Android is it worth rooting my nvidia shield portable ?

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there is ever a mistake with the rooting process or you don't like something that you modified, you are always able to revert back to stock and unroot. Rooting any android device isn't necessarily risky. It depends on what you put on it. Just don't mess with the kernel or boot.

I've been told this before and I'll tell you. Don't root if you don't know what you're going to do with it

Reactions: SuperDan

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Respect for the reply .. i never rooted a android device before and i really dont think im going to .. i mean a watched a youtube video on how to do it .. looks simple enough , i hacked many consoles before , i was kinda hoping kingroot would do most of it for me ,.. its a powerful device best android thing ive ever owned , far surpasses my samsung s7, which i thought decent, the only reason im interested is because some games i.e GTA san A .., Trine 2, Half Life episode 1 & 2 you just cant copy to SD .. and i thought this would be a way around that issue .. as i was getting tempted on grabbing a 128 SD card and putting a ton of games on there..

Last edited by SuperDan,
Reactions: Xanthe

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Respect for the reply .. i never rooted a android device before and i really dont think im going to .. i mean a watched a youtube video on how to do it .. looks simple enough , i hacked many consoles before , i was kinda hoping kingroot would do most of it for me ,.. its a powerful device best android thing ive ever owned , far surpasses my samsung s7, which i thought decent, the only reason im interested is because some games i.e GTA san A .., Trine 2, Half Life episode 1 & 2 you just cant copy to SD .. and i thought this would be a way around that issue .. as i was getting tempted on grabbing a 128 SD card and putting a ton of games on there..
Personally, I wouldn't root just for the sake of copying some games to an SD card. It can be difficult to unroot, and sometimes its just a hassle that I'd rather not deal with. If I were you, I would just buy a bigger SD card rather than risk doing anything harmful to the device.

But thats what I would personally do.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I wouldn't root just for the sake of copying some games to an SD card. It can be difficult to unroot, and sometimes its just a hassle that I'd rather not deal with. If I were you, I would just buy a bigger SD card rather than risk doing anything harmful to the device.
Yeah that is what I'm doing actually I just ordered a 128 SD card
Just a shame I can't copy certain things I want across.. Such is life I guess

Last edited by SuperDan,
D

Deleted User

You also need root access to "force move" apps from Internal memory to SDCard. Android never moves everything, so best thing is to use root apps.

You can also screw around with overclocking, UI changing (Which can break your whole UI and Status Bar) and other miscellaneous stuff such as installing a different OS [Lineage OS, really recommend it, but that requires unlocking "boot loader" and flashing custom recovery]
And you can cheat in-games.

Other than that, there's no benefits from having root. [You can delete system apps etc. Many benefits]

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You also need root access to "force move" apps from Internal memory to SDCard. Android never moves everything, so best thing is to use root apps.

You can also screw around with overclocking, UI changing (Which can break your whole UI and Status Bar) and other miscellaneous stuff such as installing a different OS [Lineage OS, really recommend it, but that requires unlocking "boot loader" and flashing custom recovery]
And you can cheat in-games.

Other than that, there's no benefits from having root. [You can delete system apps etc. Many benefits]

its only a few game apps i can not send to my SD card .. most of them work , im not going to root my device i like it ... and there really is no need to overclock it its very powerful as it is .. but thanks for the info ...

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Seems like every time I root mine, another OTA update comes out, making me unroot, install, re-root. I'm just gonna give up on rooting it until support for it is officially dead, then perma-root it.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like every time I root mine, another OTA update comes out, making me unroot, install, re-root. I'm just gonna give up on rooting it until support for it is officially dead, then perma-root it.

from what you guys are telling me.. the rooting thing seems to be a a android nightmare..

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
from what you guys are telling me.. the rooting thing seems to be a a android nightmare..
So far it is, but since the last update only gave us Lollipop and not Marshmallow or Nougat, I think it's a good time to try rooting it again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftyFz0yBxj8