Gaming Is "Nostalgia" a good game?

kingtomy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i was thinking of downloading Nostalgia but i dunno if its a good game or not. I love RPG games like Final Fantasy (except all the ones after 6) so is it something like that?

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kingtomy said:
So i was thinking of downloading Nostalgia but i dunno if its a good game or not. I love RPG games like Final Fantasy (except all the ones after 6) so is it something like that?

Yes, it's much like those games. Very bland, typical story, tons of spells and skills that you'll never use because it's more practical just to use normal attacks.

Snide remarks aside, it's a great attempt at making an old school style RPG. Best attempt I've seen on the DS yet, so have at it. Plus if you're just downloading it, you've got nothing to lose.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would never call Final Fantasy 6 bland in terms of story. In terms of story, it holds up to this day.

But yes, get Nostalgia if you have any liking of classic old 80's and 90's RPG's. Plus you have airship battles and a Final Fantasy X styled grid ability system (which doesn't suck, trust me, even if you hate FFX).

htoxad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kingtomy said:
I'm not really digging it.

Go play the remakes of Dragon Quest 4 and 5 if you haven't.
They're excellent.

C2B

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
DS1 said:
kingtomy said:

Yes, it's much like those games. Very bland, typical story, tons of spells and skills that you'll never use because it's more practical just to use normal attacks.

Snide remarks aside, it's a great attempt at making an old school style RPG. Best attempt I've seen on the DS yet, so have at it. Plus if you're just downloading it, you've got nothing to lose.

Yeah, well except for the fact that 80% of all your "modern" jrpgs resolve around 1 incredible overused sci-fi/fantasy cliche which is surrounded by dozens of layers of useless badly-written cutscences, charcter progression that actually explain anything and is just a excuse for letting them act out of character and (last but not least) stupid dialog that actually resolves in NOTHING.

Those "bland" games are still played and well respected today. And that isn't because of "nostalgia". -.-

So jump down from your high horse.

@kingtomy: Try chrono trigger and DQ.

kingtomy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
C2B said:
DS1 said:
kingtomy said:

Yeah, well except for the fact that 80% of all your "modern" jrpgs resolve around 1 incredible overused sci-fi/fantasy cliche which is surrounded by dozens of layers of useless badly-written cutscences, charcter progression that actually explain anything and is just a excuse for letting them act out of character and (last but not least) stupid dialog that actually resolves in NOTHING.

Those "bland" games are still played and well respected today. And that isn't because of "nostalgia". -.-

Already played Chrono Trigger and both DQ's. actually played most good RPG's on DS already. so im hearing some yes's and some no's about nostalgia.
k i guess im gonna download it then, no harm in trying it.

C2B

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
kingtomy said:
Alrrady played Chrono Trigger and both DQ's. actually played most good RPG's on DS already. so im hearing some yes's and some no's about nostalgia.
k i guess im gonna download it then, no harm in trying it.

What about the game contact and sonic chronicles (for that matter also the 3 M&L games)?

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
C2B said:
DS1 said:
kingtomy said:

I don't recall saying modern JRPGs were any better in terms of story, but they are much, much better in terms of gameplay. Do you have anything constructive to say about the boring gameplay?

Also to the guy who said FF6's story held up: I agree, it's a fantastic game all around, but I didn't think people would take me so seriously so I didn't rule it out.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Erm, you're downloading it, why are you asking us? I don't think wasting 3 minutes of your life to download it is a serious issue if you didn't like it. If you like classic-style RPG games, you'll like this. Odd enough, I absolutely hate Final Fantasy games but love this one. I have no clue why, considering they have very similar battle engines (well at least FF 1-3).

C2B

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
DS1 said:
I don't recall saying modern JRPGs were any better in terms of story, but they are much, much better in terms of gameplay. Do you have anything constructive to say about the boring gameplay?

Also to the guy who said FF6's story held up: I agree, it's a fantastic game all around, but I didn't think people would take me so seriously so I didn't rule it out.

Very bland, typical story,

just to quote you. And did I say something bad about the gameplay, for that matter.
wink.gif

Well, not much. In terms of gameplay you mean skill-system etc.? Because in this case most rpgs are different from each other. The main thing that I could critisize about modern systems is that they are WAY to restricted. There isn't much choice anymore (Well it discomplicates to find out the best ways to raise a character etc. that's maybe better for some) For that matter, old games are/were usually played dead. So with every possible combination. (That's still in some games today, like I said. There are exepctions)

But, I don't want to have an argument with you, just don't expect if you discredit something that no one's calling you back on that.
gbasp.gif
moogle.gif

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
I would never call Final Fantasy 6 bland in terms of story. In terms of story, it holds up to this day.

But yes, get Nostalgia if you have any liking of classic old 80's and 90's RPG's. Plus you have airship battles and a Final Fantasy X styled grid ability system (which doesn't suck, trust me, even if you hate FFX).

While I do agree the story of FF6 is awesome it always bugged me that it pretty much died once you hit the 2nd part of the game.....

Ishidori

Trophies
XP
Country
FF6's Plot still being good now days. Even FF4 was able to stand yet in terms of story.

Nostalgia is a pretty average rpg, just like almost every rpg on SNES. It will no touch you like a FF or DQ, but you can have some fun. Tough bosses suck (2 or 3 Combo attack and sayonara)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
clegion said:
meh i killed some with one

overdrive
combo attack

dead boss
airship battle however had a much different curve on diffculty after getting the altitude

Yeah, that's what I do. At this point with Overdrive + Combo Attack I'll hit 200+ damage (since my Combo Attack hits 4 times and Overdrive boosts my damage to 50-ish per hit).

clegion

Trophies
Website
cfatalis.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
basically we got a skill that got automatically stronger everytime you level up and get new piece of equipment, and can even get stronger afterwards by raising the skill level

have anyone find a use for Pad?, he looks useless in my party

outgum

Pokemanz Master
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
i dont know what people see in this game O_O
i really dont like it. im not into it as much as i was FF series
i dont believe you can compare it to FF as it totally outclasses it

Now, Dragonball Z: Attack of the sayians is a good game
happy.gif

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Its not bad but it doesnt really suck you in... pretty decent graphics tho and the real world map is actually pretty cool especially if you know your stuff but to be honest i think this game is right on the line of being good / not good and it varies from person to person as the previous posts seem to surgest

For me tho id say if you play alot of RPG games on various consoles then id give it a miss because it does nothing that you wont have seen before , but on the flip side if your not a big RPG fan its a decent enough game but again if your a big fan of RPG games like i am. you most likely wont enjoy it.

.Darky

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
clegion said:
basically we got a skill that got automatically stronger everytime you level up and get new piece of equipment, and can even get stronger afterwards by raising the skill level

have anyone find a use for Pad?, he looks useless in my party
Slowing down enemies is quite useful. ;|

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte