Is the amiibo fad over?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by laudern, Apr 9, 2016.

1. laudern
    OP

laudern GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2010
    Rural Queensland
    So I'm totally over my amiibo collection. I was online looking for games to buy and came across the stores amiibo collection and the vast majority were reduced by $5 or so dollars and there were a few I didn't have and would have been characters I would have bought for the discounted price back when originally released. But now, meh, I just don't see the value any more (if there ever was value).

Am I the only one who is over the amiibo fad?

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I don't think it's even close to being over. There's still decent sales for them and still people getting into them. They aren't nearly as bad as Skylanders, in that they didn't float the market nearly as much as they did.

3. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    no people still buy them as action figures regardless if they have a nintedo console or not. They can always change the design and poses and release it as a limited edition.

4. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    Never even got into it.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  5. keven3477

keven3477 Fresh Prince of Lemonade

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    Somwhere you can never find.
    well in stores I go, there are only animal crossing amiibos and a few common smash ones. everything else is e-bay exclusive. Still looking for samus and falco.

6. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    the bubble burst, all thats left is broken dreams and tears
    I hope people learn to stop buying into the artificial supply shortage that nintendo created

7. GuyInDogSuit

GuyInDogSuit I ain't your pa.

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    Antelope, CA
    There's a fad?

8. keven3477

keven3477 Fresh Prince of Lemonade

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    Somwhere you can never find.
    The supply shortage actually makes amiibo more interesting for me, knowing that you have a figure others don't have makes them more special. Although the downside being scalpers does annoy me.

9. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I'm the one that falls into the, "I really want them out of the box and on my shelf" collector. Got lucky on a few ebay auctions and for the price of three new and in box Amiibos, I got 12 pre-owned good condition Amiibos. Not too sure about buying the non-Smash Bros Amiibos yet but I started so I guess this'll be my hobby for a while.

TheVinAnator likes this.
  10. CharlesHoy

CharlesHoy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2012
    Only one I want is the gold Mario, I'm more than happy with my collection as it is.

11. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    you know, it's not actually made of gold... doesn't make you feel rich :/

12. CeeDee

CeeDee Heya!

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    You can go into a store and buy a Lucas amiibo, literally the only Mother 3 merch officially available in America, at a reduced price.

I think we're fine.

TheVinAnator and GuyInDogSuit like this.
  13. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    It depends on the person, I guess :P

I recently just started collecting Amiibo. My goal is to collect all the Amiibo by the end of the year.

14. Segtendo

Segtendo #TeamMarie

Jun 30, 2010
    United States
    Illinois
    I'm still working on getting amiibo. Almost have a full Smash line of amiibos, plus some others (Gold Mega Man, Wolf Link, Shovel Knight, Gold and Silver Mario, Mario Maker ones, green Yarn Yoshi that I got with Woolly World, and the Splatoon amiibos).
    It's still on of the rarest amiibos out there. I thank NowInStock.net for letting me know when they were available when pre-orders went down.
    The first year of amiibos in a nutshell.

Last edited by Segtendo, Apr 20, 2016
    migles likes this.
  15. CharlesHoy

CharlesHoy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2012
    Never came out in the UK so I missed out, did manage to order the silver one though!

migles likes this.
  16. Hungry Friend

Hungry Friend It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Apr 16, 2015
    United States
    I hope so, but I use amiibos as an example of how much DLC scams have infected gaming as a whole, because Nintendo is the most "old-school" of the big 3 console makers. As a 31 year old gamer who remembers what it was like in the late 80s-early 00s, I miss the days when I could buy a game and be confident that I was getting a complete product. Naturally there were crappy games and bugs back then just as there are now but companies had to release games that were more or less complete before online play and having an internet connection became a requirement/the norm. It's certainly a double-edged sword, as online play can be pretty awesome.

In short I wish DLC, microtransactions and the like would disappear but due to the circumstances and general culture of today's industry, that is admittedly an unrealistic wish.

Varia, GuyInDogSuit and Touko White like this.
  17. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    I think sometimes it's kind of hard to draw the line between DLC that's just an extension to a game, and DLC that obviously should have been part of the game such that the original was clearly stripped down to profit more from later

18. BurningDesire

BurningDesire Nepu Nepu Nepu

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    It will never be over. There will be greater and new amiibo.

19. GuyInDogSuit

GuyInDogSuit I ain't your pa.

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    Antelope, CA
    Case in point, Street Fightter V.

20. Varia

Varia GBAtemp Fan

Nov 19, 2010
    Great post, and agree wholeheartedly.

I really hope this amiibo fad dies, it's getting annoying that Nintendo integrates these with their games. Sure the content is usually trivial, but I was really pissed after hearing that UFO is going to be locked behind an amiibo wall in Kirby Planet Robobot.