Is it worth getting a mid range GPU with already an Steam Deck ordered?

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The steam deck's GPU is roughly equivalent to a 1050ti, but with a few different strengths and weaknesses that will influence performance levels at various tasks. If you get a 3050 it will definitely outperform the steam deck's graphical capabilities, but if it's worth it to you that's something you'll have to figure out for yourself.

You could theoretically try using the steam deck as a desktop replacement, but in order to do so you'd definitely need USB dock with HDMI output, and you'd be severely limited with USB ports.

Your best bet would be to check some online reviews of games you'd like to play and what specs they need, then decide based on that whether or not you need more power.

Raku3702

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kamowin.com
XP
Country
Spain
The steam deck's GPU is roughly equivalent to a 1050ti, but with a few different strengths and weaknesses that will influence performance levels at various tasks. If you get a 3050 it will definitely outperform the steam deck's graphical capabilities, but if it's worth it to you that's something you'll have to figure out for yourself.

You could theoretically try using the steam deck as a desktop replacement, but in order to do so you'd definitely need USB dock with HDMI output, and you'd be severely limited with USB ports.

Your best bet would be to check some online reviews of games you'd like to play and what specs they need, then decide based on that whether or not you need more power.
Ok thanks

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Depends on whether you're trying to play games at higher resolutions or not. Steam Deck is more than powerful enough for good performance at 800p, but obviously isn't gonna be acceptable for playing AAA games at 1440p. If all you play is indies, Deck is all you need.

Raku3702

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kamowin.com
XP
Country
Spain
Depends on whether you're trying to play games at higher resolutions or not. Steam Deck is more than powerful enough for good performance at 800p, but obviously isn't gonna be acceptable for playing AAA games at 1440p. If all you play is indies, Deck is all you need.
I will play games like CS:GO, Apex, Valorant on Windows on the built in screen

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mid range 40's series gpu
What is the appeal though? Most people I know still run 1080p monitors. Even a 1660ti can run titles for that at ultra. I mean if you want RTX that bad go for a good 20 or 30 series card. But it is never a good idea to buy the brand new card that just came out. They tend to drop in price by 50% or more after a few years.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I will play games like CS:GO, Apex, Valorant on Windows on the built in screen
Shouldn't have trouble hitting 60 FPS in those, but I personally wouldn't want to be playing at 800p and with a controller/touchpad when it comes to competitive online shooters. IMO Steam Deck is perfect for everything except competitive FPS and RTS.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I would say no. My pc is now almost exclusively a workstation, as all my gaming is now on the deck. Yes, you can stream from your pc to the deck, but to me it sounds more like a "it has that too" than a feature anyone really uses.

But though I'm not up to knowledge on gpu's anymore, I can't help wondering: what do you currently have?

Raku3702

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kamowin.com
XP
Country
Spain
I would say no. My pc is now almost exclusively a workstation, as all my gaming is now on the deck. Yes, you can stream from your pc to the deck, but to me it sounds more like a "it has that too" than a feature anyone really uses.

But though I'm not up to knowledge on gpu's anymore, I can't help wondering: what do you currently have?
i have gtx 960 4gb

Raku3702

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kamowin.com
XP
Country
Spain

i have the switch also the xb1s and a wii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: so true