Is it safe for me to update now?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by JJBro1, Nov 4, 2008.

Nov 4, 2008
  1. JJBro1
    OP

Member JJBro1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I just updated the homebrew channel to beta , is it safe to download nintendo's new update? Is there anything else i need to prepare before updating?

2. g4jek8j54

Member g4jek8j54 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    There is really no point in updating to the latest firmware as of right now. However, if you want access to the Wii Shop Channel, just download and install the following...

Wii Shop and IOS51 installer - WiiBrew

Although it probably doesn't matter which one you use, Tona's version will place the signing bug into IOS51, while Muzer's version will not.

3. JJBro1
    OP

Member JJBro1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    it's so i can add wii points to buy guitar hero songs

4. Ajax

Newcomer Ajax Member

United States
    Short answer ...yes

Long answer, probably not. While it is 'safe' to update, you lose a lot of potential hackability of your Wii, as the new update patches the signing bug out of all IOSs, so programs that previously took advantage of the bug no longer work. A much better alternative would be to grab the Wii Shop and IOS51 installer and just install the new shop channel and IOS51 while retaining the signing bug.

All the new functionality without the mess.

EDIT: Yikes! Look at all those posts that happened while i was typing!

5. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    lol@ajax - good write up either way ... its just them pesky fast typers getting in before you.
    Ohh and JJ - have a look around the threads and see how many people have had problems AFTER updating - it will be enough to put you off

6. Ajax

Newcomer Ajax Member

United States
    Incidentally enough I am actually one of the few who updated their Wii's to the Oct 23 update... shame on me.

It was perhaps 1:00 AM on the 23rd in my timezone, and I really wanted something from the shop channel. I may have even been one of the first people to update lol. I was rather surprised when I read later what the update had done.

I'm just glad I had a cios installed, or things would have been much harder to fix. [​IMG]