Is it safe to put an AirTag in my Steam Deck?

Butterscotch_96

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have mostly Apple devices and as a result I have a lot of AirTags. I have one attached to my Steam Deck case and I know there is some free space in the grips on the back so I thought of an idea. Theoretically would I be able to literally put an AirTag inside my Deck and would it be safe? I don't think it would be dangerous as it's just plastic and I could use electrical tape or something to stop it from rattling around inside but I want to ask here before I accidentally break my favorite device I own.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
It definitely can be done in terms of fitting, I'd say you probably want electrical tape that can also handle heat, though, since it'd probably come loose really quick from the thermals. They use Bluetooth, right? I'd wonder if that'd screw with the SD's range, or wireless or cause interference.

Butterscotch_96

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AirTags are unfortunately exploited by bad actors to stalk people and track where they live.
it is literally my airtag
Post automatically merged:

It definitely can be done in terms of fitting, I'd say you probably want electrical tape that can also handle heat, though, since it'd probably come loose really quick from the thermals. They use Bluetooth, right? I'd wonder if that'd screw with the SD's range, or wireless or cause interference.
i had it for like two days now and it doesn't seem to interfere with anything. even played minecraft with two of my friends and the wi-fi wasn't an issue. didn't try it with bluetooth controllers though

Reactions: chrisrlink

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AirTags are unfortunately exploited by bad actors to stalk people and track where they live.
I Read reports on that and the reports are more on bad actors sticking their own airtags on cars and such to stalk rather than hacking into the victims own airtags if only there was a non disablable service that you can toggle on the steam client (you need your password and all) plus a few safeguards too to mitigate stalking,something similar to tracking windows PC's and FMIP (find my iphone)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: