Gaming Is the 3DS worth getting?

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey All,

I have been a way for while as the Wii Scene and the DS scene has been dead game wise of late, but decided to check back in. I have always bought game systems on launch day, especially handhelds. I have to say this is the first time I have not done so yet.

I am pretty surprised by the 3DS to be honest. I have no clue what Nintendo is doing. The system it self is drastically over priced for a Big N product. Then once you get past that, you have the amazing underwhelming launch titles. The highest score so far is for Street Fighter? Then you look at the the game line up and I don't see more the 2 or 3 games that are even worthwhile in the next year. So what is going on?

So for those of you who bought this. What makes this worth while at the moment?

On a separate note, the 3D really scares me. I tried playing it at Gamestop for like 10 minutes. When I stopped, my depth of field was all screwed up. I commute on a train and then go to drive. I don't want to be getting into car accidents because the 3DS is screwing up my depth of field. Does your mind eventually get use to it, so you don't have a messed up depth of field for 30 minutes after playing the system for a while?

TheWon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I look at getting a 3DS like getting a PS3 at launch. Is it worth the extra money! Ya overall some of the games a lackluster. Still out of the 13 games there are at least 6 worth buying. Then you have a fully backwards compatibly system. So you can still play all your old DS games even the import ones. The new features that are in it, and that are coming in May. Also would give it a vote in the purchase area. Now if it's a eye issue I can't help you there.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, I speak for myself, my 3D is always at max and so far I haven't had any problems (either with and without glasses) but that really depends from the person and adjusting the 3D level (with the slide on the top screen) often helps.

As for the 3DS... I dont have games yet, however, there's several fun things to do. There's the Streetpass thingy and it has some fun games, that can be playing either by passing by other people with a 3DS or buying them with the cash you get by walking (you can only get 10 per day tho).
There's also the AR Cards and games, they're pretty awesome and you can really see what the 3DS is made off from them you have several mini-games there, which are quite fun and even more than can be unlocked.

It can also be used as a 3D camera and although the quality ain't so great, it's still pretty fun. With the upcomming updates in May you'll also be able to browse the internet and use the Wii Shop.

Anyway, to sum it up. The 3DS is pricey but it's worth it, not to mention that several great tittles will be comming up like Zelda, Kid Icarus, MGS, Resident Evil, etc. ^^

Xanthious

Scratch & Sniff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A co-worker of mine bought one on launch and he's largely unimpressed. As you stated the launch titles are underwhelming at best and he claims that he gets headaches if he plays for too long with the 3D on. On top of that he says that the 3D "sweet spot" is pretty sensitive and that if he's not sitting fairly still the 3D effects disappear off and on.

Personally I tried the Street Fighter game and the "3D" to me looked more like three seperate 2D layers rather than actual 3D. If you were to draw a background on a piece of paper and then draw characters on another piece of paper and cut them out and put them in front of the first piece and then draw stuff like bushes, boxes etc on another piece of paper and cut those out and put those at the very front you'd get a very similar look.

Personally, I would hold off. Especially if you already have a DS. Maybe pick up a 3DS when/if a decent selection of games comes out. I just can't see putting down 250 dollars for a portable that you are going to be mainly playing plain old DS games on. Furthermore, if you wait, by the time a decent selection of games are available there may be a second gen 3DS released and who knows what improvements they will have made to it by then (better battery life, less sensitive 3D "sweet spot", more features, etc).

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think the sweet spot is pretty relative and depends from person to person. I play on my 3DS mainly while moving and I never got problems with it.
But yeah, if you're not interested in any of the games released so far, you can hold on your buy, since you wont lose anything from it. =3

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason I thought maybe I should pick it up is because from what I understand, Nintendo is having issues producing more because of what happened in Japan.

So maybe once the good games actually do come, you won't be able to find a 3DS.

I actually also worry about headaches. I get Migraines now, so I would do anything not to trigger them.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm it really depends on the person, but its really worth its price! I got 5 games(soon 6) and yeah I played 3 hours nonstop full 3D. And well my sight is great!
biggrin.gif

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's all about the games. If you don't see anything you wanna play right now, then there is no point in getting it. Personally, I'm having some fun with Samurai Warriors, and strongly looking forward to Dead or Alive soon.

lithium210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got it recently and still saving up to get Street Fighter but besides that im having fun just messing around with the camera and face raiders. Personally i think its worth it and like i said, been having lots of fun with it without any games.

Deanoaka

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was just like you, a bit sceptical at first.

But then I took the plunge on Monday and I haven't regretted it once. It's great once you get well and truly involved in the system, i.e - Streetpass etc.

Street Fighter is great but I think Pilotwings is the one that really shows the capabilities of the 3D.

You don't have to always play in 3D to enjoy it too, everything looks great in normal 2D view. I will be playing Ocarina Of Time in 2D rather then 3D which I personally think will make it more enjoyable.

Upcoming titles look great, Metal Gear, Kid Icarus, Mario, Mario Kart, bound to be a smash bros so it really is looking good. Plus I don't expect a revision to the system to take place until mid 2012, just like all Nintendo handhelds have done (apart from a few new colors etc.)

Go for it, you won't regret it!

IchigoK2031

Wannabe Shirow Miwa...
Trophies
Website
yuukouken.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
idk about you...but I'm waiting for NGP to come out, and for people to experience both fully, and for some reviews and comparisons, then I will buy whichever one i feel like is better, and of course price will be a big factor in my decision as well. But as of right now, if you NEED a new console NOW, go for the 3DS, its a pretty decent system, a bit overpriced at that, but a good system.

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IchigoK2031 said:
idk about you...but I'm waiting for NGP to come out, and for people to experience both fully, and for some reviews and comparisons, then I will buy whichever one i feel like is better, and of course price will be a big factor in my decision as well. But as of right now, if you NEED a new console NOW, go for the 3DS, its a pretty decent system, a bit overpriced at that, but a good system.

I was actually planning on getting the NGP and the 3DS. I commute 4 hours round trip daily, so I need the entertainment on my train ride.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Unless you read everything about the Nintendo 3DS multiple times a day, since it was announced almost a year ago (Like me), then it is completely worth it.

If you're on the border of getting one, it's probably better to wait until Ocarina of Time 3D or Kid Icarus: Uprising comes out.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
awssk8er said:
Unless you read everything about the Nintendo 3DS multiple times a day, since it was announced almost a year ago (Like me), then it is completely worth it.
I've been reading everything since before E3 and I think it's totally worth it.
I'd actually probably think it's not worth it if I didn't know all I know about it.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Since the NGP is a Sony console, I can pretty much be sure that it'll be more expensive than the 3DS =S
And 3DS is actualy quite resilent, I dropped mine in the middle of the street today by mistake and it barely got dented, only a really small scratch can be seen on it. ^^

gengertheghost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes. Yes, it may seem pricey, but it's worth it. I got Pilotwings Resort and It's amazing. I think you need to get used to the 3D effect before there is no headaches. If your in a car playing, yeah there is. But sitting/standing/lying etc not really. The launch title games, yeah they're crap. But the later ones will rock eg: Mario Kart. Zelda Oricanca and Kid Icarus.

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gengertheghost said:
Yes. Yes, it may seem pricey, but it's worth it. I got Pilotwings Resort and It's amazing. I think you need to get used to the 3D effect before there is no headaches. If your in a car playing, yeah there is. But sitting/standing/lying etc not really. The launch title games, yeah they're crap. But the later ones will rock eg: Mario Kart. Zelda Oricanca and Kid Icarus.
people get sick when they play videogames or read in a car regardless of whether or not they're in 3D
tongue.gif

and yay, one of those games that are supposed to be made of 100% awesomesauce actually ISN'T a port/remake. however, the other two are.
we've had mario kart for almost 20 years - nintendo keeps remaking the same shit racing game and people lap it up because it's a mario game.
and zelda ocarina (not oricanca) of time is just a remake.

name some super duper awesometastic 3DS games besides kirby or layton that aren't ports/remakes.

basically, if you feel like playing the entire SNES, GBA, DS, and possibly NGC libraries over again but in 3D and with shitty wii graphics, then the 3DS is for you.
if you want original, inspired games. start looking at other systems :/
i don't hate the 3DS, but sadly this is all true. and it hurts me to say so ;-;

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pippin666 said:
The NGP will cost more than what the iPad2 cost right now.

Pip'

And Today's basless comment goes to...

Personally I'd wait a while untill there are some actual games are released. The line up at the moment consists of ports and glorified technical demos bar SSF.

AndroidDem0man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS is totally worth it, its just Amazing. I got SSF4, LEgo tar wars the clone wars, Rayman, and monkeyball
The best 2 titles out of the oens i got is Star wars and SSF4.
Btw I play with 3d on fully all the time and it never messes up my eyes, Though i barely play with 3D on. It looks like it sometimes messes with the game quality which is great, i usually turn it up when shit falls or stuff blows up, its cool then
I cannnot wait till the may update, and see what E-store things will be there, Hopefully FLIPNOTTTEEEESTUUUDIOOOOOO will be back!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, How high are you?