Gaming Is the Switch an eighth generation or ninth generation console?

Is the Switch eighth-gen or ninth-gen?

• Eighth generation

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Ninth generation

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The generations are not about specs, but about when a product is launched and what it's competing with.
I'd firmly put the switch into the handheld generations, but as a console, by your definition i'd put it into the 8th generation.
It was released in march 2017, that's just over three years after the xbox one (1197 days) and the PS4 (1204 days).

Since the switches release, the console was available for - as of today - 1221 days and the new generation of consoles (PS5 and XSX) are not yet even released (therefore 1221 days and counting), so the switch has existed in the eight generation for longer than half the generation.

Therefore, the only logical conclusion is that the Switch is a 9th gen handheld and an 8th gen console.

Last edited by Localhorst86,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Generation, or at leat the numbered versions, is an unofficial term that variously gets trotted in and out by various people wanting to describe one thing or another. I don't know if there is an official edict against it like sometimes get issued by any of the companies for when talking to the press but console makers don't appear to use it, historians and academics don't routinely use it, I would wager most of the gaming public (quickfire round name me two consoles from the third and sixth generations, or if that is hard their rough years of being the lead platform. If respectively I said NES and master system era/8 bit era and then PS2 and xbox era instead...), the press occasionally use it but that is sparing as well. It is not a term completely pulled out of someone's arse, might even be logically consistent at some level (next gen, current gen, previous gen are terms routinely understood and used, and abused) and is used in a few places.

The two main approaches are either
1) Order of system releases. If a new system is made that completely obviates the previous efforts then it is a new generation. Weird half measures have existed for a long time (see Amiga, though today most will probably look at the DSi and new 3ds) and some will also attempt to ponder backwards compatibility in this (was the GBM by virtue of its dropped GB/GBC...).
2) What their contemporary console rivals are or might be said to be. This can also mean we have to look at what games get made for it and their relative quality (the Wii had Call of Duty, and while it has its fans for the controls and gameplay it was never really the viable option for anybody playing it on say a PC where you could have kind of got something going on with the PS3 or 360). This gets harder as various things will join at various points (the Dreamcast probably being one of the harder to categorise ones) rather than necessarily be the 5-6 years then brand new console for every major player, even more so in the modern world where relative advancements in visual fidelity, input and whatever else are more minimal/less apparent unless you know what to look for (maybe even going backwards -- wide open levels and large levels seem to be a thing of the past on modern stuff compared to PS360 era and PC of the same timeframe)

Hybrid is a marketing term. There have been any number of handhelds that had some means of playing via TV or a TV out. If all the games play fully in handheld mode, are intended to be played as such and whatever else then it is a handheld. A minor speed boost to make up the relative DPI when you have more power and cooling available is meaningless. Amusingly that would probably mean the super game boy ( https://loveconquersallgam.es/post/2350461718/fuck-the-super-game-boy-introduction ) has a better claim to being a hybrid as it got plenty of processing extras, often colours, multiplayer that did not exist in the handheld mode and a very different experience as a result.
At the same time if Nintendo have in turn abandoned home consoles (which they appear to have) then yeah.
If it is a handheld then that also changes some things for people as the games get harder to compare.

Back to generations.
If it is in a line and we skip minor asides like the DSi and N3ds (both of which do have notable exclusives) and also completely gloss over the GB vs GBC never mind the pocket then yeah it is probably the first in the newest generation.
If contemporaries then the extraordinary length of the current generation means that the 2017 launch will have seen it spend much of its useful life competing against the PS4 and xbone, and as it starts to get a bit long in the tooth and devs start to do throwaway ports of things to it and other devices take focus away...

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the question here is should the Switch be categorized as a separate thing entirely? As it stands, if I had to choose if it was either a console or handheld, I would place it in the console camp based on sheer power alone. However, everyone knows that what it truly is is a hybrid. I have a feeling that this hybrid console is going to be a trend moving forward, at the very least with Nintendo. I don't know if any other companies will follow suit, but I can easily imagine Nintendo continuing to produce hybrids for at a minimum 2 more iterations. If that's the case, I think it's reasonable to put it on its own timeline; especially if other companies begin to produce hybrids, The Nintendo Switch is first gen hybrid console. Otherwise, I agree with whoever said the switch was en 8.5 console. It's (slightly) more powerful than the Wii U while the previous exclusive handheld (3DS) was only on par with the N64/Gameube. I can't make myself believe that a system more powerful than the companies most recent home console is "just a handheld with TV output".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptLqnNMcQk