Is The Avengers game still alive?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Guild McCommunist, May 6, 2012.

May 6, 2012
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    [​IMG]

While believed to be cancelled, the video game for The Avengers may be a reality, if a recent domain registration is anything to believe.

A domain name for "avengersbattleforearth.com" was registered the day before the world's greatest movie was released in cinemas. The game was previously under the development of THQ, with some promising pre-alpha footage showing a game that goes above and beyond the normal movie game tie in.

However, this new domain is registered under Ubisoft, not THQ, so whether this possible game will turn out to be anything like the footage is unknown.

It is worth noting though that the game would come out a significant time after the movie's release, leading it to no longer be a "promotional tool" like most movie games are.

:arrow: Source

If it's anything like that pre-alpha footage then it's a day one purchase. If it's a shitty movie game tie in then I'll hate Ubisoft forever.

2. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    Cool. Antoher reason my brother will steal my 3ds

3. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    Well no platforms are announced and if it's continuing the pre-alpha footage then it'll be Xbox 360/PS3 most likely.

4. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    well as long as it isnt aimed for the christmas market this could turn out to be a good game now they have missed the movie deadline

5. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    If it's anything like the movie (and by that, I mean awesome, you can count me in.

1 person likes this.
  6. gokujr1000

Member gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    *Looks at War Machine in the Logo*

What?

2 people like this.
  7. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    The pre-alpha footage looks cool and all, though melee-combat is very hard to do right in first-person. The flying-section with Ironman look very engaging but that`s probably because he has the most diverse arsenal, be it ranged or close combat!

I really hope the game is worth a try, since it does look very solid for a movie-game.

8. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Well their King Kong was pretty damn good.

Most of Ubisoft's licensed titles are crap but I see this to be more likely based more on the comics unless they'll release it for the DVD release.

I would have thought that Disney Interactive Studios would have wanted to make some titles, what with Disney owning Marvel and all and maybe they would be better as their own games can be decent enough. Either way I really doubt we'll see that first person game come back, maybe there was a reason to THQ canning it. Its a big license and they would have paid a lot for it as well as some dev time. Maybe it was pretty crappy or maybe not even remotely finished.

9. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    i heard the movie is really great and the hulk made it so therefore the big hulk image

10. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    War Machine had to be in the movie, he was even shown in early teasers, but then they removed him for whatever reason.

Also the image in the OP post is by far one of the shittiest fan-made posters I have ever seen in my life.

11. Puppy_Washer

Member Puppy_Washer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    [​IMG]

lol, nice! :lol:

12. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    War Machine wasn't in the movie.

And it was just the image on the news articles.

Marvel rights are complicated. Disney owns Marvel Comics, but Marvel properties in games and film are spread out.

Like for film, Sony owns Spiderman, Disney Pictures owns the current Avengers line-up (Iron Man, Thor, The Hulk, Captain America, Hawkeye, Black Widow, etc), and Fox owns The Fantastic Four and X-Men. It's kinda the same for video games. I think Activision owns the right to independent games based on the comics (Marvel Ultimate Alliance, X-Men Legends/Destiny, Spiderman Shattered Dimensions/Edge of Time, etc) but games based on the films are different. It's why Sega did the Iron Man video game while Ubisoft was originally gonna do the Avengers game.

13. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    Is this CG Don Cheadle? I mean, he was alreadly fugly, but man, he looks uglier as an action figure.

14. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I hope Ubisoft doesn't fuck up this game, that pre-alpha footage is just mind blowing.

15. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Actually Marvel did state that the game rights for Avengers, Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man & Thor have returned to them due to some contractual thing about the licenses needed to be used by a certain point and they were looking to either do something themselves or get another publisher to.

Rights are all over the place, especially in movies. Like Marvel could still use the Skrulls if they wanted to in a Marvel film as long as there was no mention of Fantastic Four (the only reason they didn't for Avengers was that they felt they needed to establish the team first without the whole "which mother fucker is a Skrull" element. Same with some X-Men, recently Kevin Feige said that they could use some X-Men in a Avengers film as while Fox could use any, they don't have 100% exclusive rights but Marvel could only use them if the film didn't refer to them as X-Men or something.

Frankly I'll be glad when they're all back in Marvel's hands but apparently they seem happy with what is being done with X-Men and Spider-Man now as long as the films are good. I know they have Blade and Punisher back now.

16. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    This better be as good as Spiderman 2 that's all I know.
    Edit: Ghars was right, I did mean 2.

17. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Highly doubt this game will be even remotely similar to the pre-alpha footage release banking on if this game still has a chance of survival. Ubisoft will make their own variation from scratch.

18. Gahars

United States
    You mean Spider-Man 2. The Spider-Man 3 game, like the movie it was based on, was pure ass.

1 person likes this.
  19. gokujr1000

Member gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia

The Spider-Man 3 Game was much more enjoyable than that shitfest of a movie.

20. Gahars

United States
    Like I said, both were terrible. The game had only one redeeming quality...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uZX60akANU

And that's just in the first five minutes.

4 people like this.