Is Loader impact the performance?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by tomrev, Dec 18, 2009.

Dec 18, 2009
  1. tomrev
    OP

Member tomrev GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm curious that flashcard performance is related to loader software or not.

2. AceOfAces

Member AceOfAces GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Loaders only allow you to bypass AP. It prevents black screens, freezings, etc. of new games.

3. tomrev
    OP

United States
    During game playing, is the loader software / hardware do any processing such as file transfer(except save file in MicroSD card) / some loop programs or only load all of rom file to memory? . If flashcard is do anything except load rom to NDS memory and save file in mem card, why it consume some of battery power?

4. AceOfAces

Member AceOfAces GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It consumes battery power because it converts battery power to light, and sound, or something of that nature. I'm kinda new to computer terms, meanings, etc.

5. tomrev
    OP

United States
    No, I didn't mean that. When playing with flashcard, it's drain battery power more than using normal ds game card. I curious that which process on flashcard drain battery power while playing game(except loading rom and saving files).

6. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    The extra power drain probably comes from the microsd reader built into the cart. It's just a hunch and I could be wrong though.

7. mewtwo-EX

Newcomer mewtwo-EX Member

United States
    Unless battery life is significantly impacted (say, 25% less life), this description applies. If it is significantly impacted, your flash card may have problems.

It's important to know what is going on inside a DS game card and a flash card. The DS game card has a ROM chip and probably a Flash memory chip for saves. The ROM really only uses power when it is read, and this is very small. The flash is only used when saving and loading. A flash card on the other hand, has a microcontroller, uSD card driver and the uSD card itself to run. The microcontroller is necessary to read the uSD card and output the signals that the DS expects. As a result, it is running all the time.

TrolleyDave is correct in saying that the uSD reader contributes to power drain, but most comes from the microcontroller. It's just a small disadvantage to using Flash cards.

8. tomrev
    OP

United States
    Thank you for comments and knowledges. [​IMG]