifications to it. The only platforms that Microsoft has added support for in the Windows for ARM kernel at this time are Qualcomm Snapdragon devices and the Raspberry Pi. Microsoft had approached nVidia in the past about adding compatibility for their devices, but nVidia politely told them "thanks, but no thanks."

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/notebooks/45090-microsoft-wanted-nvidia-for-windows-10

Last edited by PityOnU,
Reactions: Joseph111

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
In my flaming post, there also was a link to an article that described, why using Windows on ARM might not be such a great idea, but - oh well. PC babies need safe spaces just as much as Windows 10 for Switch, apparently. Also I adressed the point that x86 apps will only run in what could only described as 'lousy emulation'.

Oh - never mind, that you already have a native linux environment if you need it for productivities sake. No - just count on people never wanting to learn new things and ask for the worst possible thing, just because of familarity.

Oh yes - I'm sure some dev will port a Microsoft product for most easy now user in his free time. For everyone to have a roten experience with it anyhow. (Just read, that they cant. Oh well..)

Oh, and never mind, that you already have gotten an android port, that should cover all the things you'd possible ever could want to experience on a Switch, with native apps, and a touch focused UI. No - of course you need Windows 10 for Arm, because you dont want to learn something new.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: crazy_p

Joseph111

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In my flaming post, there also was a link to an article that described, why using Windows on ARM might not be such a great idea, but - oh well. PC babies need safe spaces just as much as Windows 10 for Switch, apparently. Also I adressed the point that x86 apps will only run in what could only described as 'lousy emulation'.

Oh - never mind, that you already have a native linux environment if you need it for productivities sake. No - just count on people never wanting to learn new things and ask for the worst possible thing, just because of familarity.

Oh yes - I'm sure some dev will port a Microsoft product for most easy now user in his free time. For everyone to have a roten experience with it anyhow. (Just read, that they cant. Oh well..)

Oh, and never mind, that you already have gotten an android port, that should cover all the things you'd possible ever could want to experience on a Switch, with native apps, and a touch focused UI. No - of course you need Windows 10 for Arm, because you dont want to learn something new.

Probably the worst off topic rant I've read on this post, thanks for wasting your time writing this. I've literally asked if there's a Working version on it. I've used Linux and still to this day, as well as the Android on Switch. Your post aint even relevant at all. Thanks

dudemo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably the worst off topic rant I've read on this post, thanks for wasting your time writing this. I've literally asked if there's a Working version on it. I've used Linux and still to this day, as well as the Android on Switch. Your post aint even relevant at all. Thanks
It was relevant to his own opinion and not my own. Or, it would appear, yours.

For me Windows 10 ARM is not simply because it is "familiar" or that I don't want to "learn something new". You see, I run a corporate version of Linux (yes, my company paid for Red Hat Enterprise) every day for 10 hours a day some days and 8-9 hours a day on others. When I come home, I like to either use my laptop or my tablet to check personal mail. Both of those devices are Apple. One runs MacOS and one runs iOS. Sometimes I use my phone, which just happens to be a Pixel 3 XL... Running Android. When I'm done there, I'm definitely in the mood to play video games. So, I hop over to my desktop PC that runs... You guessed it! Windows 10!

You get my picture? It's not learning. I already know these things. Why do it? Because I fucking can, and for no other reason.

So, @notimp please stop assuming you know what everyone else needs, wants, and can handle. It's pretentious and ludicrous.

BTW: this was typed on a Lumia 950 XL running Windows 10 ARM.

Last edited by dudemo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over